Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions For Long Jacket

pipvh

Practically Family
I've decided to go for a long-ish, 1920s/1930s style: 28-30 inches. What I'd really like is a Himel Canuck or one of the Japanese 'railroad coats' made by people like Freewheelers and Rainbow Country but those are waaay out of my budget. Obvious choices are the Aero Mulligan and Teamster, but I'm hoping for something a bit more unusual. Single breasted, button or zip. I'm liking this Whitefeather car coat, for instance: http://whitefeathermfg.com/produkt/1930s-style-car-coat/

Any pointers from the FL hive mind?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As I was reading your post, Whitefeather's car coat immediately came to mind, then I read that you are considering WF. That would be my suggestion. Italian veg tanned HH and fantastic workmanship. I am considering WF's A-1.

Edward

Bartender
Are you looking for any particular hide / weight? The Aero Hudson look pretty cool, though it's definitely a cold weather jacket. The Wayfarer might be able to support a bit of extra length - best to ask Aero for their opinion on whether the design would still look 'right' with that. I imagine they could do it if they're happy it doesn't look "wrong".

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Then there's the Pegasus car coat: http://www.pegasusjackets.com/car-coat-description.php Not keen on the action back, though.

That Pegasus is a fairly rude item to my eye. Awful back seam, massive cargo pockets, side adjusters that stick out like Mickey Mouse ears.. Here's the thing. The first jacket you posted is simplicity incarnate. Subtle as they come. Is that the look you are after or do you want features that... stick out? Any long jacket will look good if it fits you well. But what you want your jacket to be? If I were doing this I would get a custom Aero Herc like this one. Gone are the pocket flaps (they upset the balance and annoy me) but for some reason I like the other ornamental features like the piping.

Hercules.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The Herc's a nice design, though I liked the pockets as an interesting detail. How about a Mulligan with a mouton collar added for a bit of variety?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'm liking this Whitefeather car coat, for instance: http://whitefeathermfg.com/produkt/1930s-style-car-coat/

Love this one, though I dont like the A2ish pocket flaps. It is similar to a Teamster and other jackets without the action back.
Personally I think buttons suit longer jackets rather than zips, and double breasted's such as Aero's Barnstormer look better with a belt.
But that is my choice. If you find a jacket you like I would advise trying one on, it may look good in a catalogue or image but might not suite you or you may not like it when you see yourself in a mirror(Like me with MA1s)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I've decided to go for a long-ish, 1920s/1930s style: 28-30 inches. What I'd really like is a Himel Canuck or one of the Japanese 'railroad coats' made by people like Freewheelers and Rainbow Country but those are waaay out of my budget. Obvious choices are the Aero Mulligan and Teamster, but I'm hoping for something a bit more unusual. Single breasted, button or zip. I'm liking this Whitefeather car coat, for instance: http://whitefeathermfg.com/produkt/1930s-style-car-coat/

I have a Teamster and a Mulligan. My Teamster is 28.5" and Mulligan 27" backs. As a point of reference, I am 6'2" but am "high waisted" with long arm/legs. My Teamster was designed with 1" subtracted from the standard and the Mulligan 1" added to the standard. If you want a jacket in the 28"-30" I would go with the Teamster as the Mulligan is designed to be a shorter fitting jacket. My Teamster is brown FQHH lined with moleskin in the body shell and cotton drill in the sleeves. My Mulligan is lined with cotton drill throughout and doubles as a sports coat and worn to work with blue shirt, tie, and slacks. Hope this helps.

schitzo

Suspended
Why don't you get an Aero Cropduster and ask them to put Hercules styled pockets on it i.e. 2 cargos with handwarmers and 1 slightly off vertical zipped breast pocket, in black goat

Plumbline

One Too Many
The coat you posted looks remarkably similar to the Aero VDR ( Vest De Rallye) or the Alexanders Lavant ... both of which are great longer coat options. I had my black Alexanders Lavant cut slim in the body and it give and much neater fit ( 29" back) .. and it works really well.

Aero's Long Halfbelt is one of my favourite jackets ( although mine (44") is only 27" in the back ..... in addition Alexanders do both the long rider and the Spiegel both of which come in at around 30"

The Aero Barnstormer and the Alexanders Montana ( both very similar ) are amazing long coats and very traditional in both design and construction. Both of my Aeros (42") came in at 29". Don't have a Montana so can't comment.

The Aero Mariner ( not sure if this is still current) and the Alexanders Peacoat ..... again really nice longer coats .. not sure of length.

Just some food for thought ...... also Stuar at Lost Worlds does some nice long coats and these would be really well engineered.

Edward

Bartender
Love this one, though I dont like the A2ish pocket flaps. It is similar to a Teamster and other jackets without the action back.
Personally I think buttons suit longer jackets rather than zips, and double breasted's such as Aero's Barnstormer look better with a belt.
But that is my choice. If you find a jacket you like I would advise trying one on, it may look good in a catalogue or image but might not suite you or you may not like it when you see yourself in a mirror(Like me with MA1s)

I like a belt on a DB too, though with a 3/4 length, if you're prone to wearing it open a lot, for me they do better without the belt.

pipvh

Practically Family
Good suggestions, all. I'm looking for something lighter than a Barnstormer or a Hudson, ideally, and I have a personal aversion to cargo/handwarmer pockets, though I really like A1/G1 pockets on a longer jacket :rolleyes:

Here's a vintage number I'd love to have copied (making the pocket flaps a bit more sensible): hunting A1.JPG

Otherwise, possibly a Plainsman with G1 pockets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy