Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tanker vs. N1 Deck Jacket

Xopher

A-List Customer
If you could only pick one as your number one go to cold weather jacket, which would it be and why? Winter Combat/Tanker jacket or a Navy N1 Deck Jacket. Can't make up my mind and need some opinions.

They don't really seem too similar to me in funtion. Tankers are lighter (the ones I've seen) and are a nice cool weather piece.
N-1 are lined and heavier (jungle cloth) and are great in truly cold weather. I've got a Pike Bros N-1 and wore it in the snow in PA - was so warm I had to unzip it.
I think you can have both and not really overlap in looks and function. My 2¢

thor

Call Me a Cab
I agree. Cold weather: N-1, moderate/cool weather: Tanker. If I could only choose one, I'd go with the N-1. I have a Buzz Rickson N-1 which is very comfy and warm in just about any cold climate.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They don't really seem too similar to me in funtion. Tankers are lighter (the ones I've seen) and are a nice cool weather piece.
N-1 are lined and heavier (jungle cloth) and are great in truly cold weather. I've got a Pike Bros N-1 and wore it in the snow in PA - was so warm I had to unzip it.

Tried a Pike Bros N-1 on in Aero showroom, realised immediately that it was damn warm. I tried on a 38, which would be fine for layering, but I'd probably go with a 36.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For comparison
Alpaca/wool lining:-
N-1 and B-10, B-15

Wool blanket lining:-
Tanker and Deck zip/Deck hook.
There is however a Real McCoy's Deck Zip that comes in alpaca lining.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I got a blue deck jacket. Looks great now it's washed out a little and faded. Very warm, outer shell is thick and tightly woven, making it resistant to wind and showers, turn up collar is nice and cosy.

tonypaj

Practically Family

Enabler :)

Kevin Collver

New in Town
N1s are truely a fine piece of winter working mans kit, or even just recreation on the slopes, the tanker is however a great cool-mild cold weather piece, just layer with a light sweater and a mid-weight long sleeve shirt and youre good....At the Front is now selling an experimental tanker, with mid-weight high quality polar fleece lining! Ive ordered mine as my go-to carry-along jacket for this fall and winter (partnering it with my Arctic M-41) anyone have thoughts/opinions on this fleece lined tank jacket? seems like itd be a more functional piece to wear in more warmer climates as well, seeing as you dont have the itchy wool that forces you to wear long sleeve shirts, as well as breathing better than wool and can be mashine washed and dried, also a bit warmer than wool....I see it as bringing 40's era design and coupling it with modern applications

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USUTKF

Last edited:

Roma

A-List Customer
Last winter I got a Mister freedom N1 deck jacket made by Sugar cane in Japan. IMHO a N1 is a versatile jacket, could be good for pretty warm and extremely cold winter conditions. Alpaca lined, bulletproof outer cotton shell, to me it's great stuff. I tried Buzz Ricksons and McCoys versions but they were short sleeved so I took the Mister freedom one.

Roma

A-List Customer
50a03effd6296bab14bf78d23def505a.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
I just ordered an At The Front fleece tanker that will arrive on Weds. I am looking forward to this lightweight fun option. I own a wool lined ATF as well which I really like. Yes, sure, I really NEED an almost identical tanker??????? The price on the fleece version is hard to pass up and it looks super on the outside.

Yes, yes, ATF still has the zipper that gores all the way to the top of the collar...NOT like originals and the knits are not tube knits, there is a seam on the wrists but I don't care as the overall look is more than close enough. They also now have a first pattern tanker with the external pockets.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have the ATF M41 field coat and have bee more than happy with it. I'm sure the tanker jacket from them will be just as good. WWII Impressions also carries the tanker jacket. Does anybody have any experience with their gear? Is it quality gear?
Of course, not historically accurate, but if you're not a stickler and like warmth, the fleece lined option is a great idea. Get that vintage look with the modern warmth and breathability of tech fabric. Hidden away under the shell. Plus it make it machine washable. Bonus!

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
N1s are truely a fine piece of winter working mans kit, or even just recreation on the slopes, the tanker is however a great cool-mild cold weather piece, just layer with a light sweater and a mid-weight long sleeve shirt and youre good....At the Front is now selling an experimental tanker, with mid-weight high quality polar fleece lining! Ive ordered mine as my go-to carry-along jacket for this fall and winter (partnering it with my Arctic M-41) anyone have thoughts/opinions on this fleece lined tank jacket? seems like itd be a more functional piece to wear in more warmer climates as well, seeing as you dont have the itchy wool that forces you to wear long sleeve shirts, as well as breathing better than wool and can be mashine washed and dried, also a bit warmer than wool....I see it as bringing 40's era design and coupling it with modern applications

http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USUTKF

Plus 10 on the itchy wool! That does look like a nice jacket. I have been looking at their B10. I like the longer fleece on the lining, and no AAF emblem on the shoulder!

CBI

One Too Many
I've purchased about 10 items from ATF and I have been very happy with everything except the B-10. They do a great job with it but the thick lining and generous cut creates quite a puffy jacket. Real B-10's were not that thick or generously cut. ATF admits sizing for the "modern man" Authenticity aside, not quite the right look.................. think Mall Cop! In re thread topic, love both Tankers and N-1's. If you are a forum member here, you will end up with both!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I've purchased about 10 items from ATF and I have been very happy with everything except the B-10. They do a great job with it but the thick lining and generous cut creates quite a puffy jacket. Real B-10's were not that thick or generously cut. ATF admits sizing for the "modern man" Authenticity aside, not quite the right look.................. think Mall Cop! In re thread topic, love both Tankers and N-1's. If you are a forum member here, you will end up with both!

Thanks, I will save my money, or buy one of those Tankers!

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
I found an original WW2 N-1 earlier this year and it will be worn this winter, cost a fraction of the price of a BR one and has a real 'salty' look! I have had Tankers from ATF, WW2 Imp, and SM Wholesale and the latter two offer the best repros IMO, I have a first pattern one (patch pockets) from SM and it is very close to an original, closer than BR as the shade is better and it is heavier, correct zip at collar, tube cuffs and wool lining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland