Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer rules.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
summer is very near, the sun is , everyday, hotter.
Image to enjoy a "sicilian granita" made of lemon, almonds or ice coffe, into a dehors, under a big umbrella...so...do we put on or off our panama hat??

Thanks.
Riccardo.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Outdoors, on

If you're outdoors (like on a patio or at a cafe at a table with an umbrella), by all means keep the panama on. If you happen to be indoors under an umbrella (not likely, I know), then I'd think you'd want the hat off ;) But, for example, I go to an Irish bar not far from me (a real Public House), and all around the outside of the bar are covered outdoor booths. Everyone keeps their straw hats on while on the patio so far this year. I've found I'm most comfortable keeping my hat on at a bar, unless there's a good place to set it or it's a formal occasion. If I went to garden party at a friend's (which might just have a table with an umbrella), I'd keep my hat on outdoors, taking it off for any extended period inside.

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
Old club seems to be outdoors...on & indoors...off. However, at least in NYc area, so few establishments have a place to put a hat that many opt to keep them on. Hat racks or stands should be available to at least give a choice in my opinion.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
anon` said:
Where (and what) exactly would that be, if I may ask?
It's called the Alberta Public House on NE Alberta and NE 11th Ave (four blocks from me). It's a cool place, took me a while to warm up to it, but it's all right in my book. Guy who runs it is an Irish fellow. The building, which stands alone on the corner, is divided in half, with a bar and booths on one side (with the kitchen) and an open room with a stage on the other side. The booths, which come with heaters so folks can use them (ie, smoke cigarettes) in winter, line that side, the west side, of the place. They regularly have all manner of shows, music, bands, jams (I know there's an Irish jam and a bluegrass jam), spoken-word night, etc. in the big room. The spoken-word night is the best I've found in more than 10 years; I go every week.

Down to earth, full bar, happy hour specials, lots of beer on tap, not pricey (micros are 2.50 at happy hour), bar food (like fish and chips), etc. I'm glad to call it my neighborhood bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy