Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Story

I'll Lock Up
Tangential to the thread, if true this would have the *real* hunters rolling over in their graves.

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/news/article3333595.ece

From The Sunday Times
February 10, 2008

African lion encounters: a bloody con
Chris Haslam reveals the gruesome truth behind big-cat conservation projects which British holiday firms champion
Chris Haslam

It’s the latest attraction for tourists visiting southern Africa, but conservationists are warning that walking with lions is – quite literally – a bloody con.

Dozens of private game parks across South Africa and Zimbabwe offer, or have offered, tourists the opportunity to walk with, handle and be photographed with lion cubs.

Excursions to some, such as the Aquila Private Game Reserve, outside Cape Town, and the Seaview Game and Lion Park, in Port Elizabeth, are offered by tour operators such as Kuoni, Virgin Holidays and the Holland America cruise line.

Antelope Park, in Zimbabwe, charges about £20 for a 90-minute lion encounter it describes as “not just a very privileged photo opportunity, [but] the chance for you to become a conservationist”. The park’s African Lion Environmental Research Trust (Alert) programme is enthusiastically supported by Sir Ranulph Fiennes, who, on his www.7summits.com website, praises its efforts “to help steadily increase the number of lions into areas carefully protected from poachers”.

The Sunday Times, however, has learnt that, far from being released into the wild, as many as 59 lion cubs raised at Antelope Park have been sold to big-game-hunting operations to be shot for sport.

Duck

Practically Family
MrBern said:
But why cut down russet corcorans when you could jsut order service shoes from a reproduction house like AtTheFront?
us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg
I love the look of these service shoes, however all of the repos are listed in only the WIDE sizes and I wear a B width dress shoe

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Now why, if the Australians can incorporate a classic piece of headgear into their modern uniforms, can't the US Army?

That's just cool, that's what that is.

I think it is just too much of juxtaposition, it looks wierd. And yeah, stowing that thing when wearing a helmet is going to be a problem. Some uniform traditions should probably stay in the past where they belong, rather than showing up today in some bastardized form. For instance:

stetsonparade.gif

Mike K.

One Too Many
Just when I thought it safe to back into the jungle...

Orvis introduces a great-looking safari jacket in obnoxious easter egg colors. *yucky*

26YRVB.jpg
48H1F8SB.jpg

I especially love the pink one...great camo if you ever happen to find yourself amidst a flock of flamingoes! lol

Mike K.

One Too Many
Okay I'm ready for safari

Based on the latest greatest fashion trends of the season that everyone must have, I've decided to throw away all my khakis, leathers, and sharp-looking hats...even my trusty rifle. How could I possibly wear such outdated apparel? This, my friends is what every true adventurer should be toting this season. I present to you my new collection of adventure gear.
N O T ! ! !

26YRVB.jpg
258KVBmaize.jpg

bluered.jpg

ks402-1-z.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Based on the latest greatest fashion trends of the season that everyone must have, I've decided to throw away all my khakis, leathers, and sharp-looking hats...even my trusty rifle. How could I possibly wear such outdated apparel? This, my friends is what every true adventurer should be toting this season. I present to you my new collection of adventure gear.
N O T ! ! !
lol lol lol

Mike, I can't believe you would even think of pairing those yellow pants with the jacket. Clearly a pair of Orvis Madras patch pants are what called for here!

90HPL6VT.jpg

Or perhaps the plaid Bermuda shorts

39RKVB.jpg

Seriously, though, what are they thinking?!

Boodles

A-List Customer
Quote: Just when I thought it safe to back into the jungle...

When you see dry goods like these "Safari" jackets, offered in pistachio or bubble gum, one has to wonder what in the world Orvis is thinking. To save time and shop wear these tacky things should just go directly into the Tent Sale section of the online catalog. Can you imagine the heckling going in the Orvis warehouse among the old timers; Orvis the quasi heir apparent to the Willis & Geiger market? Somehow I cannot imagine that WillieGee ever listed such an abominable item. Advice from the peanut gallery Mr Orvis--albeit unsoliticed--before buying stuff like this your buyers should perform a simple litmus test: would MikeK, Boodles or anyone else in the safarized Riverina club be caught dead wearing this jacket to a dog fight? Nyet.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Clearly a pair of Orvis Madras patch pants are what called for here!
Jack, you don't think they'd clash with the cool hat do you?

Who wants to bet that this crap quickly ends up heavily discounted on the Orvis sales clearance website (and still won't sell)?

For the first person to post photo-documented proof of somebody actually wearing one of those pink jackets out in public, I'll buy them a drink on the next Fedora Lounge QM Event.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Naw. That animal print hatband will go with anything!

We should start a pool to bet on how long it will be before that stuff shows up in the Tent Sale. $1 per day to place your bet, but bet early 'cause we'd probably only have to go out a couple weeks.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike K. said:
That looks like a sweet jacket Tim.
You'll have to post photos once it arrives.
Thanks, Mike. I hope so. I'll do a full review.

If you've noticed, Barbour is slowly heading upscale into the luxury market, but still retaining, thank heavens, the rustic country clothes we all know and love.

This jacket is based on vintage patterns, but has a modern tailored fit, which is what I am excited about. As you know, so many safaris are too big and baggy. The tailored fit and bi-swing back should make it much more comfortable and usuable for my travel and light-adventure purposes.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Mojave Jack said:
Naw. That animal print hatband will go with anything!

We should start a pool to bet on how long it will be before that stuff shows up in the Tent Sale. $1 per day to place your bet, but bet early 'cause we'd probably only have to go out a couple weeks.
From the last couple of catalogs I give Orvis One month, maybe two, before they’ve made the full switch from selling outdoor gear and clothing to high end business casual.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
I LOVE this jacket: The Barbour Washed Twill Trooper Jacket. It is available on March 10th and I am going to grab it then. This is going to be my new travel and adventure jacket.
That looks like an outstanding jacket! I've been trying to find a decent waxed canvas jacket (the one from Outback Outlet didn't work out), but I am so hard on clothes that I balk at Barbour's prices. They sure are nice jackets, though. I left one of my Cabela's bush jackets somewhere between here and San Francisco last summer. They're so cheap as to be almost disposable, though, so I quickly replaced it.

Serial Hero, I have to agree with your take on Orvis, too. I suppose there may be some fishermen that will wear $200 pants in a creek in Montana, but they're obviously really meant for the boardroom or the yacht club. This Signature Piqu?© Field Shirt, however, is a nice option:

1950VBkhaki.jpg

This is something I would wear all summer, especially here at work. It breaks away from my usual canvas shirts and puts a little variation in my wardrobe, but still has the pockets that I like. I use my shirt pockets a lot, but my wife complains that I keep buying the same shirt over and over. She's right, of course! lol

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
That looks like an outstanding jacket! I've been trying to find a decent waxed canvas jacket (the one from Outback Outlet didn't work out), but I am so hard on clothes that I balk at Barbour's prices. They sure are nice jackets, though. I left one of my Cabela's bush jackets somewhere between here and San Francisco last summer. They're so cheap as to be almost disposable, though, so I quickly replaced it.

Serial Hero, I have to agree with your take on Orvis, too. I suppose there may be some fishermen that will wear $200 pants in a creek in Montana, but they're obviously really meant for the boardroom or the yacht club. This Signature Piqu?© Field Shirt, however, is a nice option:

1950VBkhaki.jpg

This is something I would wear all summer, especially here at work. It breaks away from my usual canvas shirts and puts a little variation in my wardrobe, but still has the pockets that I like. I use my shirt pockets a lot, but my wife complains that I keep buying the same shirt over and over. She's right, of course! lol

Have you looked on Sierra Trading Post? I got one of the "Oxford Blue" ones from them. I compared it to a buddy's Barbour. It's not as good but for 1/5th the price, is good enough. The John Partridge one they have also looks nice. If I hadn't just sprung for a new U.S. Wings A2, I'd be tempted.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Jack, this one isn't waxed, it's a safari jacket with a bi-swing back and a tailored fit. It comes out on the 10th and I will be ordering it then.

I was in N Conway this weekend and I stopped in the Orvis outlet, which is nothing less than extraordinary. They truly have some high quality stuff.

So what did I buy?

I bought a quilted Barbour jacket for $75 and a realistic stuffed life-sized cheetah for $30! lol You'll be seeing him in future photoshoots! I named him "Baby." Not too creative there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner