Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Team USA's Olympic Parade Suit

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
U.S.%20Team%20Waving_3.JPG

U.S.%20Team%20Waving_1.JPG

Is that a BI-SWING?
U.S.%20Team%20Kobe%20Bryant%20and%20LeBron%20James.JPG

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Ben said:
They are athletes. If there were ever a place where tracksuits were warranted, then this is it.
The opening ceremony has traditionally been a dress event. If you're so keen on the casual look, tune in to the closing ceremony. ;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Though the official design inspiration is the 1924 British Olympians movie Chariots of Fire, Alex Badia, fashion director at menswear trade magazine DNR, sees a slightly different, more relevant reference: the great, Gatsby age of American fashion. "You really associate Ralph Lauren with America at this point," he says. "They have drawn so much from American heritage that it represents the country."

Badia is happy to see Team USA follow, for instance, Spain's lead and trade in its locker-room gear for something more sophisticated, more suited to the biennial rite than track suits. "I know that it's a sporting event," but for the opening ceremony — "probably one of the best fashion runways ever" — the teammates should be more dressed up, he says. "Nylon has never been a friend for parades."

First-time Olympian Andrew Campbell, 24, a sailor from San Diego, is "thankful" Lauren and the USOC decided to hark back to "a really clean-cut, classic American look" devoid of any "silly cowboy hats or berets." Having spent his private high school days in ties and slacks, Campbell is accustomed to such polish. "With that USA team patch on your chest with those white rings underneath, it's a pretty powerful symbol," he says, referring to the blazer.

But not all the athletes are so comfortable with veritable country-club attire. Ergo, each competitor is receiving a pamphlet that details how to wear the clothes well — from how to button a blazer to how to tie a tie to how to "walk and talk in them," says Lauren.

Edward

Bartender
I'm really liking the cut of those Polo pants.... anyone know what resemblence the Ralph Lauren Polo GI Pant I keep seeing cheap on ebay bears to that very early-mid 20th look (to my inexpert eyes, at least).

I love the hats the US guys are wearing too.... I would suggest that, in the heat of Beijing, hats are actually very much a practical thing. Not a place for Felt, Beijing in the Summer, maybe (though I have done it), but certainly the sun being so strong there I should think it would be inadvisible to go hatless.

The Brits' look could have been nicely topped off with a panama from Marksies... :)

From the photos it seems that the US team had the option of a tie or a cravat.... both of those looks are sharp, and the mix together looks great. Interesting that Chariots... was an inspiration on the design - that was the first thing i thought of when I saw them, especially the hats.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
MrBern said:
No, that wasnt someone else.
;)
Still waiting for confirmation that the back is center pleated.

Ah. I get my MrBerns mixed up regularly. :p

It's unfortunate that more pictures don't show the back of the jackets. It's nice to see these unusual back treatments done today.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Nope- it isn't a knife pleat. It is just a biswing that goes into the shoulder seam (therefore no yoke either). But the back does have a half-belt and pleats.
I suspect that the design incorporated the biswing knowing that the athletes would spend 3/4 of the opening parade waving or holding up a camera and wanted to keep the athletes looking clean. Smart move, Mr. L.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
I'm really liking the cut of those Polo pants.... anyone know what resemblence the Ralph Lauren Polo GI Pant I keep seeing cheap on ebay bears to that very early-mid 20th look (to my inexpert eyes, at least).

The trend lately has been for narrower pants.
But those RL GIpants came out a few years ago.
They have the proper fullness & are well made.
Tho they arent buttonfly.

Edward

Bartender
MrBern said:
The trend lately has been for narrower pants.
But those RL GIpants came out a few years ago.
They have the proper fullness & are well made.
Tho they arent buttonfly.

Sound like they might be worth a punt. I prefer a button fly, but I'm not totally averse to zips.... and they were around back then (of course, I'm looking at these as civilian wear, not replicating a uniform, so). Thanks. :)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Sound like they might be worth a punt. I prefer a button fly, but I'm not totally averse to zips.... and they were around back then (of course, I'm looking at these as civilian wear, not replicating a uniform, so). Thanks. :)

Some of the RL higher end gear is buttonfly.
Depends on which line.
He's made some WWII style khakis for his RRL line which were...fabulous.
But they were twice the price of the GIpant.

Enjoy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy