Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teamster back length

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hello all,

I'm at the point of ordering an Aero Teamster in FQHH and I'm wondering what the standard back length would be for a fella my height (6'3)? I understand there is no stock length and Aero cut the hide by your height so I'm wondering what you taller guys got for you order.

I'm also thinking about a detachable fur collar for the winter months. How do you think it would look and how does it attach to the jacket?

Finally, any other tips or thoughts before I unload a wedge on one of these cracking jackets?

Many thanks

Garry

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I would check with Carrie or Aero re back length. There are a couple of variations of length guys here have used. Some have gone a fairly short, a bit below the belt line, and some have gone for a more standard length. I'm lining up a teamster right now also.
A fur collar would be different, I hadn't thought of that! I'm not sure the size collar lends itself to that, but I could be wrong, more likely I haven't seen one, so I can't imagine what it might look like. It could be worth a shot.
I love the teamster, and will be getting on one shortly. Great choice, very versatile jacket in my opinion.
Let us know what your order looks like! Good luck.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am 6'2" and ordered my size 42 Teamster with a 28.5" back which is, I think, 1.5" less than standard. Mine has moleskin body shell lining and cotton drill sleeve lining. Personally I wouldn't go with a fur collar but use a scarf if it's that cold.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I am 6'2" and ordered my size 42 Teamster with a 28.5" back which is, I think, 1.5" less than standard. Mine has moleskin body shell lining and cotton drill sleeve lining. Personally I wouldn't go with a fur collar but use a scarf if it's that cold.

That's a mighty fine jacket Fanch!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, those pics were taken when new and am too lazy to do F/U pics. The brown FQHH has broken in nicely and is one of my favorite all time jackets. If I could keep only one leather jacket, it would be my Teamster.

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Thanks for the response fellas.

Fanch, your jacket was the inspiration for me getting one, its an absolute belter! I had like the look of the Teamster for ages but was unsure of which hide to choose then I saw yours. Have you had any problems with the oils coming off onto clothing? Is the break in period as long as some would suggest.

Bunyip, Im still a wee bit unsure about the collar. I'm concerned that I might be being a wee bit different for the sake of it. I have a Gibson and Barnes G1 which obviously has the collar and really like the look and feel of it in winter but the G1 is designed with a fur collar and getting one on the Teamster might look a little "stuck on" rather than being part of the jacket. I see the Teamster has a pretty large collar so it might look a bit "Liberace" for country Victoria?

I see you are in the Great Southern land, which part are you in? Although I'm Scottish I've been in Victoria for 16 years firstly in Melbourne then just outside Ballarat for the last 5 years. Its a great spot and perfect winter climate for a Teamster.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My brown FQHH "bled" just a bit initially but has not been a problem. The minimal discoloration easily came out of my shirt collars and have not noticed any residue for the past year or so. I think I used an old worn out T shirt with hot water from the tap to rub the collar to speed up the process but don't know if that had an impact at all. In any case, a non-problem for me. I think any of the FQHH's can bleed for awhile.

My FQHH was very flexible from the time I got the jacket and is a great skin for this jacket. My personal preferences for FQHH are brown, cordovan, and black, not necessarily in that order but LOVE my brown smooth FQHH. I prefer the smooth over the tumbled, but that's just my personal preference based on limited experience. I did have a black vintage FQHH Highwayman that was as stiff and inflexible as a horse saddle; you might state a preference for thinner, flexible FQHH and remain flexible on the color, depending what Aero has on hand when your jacket comes up in the queue.

Personally I would NOT ask for a mouton collar. When it is cold, I simply pull the collar up and button the top button. Like you I do like the mouton collar on my G-1 but would pass on a fur collar on a Teamster. Just my two cents.

The back length is very much a personal preference. With a 28.5" back, I can more easily access my back pocket where I keep my wallet. Also easier to sit in a car without the collar coming over my head. :D I have wondered how a back length of 30.5" would have worked out though. One of the other members wdw hopefully will see this thread and comment as he has owned a Teamster and now has a couple of Stockmans. He can also comment on hides and colors.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
My 40 Teamster came with what I thought was a standard back length of 28.5", but Fanch's cut down 42 was the same, so there seems to be some variety in lengths. I think mine looked similar to Fanch's from behind.

As Fanch is only an inch shorter than you, I'd suggest maybe 28.5-29.5 as being your range. Any longer and you're in Stockman/Cheyenne/VDR territory, which is a different look, as I think the Teamster is meant to sit firmly in the mid-length range.

I wouldn't get a mouton collar as that might look a bit odd on that style, but I think there are newer styles with those collars that will look like they belong there.

As for hides, mine was vintage black as I wanted a more worn look straight out of the box, but I soon decided I'd have prefered regular, as that gets knackered looking quick enough.

Sloan says a lot of good things about the battered cordovan, so that might be worth a look. I see he's leading the Scotsman's reporting on that fatal accident in Glasgow tonight, so he's probably too busy to come on here just now.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I think the tumbled cordovan is the best of the tumbled leathers - the grain's phenomenal. This my Board Racer in it.

I should update the pics, as it's developed some fantastic creasing - Scottish weather is the perfect for breaking in a jacket. And yes, a grim old day up here.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, I didn't see your earlier post - must have snuck it in between the time I saw Eric's post and responded. That tumbled cordovan also has to be a serious consideration. Did you note any bleeding around the collar of your shirts? On a more serious note, that was a tragic accident in Glascow today that you reported where a garbage truck plowed into a group of people, killing several.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I had a bit of bleeding around the kidney panel, which is double-faced and unlined, and the heat from my back drew some of the colour on to a t-shirt. It washed out easily, though, and I found some leather protection/dressing and coated it a few times, which seems to have done the trick in stopping the bleeding, though I'll wait for a bit of spring sun before declaring it fixed for good.
As regards George Square, it is terrible: six dead, even more injured, and at this stage apparently a terrible freak accident.

Last edited:

Dav

One Too Many
Here's mine when new http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?66875-Plain-Teamster/page5 this one, post 50 onwards, was 30" when I got it and I'm around the 6'/6'1" mark. I thought 30" was the standard length for a 42 but not certain. The pictures in the thread Fanch posted are how it looks today.
I should add, that the one at the start of that thread was a little shorter, but had to be returned.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Ok, the deal is done! I've gone for a size 44 which is apparently right for my measurements. Brown Chromexel FQHH. Have opted for a 29 inch back to keep it mid length (thanks DWD), inside pocket and the Mackenzie weathered medium weight tartan lining with football buttons.

So now the wait. Thanks for all your thoughts and links guys. Will post some snaps when it gets here.

Garry

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Ok, the deal is done! I've gone for a size 44 which is apparently right for my measurements. Brown Chromexel FQHH. Have opted for a 29 inch back to keep it mid length (thanks DWD), inside pocket and the Mackenzie weathered medium weight tartan lining with football buttons.

So now the wait. Thanks for all your thoughts and links guys. Will post some snaps when it gets here.

Garry
Sounds great Garry!
What chest measurement did you give them? My experience with Aero is that the sizing is all over the shop. I'm going to put my order in once the guys are back and I can confirm a few bits and pieces.
I'm in .canberra mate btw. Many years in
Sydney, and quite a few up in QLD....great jacket weather in here in winter, great shorts and thongs weather in summer....:)

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Don't say their measurements are all over the place Bunyip, I'm losing enough sleep over this already! I just used their measuring guide on the website. Only thing that puzzled me is they don't ask for a sleeve length but I suppose they will get that from my height (6'3) and my chest measurements?

Canberra is a good spot mate and has the best pub in Australia by my reckoning. The Wig and Pen is the only real ale pub I have found over here in 16 years and a Mecca every time I'm in Canberra.

Garry

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Don't say their measurements are all over the place Bunyip, I'm losing enough sleep over this already! I just used their measuring guide on the website. Only thing that puzzled me is they don't ask for a sleeve length but I suppose they will get that from my height (6'3) and my chest measurements?

Canberra is a good spot mate and has the best pub in Australia by my reckoning. The Wig and Pen is the only real ale pub I have found over here in 16 years and a Mecca every time I'm in Canberra.

Garry
You will be sad to know it closed a couple of months ago Garry....the owners of the building have put another hair dressing salon or so etching in. Good news, the brewer guy has opened his own place in Braddon, just up the road, and there is another 2 similar joints open there aswell. A whole new hipster area that is going bonkers.
Don't stress re the measurements, I meant their sizing. I foolishly ordered a 48 my normal shirt size and it was 2 sizes too big...it's hard to feel comfortable ordering a 44 online when so many many schooners,pints and pies have passed since I bought a 44" shirt. Also, with all the slim fit crap in department stores it really throws you out. I'm sure yours will be great, measurements is all they need....I'm looking forward to Mine too.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

Garry

Garry, I also ordered my Teamster with football buttons as I think it takes less effort to button up than with the flat buttons, especially when new. For your inside pocket, consider having no closure (snap, zip, or button) since less chance of showing through.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace