Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

rumblefish

One Too Many
carebear said:
I was looking at the Terr. Ahead just now, checking out the jacket.

They have Bill's Khaki's M2 in stock for $97.50. Hemmed length up to 35 inches.

Aren't these the ones that are considered "authentic-y" and usually have to be ordered from Japan or something?

I seem to remember I couldn't find them easily, from up here anyway. Is the price okay?

Thanks gents.
They seem to be the same price just about every where I've seen them. David Morgan has them too.http://www.davidmorgan.com/
Check out Sierra Trading Post first, just in case what you're looking for is being "cleared".http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ I've gotten three pairs of Bill's from them at almost half price.
I did have to buy the WWII Originals from Bill's site, I've never seen these on sale.http://www.billskhakis.com/

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I want to plug a book about personal safety in the wilderness that I recommend to all those without a military/self-defense background.

Access to wild places is a good thing, but also means there are too many "bad guys" out in our wild places to operate under the idea that "wilderness" means the cares of civilization are left behind.

It's about awareness and mindset, not any particular choice of technique.

Unfortunately out of print but worth getting for your outdoorsy loved ones.

"Trail Safe" by Michael Bane

http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Safe-Averting-Threatening-Appalachian/dp/0899972640

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Carebear makes a good point. Recently, here in Ohio, a large marihuana farm, for lack of a better term, was found on some public lands available to the public for hiking, camping, and hunting. Scouts often use the area for wilderness survival training, as it's pretty rugged. Bad news is that the "farmers" were armed, and the field even had some booby traps. I would agree that roughing it these days takes a bit more caution, and proper education, than it used to. When I was a prosecutor, the narcotics task force found a meth lab on a remote part of a local Scout camp. That's dangerous on its own, much less with the operators.

Mike K.

One Too Many
*BUMP*

Well, lately it seems we have all been away on some adventure or another since this thread has been rather inactive. Just to revive things a bit I thought I'd give you all a heads up about the Boyt Shumba Safari Vest.
980884.jpg

The MidwayUSA website has these on sale in certain colors & sizes for about 1/2 their original retail price. I can vouch for their quality, comfort, and utility. Also check their jackets, shirts, pants, and shorts - many of them are on sale too!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Trek Canvas Tent

Has anyone seen or used these tents?
draft_lens1829872module7992679photo_tent.jpg

They can be purchased through www.roomsdelivered.com in two different sizes. While I have a great backpacking tent that is my ol' standby, I've always had a fondness for classic canvas wall tents. I was thinking about getting one of these but instead of purchasing the optional fly I think I'll go down to my local sail & canvas shop to get something made so it looks more like this classic safari tent...
Luxe-mobile-tent-400.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Looks a lot like the tent we used to camp in when I was a kid. Big ole family sized wall tents like that are readily available at flea markets and yard sales. Heck my parents might still have the one we used. I think it might have been made by Coleman.

Matt

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
When I was in boy scouts we used nearly identical tents; our tents were made by Eureka. From time to time these tents show up on ebay. I loved them, they were great - roomy, weatherproof, stable - everything you want and need. I'd love to find one at a yard sale or at a thrift store, but to date have not gotten that lucky. For family car camping trips I use modern tents by Eureka, as that is what I happen to own. I can't justify buying a new canvas tent, but I'd love to find one cheap.

CINDERWOLF

New in Town
pulls out the feather duster

I don't post often but i think its a shame when this thread starts growing cobwebs.

Instead of starting a new thread, i figured my question fits in here fairly well.

I bought a 18inch machete, which does not come with a sheath. Now i wish i could say i am looking for something period correct to go along with my expansive collection of vintage 1800s safari gear, however i would be lying... But i definitely am looking for something a step up from the crappy plastic US issue or vinyl ones i see everywhere.

I have found a few nice plain leather sheaths for sale online. I might pick up one of those, but Iam thinking that custom making something locally would be a good idea. So, if you have any experience wielding one of these long knives in the bush, or have any interesting pictures or stories to post, or... have any design features you think i should consider when putting a new sheath together, i would be very grateful.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
If you intend to use the machete well, a good sheath is a sound investment. A custom maker can probably make a sheath to mimic a vintage piece if provided with pictures. Sadly I don't have too many machete stories that don't involve watermelon, but I bet some members do.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Functionally Kydex can be your best bet, but as was said any local leather-worker should be able to work out a sheath for you.

Do think about how you want to carry it, belt or on your pack (where I carry mine for instance) before paying for work.

Convenience tools like machetes go on the pack. If I have to ditch it to be able to run (Marine Corps Recon mentality) it is just so much weight.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Sigg products are terribly addicting. I have quite a few items, some vintage and some modern, and want one of the old style flasks and also the 100 year bottle now that I have been made aware of them. Thanks.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
thunderw21 said:
...try these monsters:

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.co...tore_Code=MSS&Product_Code=086810&Category_Co

They're French surplus similar to WW2 M43 double buckle boots. You can either keep the cuff or cut it off above the seventh eyelet like I did.
You can waterproof them by either putting 'dubbing' on them or putting several coats of olive oil on the leather. I used the olive oil and it also loosens them up a bit, it is very stiff leather and will take a while to break in but it is well worth it. The leather is roughout. They will last you a lifetime.
Here is a picture of mine (I cut off the lugs on the sole and also the cuff at the top so I can reenact with them):
n110800350_30116229_7144.jpg

Cheers,
Billy

These French boots are still sold out and not restocked. Anyone ever seen any more?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
CINDERWOLF said:
I bought a 18inch machete, which does not come with a sheath. Now i wish i could say i am looking for something period correct to go along with my expansive collection of vintage 1800s safari gear
I have a Cold Steel machete that I use often on some rural property.
I can't say that the lack of a sheath has ever been something I missed.
If its just "for show" you could probably find something cool but realistically you don't need one.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Been reading

Trotsky said:
DSCF0628.jpg

Me and "the chaps" at an event in June. We portray WWII SAS, the heat decreed we do Desert.

Having a trawl through this thread and came across this photo. Great pic EXCEPT for the modern wristwatch (G10) and, more importantly, the wings on the chest. Guys, those wings, worn on the chest, were basically an unofficial, unit approved, form of gallentry award. You got them after doing an operational jump and if Colonel David apporved. Grand though all this 'history preservation' / 'living history' is, you don't look like you earned those wings. (Neither old enough nor fit enough). Don't wear things you didn't personally earn. It's disrespectful to those who did. For sure wear unit insignia but gallantry awards is too much.
Am I alone in this ?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Dave,

Needless to say, I agree with you completely. Every word. But we have been through this type of discussion on the forum before. Expect to make enemies...

Mike K.

One Too Many
There has been a lot of debate on this topic in many different threads. You are not alone in your opinion. Then again, you also have just as many who take the opposing stance. Consider that some of those guys in the photo perhaps did not earn those badges themselves, but instead wear a reproduction of the uniform worn by a father or grandfather (and do so out of tremendous respect, and would be all too obliged to tell the tales of gallantry of their late family members). My point is that this is a matter of very personal opinion, and as such there are many different views on the subject.

On a slightly different note, while everyone is entitled to voice their opinions on the lounge, this particular thread is not the place. The Adventurer's Gear Thread has been, and should continue to be, the place for discussing articles of outdoor clothing, gear, and accessories. Let's please keep it that way. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner