Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Team USA's Olympic Parade Suit

Edward

Bartender
I thin k the US takes it, by default..... I do like their hats, wonder hat they're made of: linen? Cotton? Look great for Summer wear. Not at all convinced by the casual wear, though that has as much to do with my personal prejudice against shorts as anything else. Blazer is a bit 'cheap' looking, but otherise the best look.

The Dutch uniform is abysmyl - they look like the staff of a budget airline. The Brits look like your 'jack the lad' uncle who prides himself in not owning a suit and has to find something to wear to a wedding.....

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
The Dutch let down once again by that ridiculous orange they have to wear. It is so hard to make that work. Garish ain't the word …

bk
Really. They shoulda made the suit orange,...and the tie gray. lol
(But seriously, what color suit actually goes with orange???)

Edward

Bartender
To be fair, though..... this is aboutg the only occasion (well, that and the closing ceremony I presume) that will require this sort of official dress, no? So they could be forgiven for going cheap on this one....

Josephine

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Really. They shoulda made the suit orange,...and the tie gray. lol
(But seriously, what color suit actually goes with orange???)

Purple. :) The ecclesiastical purple and the pagan orange symbolizing the mystical symbiosis in marriage between the heathen and Christian traditions. ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
rmrdaddy said:
Sounds like sour grapes since the UK Chaps and ladies weren't dressed quite as sharp...lol ;) lol :p

Yahoo liked them...tho they wore neither hats nor ties.

Team Great Britain arguably had the best uniforms of the night: simple navy suits with white jackets and matching belts

2750455277_aafba6e4f1.jpg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Josephine said:
Purple. :) The ecclesiastical purple and the pagan orange symbolizing the mystical symbiosis in marriage between the heathen and Christian traditions. ;)

I don't care who is in it, or if it's considered a chick flick.
I like that movie!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Have participants in the Olympics over the years always had an official team uniform of some kind?
I can see the potential collectibility factor here.

http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=547827

this is dated April 2008:
The billion-dollar American apparel firm signed a contract with the U.S. Olympic Committee last week to replace Canadian apparel company Roots Ltd., which had outfitted the U.S. team for the past three Olympic Games and was originally scheduled to continue through 2008. The partnership dissolved in January when the USOC concluded that the Roots looks were too informal.

"Polo Ralph Lauren is a quintessential American brand that represents a timeless and classic look which we believe our athletes will be excited to wear."

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I liked the uniforms of the U.S., and I thought the French men's look great, too. The French women's uniforms suited some of them better than others.

GBR

One of the Regulars
In the humidity of Beijing hats and ties were simply a stupid idea especially given the amount of standing around for the athletes.

the UK contingent looked smart, modern without being extreme and above all practical.

MrBern said:
Yahoo liked them...tho they wore neither hats nor ties.

2750455277_aafba6e4f1.jpg

Ben

One of the Regulars
The U.S. team looked like the staff from a Caribbean resort at the opening ceremonies.

They are athletes. If there were ever a place where tracksuits were warranted, then this is it.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
belt-bakk baby

Anyone notice the US jacket is actually a beltback?!?

Couldnt find any good product shots on the RL site as this jacket is already SOLD OUT, but you can see a bit of the belt in this concept sketch.

2761155192_1d39a70644.jpg

Im told the back is pleated. Hopefully a friend over at an RL shop will get us a few shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24