Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell me about Stephen L. Stetson...

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... 'cuz I just bought this
stetson11.jpg

... looked kinda open roadish to me...(or kinda Curious George-ish :p )
and I was hoping someone might enlighten me as to the particulars of this company, its products, dates of operation, trivia... whatever you have...
For what is worth, I know John B.'s father was a hatter named Stephen... tho' not this Stephen...
stetson1111.jpg

& I have read older posts here in the archives sorta denigrating the products, so I thought to see what experiences others have had...
stetson11111.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
He is a hatter, not related to STETSON

Stephen L. Stetson was an independant hatter who made hats, and he just happened to share the last name, no relation, to the BIG HAT MAKER STETSON.

They sued and won for copyright infringement, which is why you see 'in no way related to the Stetson Hat Company of Philidelphia" on the label.

It is covered in the book "Stetson Hats, 1865 - 1970".

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks An'

Andykev said:
Stephen L. Stetson was an independant hatter who made hats, and he just happened to share the last name, no relation, to the BIG HAT MAKER STETSON.They sued and won for copyright infringement, which is why you see 'in no way related to the Stetson Hat Company of Philidelphia" on the label.It is covered in the book "Stetson Hats, 1865 - 1970".
Absolutely ALL I have been able to find are legal briefs for copyright infringement that refer back to the decision "John B. Stetson v. Stephen L. Stetson"... that and the fact that Michael Jackson, when he was recording an album in the '90s, rented the upper east side Manhattan brownstone Stephen L. built at the turn of the (20th) century. I will keep an eye peeled for a copy of the book you referenced... thanks again!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran