Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits going up

yorkshirechap

Familiar Face
I've noticed over the last couple of weeks (in the UK) a sudden surge of sellers on ebay selling what they claim are suits, anywhere from 30's to 60's that are clearly not and prices have been rising steadily too.

Today I saw a tweed suit that the buyer was claiming to be 60's or possibly even 50's but the photograph of the label he included clearly has 'Mar 80' written on it! I wrote and suggested he reconsider the description.

Also love the Marks and Spencer double breasted suits being advertised as '40's ganster style'.

Has anyone else noticed this have I missed something!

Fidena

One of the Regulars
Been like that for a long time. To some people any old db suit is "forties".

Eh, it's understandable. Takes a while to learn the button stances and fabrics to determine age, especially of you don't know much of anything about suits.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Can't see the issue personally if it's sold as 'style' and NOT the original...the real experts(folks on here!)will know it also should mean people buying on a whim for themed weddings etc don't get the genuine article...sad fact is we can't have it all to ourselves forever as any 'niche' soon becomes exploited, take the 'fixed gear' cycle craze I was riding a fixed gear way before the craze started(RO Harrison c 1950 machine)but then students started riding them(after copying London couriers) this pushed prices up on all machines and or frames that could be used, prices on Ebay shot up then big manufacturers caught on and brought out their own modern take on the machines, other makers brought out period style parts and accessories to suit the craze and now it's dying off again, al it means is that sheds have been emptied and there is now a real wealth of stuff saved from the scraop heap or in our case a moth infested wardrobe forever more or worse still the clothes recycling bank and then to scrap rags!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy