Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That tune in your head

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Being the music addict that I am, I usually got song lyrics going through my head...unfortunately right now, it's the wiggles :mad: (downfall of having t.v)
what are some ways to get a song out of your head, and what was the worst song that got stuck in your brain?
Mine was Abba "beauty (or was it dancing?)queen' ,that song was in my head for almost a whole week :eek:

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Stuck Songs...

At the Prison where I work, the "Andy Griffith" theme gets whistled a lot by the staff...just about time one gets it out of their system here comes another staff whistling it.
Sometimes it's days before it gets dropped.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm a terrible one for getting songs stuck, and when I do, the only way to get away from it is turn the radio on to a classical music station -- there's usually no lyrics there to get stuck, and the instrumental music distracts me enough to get the words out of my head. Unless there's an opera on, in which case I'm sunk.

The worst song I ever fixated on was "My Ding a Ling" by Chuck Berry. It played on the radio constantly when I was 9 years old, and I fear it made a permanent impression...

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two worst songs to ever get stuck in your head:

It's a tie:

Welcome to Our World of Toys (The song that plays over and over at FAO Schwartz)

and

It's a Small World After All (damn you, Disneyworld!)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The last nasty song-thing to stick in my head so it wouldn't get out was the very not catchy Oscartm winning song from the film Hustle and Flow:

It's hard out there for a pimp
Trying to get the money for the rent
For the Cadillac the gas money spent
And a whole lot of b!#*%$ jumping ship

Yuk.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I have one stuck in my head every day

And that's OK. It keeps The Voices entertained. ;)

Current: Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes. Been there since Monday. Just the chorus.

Worst: The Sukiyaki Song by Kyu Sakamoto was there for a few months a couple of years ago. I often get foreign language songs stuck. That one by The Singing Nuns. Ninety Nine Red Balloons in German, etc.

I've never found the key to get them out. The third week of Sukiyaki and I was ready to try a really long Q-tip.

ortega76

Practically Family
One of the worst pranks I ever did was two summers ago. I typed out the lyrics to the old Fruity Pebbles Christmas song ("Season's greetings in our souls/Yummy Fruity Pebbles in our bowls. . .) and e-mailed them to my friends over lunch hour. I then called their office phones and sang it to their voicemail (knowing they'd be out to lunch). I figured most people check their e-mail and voicemail right away after lunch, so I wanted to infect their minds with this utterly inane ditty.

It worked. My buddies told me they hummed it so much that afternoon, that other people would recognize the song, ask what it was and then start humming it.

Is that evil?

db5zx

Familiar Face
I don't really have it "stuck" in my brain, but whenever I start whistling, which is quite a lot, I ALWAYS and most involuntarily start whistling "Jingle Bells". Drives my co-workers nuts but I can't do anything about it ;-)

Jens

Rosie

One Too Many
I can't remember the last song thta stuck but usually to get rid of it, I'll play that song and sing along and it goes away. Sometimes just hearing the song will do the trick.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I don't really have it "stuck" in my brain, but whenever I start whistling, which is quite a lot, I ALWAYS and most involuntarily start whistling "Jingle Bells". Drives my co-workers nuts but I can't do anything about it ;-)

I frequently find myself singing "Singing in the Rain," though it is never floating around in my head...

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Off-topic

db5zx said:

Jens

:eek:fftopic: Jens, is your screen name a reference to Aston Martin automobiles?

Thanks,

- Mark

Caledonia

Practically Family
From 'O Brother Where Art Thou', the one that goes "When I go down to the river to pray, etc etc". It's so repetitive it just gets stuck in there. And with you Jens on Jingle Bells at Chrismas time. It just won't budge! But I heard a trick for getting rid of those irritating tunes - try singing the British national anthem through a couple of times. It's soooo boring it just wipes everything else away. Only one problem........:rolleyes:

Haversack

One Too Many
For me, the two worst maggots, (which is what 'tunes one cannot get out of one's head' are called, are "Its a Small World", and the theme song to the Banana Splits. For those of us not from the the US, this was a late 1960s childrens show spawned by the infamous Sid & Marty Kroft.

More often than not, however, I will get another, more random tune, say "Die Gedanken Sind Frei" or "Oh By Jingo", stuck in my head and I will use one or the other of the worst ones as a "counter-maggot" to cancel it out. Usually, it will be "Small World" as I was once stuck on that ride at Disneyland for 45 minutes in the last room where everything is white. I'm pretty much immune to it now. Rather like surviving Yellow Fever or Smallpox.

Haversack

Haversack

One Too Many
In reference to my reference to the Banana Splits, Marc Chevalier wrote:
"You're showing your age, Haversack"

Oh. I can do better than that. While visiting Disneyland, I once got to ask Mr. Disney what he fed the sea serpent that he kept in the submarine ride. "Peanut Brittle" was what he told me. Hence, in our family, peanut brittle has always been known as "sea serpent food".

Haversack.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Caledonia said:
...four bananas make a bunch and so do many more!" :D It's a cult classic.

Ever notice that the chorus part of Bob Marley's song Buffalo Soldier ("Woy yoy yoy yoy, yoy yoy-yoy yoy! Woy yoy yoy, woy yoy-yoy yoy, Woy yoy yoy yoy, yoy yoy-yoy yoy!") was essentially copied from The Banana Splits' theme song ("Tra la la, la la la la, Tra la la, la la la la!")? Marley wrote his song while on a visit to the United States. At the time, "The Banana Splits" was still being broadcast. Coincidence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner