Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swank Advice-Silence is Golden by Koop Kooper

koopkooper

Practically Family
It seems to me that the one thing we are not good at in the twenty first century is silence….most people will happily volunteer the most minute details of their life to anyone who is happy to be bored by it.

I caught up with a friend recently who over coffee shared way too much about her boyfriends …ummm….athletic prowess…..using this fact that people these days through social media and in general conversation are way to open I suggest that with some well directed changing of topic, awkward silences and well crafted avoidance of anything personal you can create something that few people have anymore….a private life…just think of the allure and mystery of Don Draper, he is that cool because he doesn’t rabitt on about how good he is every two seconds and what his kid is doing or how Betty annoys him about working late at the office…see the allure of the private man…test drive it today and people will find you…well fascinating.
Koop Kooper
www.cocktailnation.net

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
see the allure of the private man…test drive it today and people will find you…well fascinating
Sadly, it usually doesn't work that way in real life. If you don't blather on incessantly about your work, finances, family, etc....to every person you meet, people today will assume that you have none of these things or that there are serious problems in these areas. Then the gossips will convene to construct, from what little they know, a fantasy character which they will then hold out to be fact. It's bizarre but it's happened to me and I've been in the company of people who were attempting to do it to others. I always call them out on it.

People are just way too nosy these days and when you add the technology.....

My ex caught a sleepover guest of our kids photographing the interior of her house with his cell/cam. He had taken over 100 pix, including some of her bedroom, bathroom and closet. Turns out the kid's parents put him up to it. They were relatively new to the area and had heard a lot about the home but had yet to be invited over.:eusa_doh:

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
I would have been tempted, (after erasing the pics), to make a sign for the kid to take a shot of. "Peeping Tom's are never invited over". And then I'd use Facebook to rat the parents out.

The friend and her athletically gifted boyfriend? Maybe the 21st century isn't completely lacking- isn't she why "TMI" was coined?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
People are just way too nosy these days and when you add the technology.....

My ex caught a sleepover guest of our kids photographing the interior of her house with his cell/cam. He had taken over 100 pix, including some of her bedroom, bathroom and closet. Turns out the kid's parents put him up to it. They were relatively new to the area and had heard a lot about the home but had yet to be invited over.:eusa_doh:
Hopefully she confiscated the tool of espionage and bashed it to smithereens with a sledge hammer?
I am a quiet person by nature, I don't believe in blabbering on and on about myself. I have known others that do, and have yet to see any real benefits to all that blathering. Save maybe their "hooking up" with others of their kind. But then, they probably bore each other to death in no time, due to the inherent shallowness of such a relationship..:eusa_doh:
So this leads me to believe that a lot of people maybe feel increasingly isolated, and maybe a tad inadequate when comparing themselves to the "ideal" they see in the media. We are really bombarded with it now more so than ever before. So maybe it's a sort of mass hysteria/ Walter Mitty syndrome?
"My life is REALLY interesting!,.....REALLY!,..Let me tell ya all about it,...blah, blah, blah,...."
:rolleyes:

Puzzicato

One Too Many

Wow. Just wow. Were they chased out of their previous area for being nosy?

Tatum

Practically Family
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool --
than to speak and remove all doubt.

My thoughts exactly. ;)

As for the kid taking photos, that is pretty brazen. Whatever happened to stopping by to borrow a cup of sugar? That's usually a good way to get an invite in. Then again, in the neighborhood I live in, most are happy to show off their home (usually with lengthy restoration stories involved, mine no exception).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy