Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Gijoe

A-List Customer
DBurch said:
GiJoe,

Where did you get that excellent jacket?

I have missed the description somewhere in this post? If not some details would be most appreciated.

Super pictures here and your picsaweb. I visited Zurich last July on business travelling past the Rheinfalls into Singen but no time to enjoy some hiking. You pictures inspire me to take along my vintage kit next trip and make some adventure.

D.Burch
The Jacket was a 20 $ ebay find . A Western Jacket , Made from 100% medium- heavy weigth Wool The Labels are 1930-1950 Style.
Switzerland is very has very nice hiking trails.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BellyTank said:
I believe it's French, post-war('50s).
Part of a MC, (or motorised) oversuit(there are over-trousers, too).
They are nice- a fine, dense, almost canvas type cotton.

B
T

Thanks BT, I'll pass it along.

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
For King, Country and Comfort.

For anyone that's interested, a copy of an email I have received from Christopher Clarke Antiques aka www.campaignfurniture.com

ForKingandCountry.jpg

The exhibition will be on view in our shop at Stow on the Wold from

31st October to the 14th November 2009

We hope that you will be able to visit the exhibition but if not you will
still be able to view the exhibition items online at our website :

www.campaignfurniture.com

There is a fully illustrated accompanying catalogue for “For King, Country & Comfort” available at £ 15 sterling (incl. P&P).
Unquote

I have always found this website a good source for information and ideas.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I always enjoy a visit to Christopher Clarke's shop. He usually has some fascinating examples of campaign furniture. I can recommend it as part of a day out in the Cotswolds. Thanks for pointing out the exhibition.

Yorker

New in Town
Martin and Osa Johnson.

I haven't been here for a whil but recently ran across something worth postig in this thread- When I was younger I uesed to volunteer in the High School library and at times they would discard a good many older books I rescued a book called"Over African Jungles"1935 By Martin Elmer Johnson. A neat book and some of the pictures are worth posting here.

Here are some of the more interesting pictures from the book-Sorry about the poor quality but I don't have a scanner and the camera was fighting me this AM, if anyone wants a better pic of one of the images let me know and I'll try to do something better:

MartinElmerJohnson010.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson011.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson006.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson007.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson008.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson009.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson012.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson013.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson014.jpg

MartinElmerJohnson015.jpg

If you google his name and check out his entry on findagrave.com there is a really neat picture of him with Osa in typical safari kit with a 1895 Winchester. Martin died in a plane crash in 1937 so most of images he took are firmly within the golden age this forum loves so much.

here is a google books link to books about them:
They Married Adventure

Four Years in Paradise

Safari a Saga of the African Blue By Martin Johnson check out the neat pic on pg 208-9 Nice women's safari/adventure kit.

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
I almost totally forgot to mention how well those wool pants worked out. I wore them most of my elk hunting trip this year. They kept me plenty warm sitting in the snow and cold. I was even wearing them when I got my elk :D

Yorker

New in Town
NelsAnderson said:
Owning this is actually what sent me to the Fedora Lounge; one of my Land Rover contacts mentioned it as a place to get ideas for safari outfitting. It took me a while to find it here, but he obviously meant this very thread :)
Hey Nels- good to see you here! Did you find a referral on Expedition Portal or on Guns and Rovers? I think I have posted links to this thread on both of those in the past. You need to find a sun compass for your Rover if you haven't already!!

Matt

Also I have been working my way backwards through this thread and see someone posted a link to Osa Johnson's 9.3mm Mauser. I was looking into some of the rifles at Allan's Armory last night and noted that they have some 9.3 X57 Swedish made Sporting rifles for sale there at reasonable prices. Not quite as nice as Osa's but neat and a great value nonethless.

NelsAnderson

New in Town
Yorker said:
Hey Nels- good to see you here! Did you find a referral on Expedition Portal or on Guns and Rovers? I think I have posted links to this thread on both of those in the past. You need to find a sun compass for your Rover if you haven't already!!

Hi Matt...I'm pretty sure it was one of your Guns and Rovers posts that lead me here. Love this thread, it could be a whole forum by itself :)

Love the 1935 book and photos. Did you know there's a reconstructed version of the Osa's Ark airplane still flying?

Spacemonkey

New in Town
Found this thread months ago when looking for a nice safari jacket, and have been reading it ever since. And thanks to you guys, I have parted with lots of money.. Hmm... I've been after the perfect safari jacket, shirts, and shorts for ages. Got the Jacket from US Wings, which is brilliant, but the shirts, shorts and trousers they sent are far too small. The waist is perfect at 32" but way, waaaay too tight around the hip and groin area. I don't know who/what they were modelled on. Sadly they have a zero returns policy for overseas orders which is not very good for international business. Don't they know there's a recession on and anyone who wants to stay in business should be opening their doors wider? I will never order from them again. I love the jacket though and practically lived in it all summer. The only pictures I have though are of me in Geneva.

DSC00980.jpg

P1000534.jpg

Most of the trip was with my mates in the mountains for a few days so modern lightweight rubbish was the order of the day.

The other day I discovered TAG safari from this thread and am in the process of ordering some more gear in better cuts and with padded shoulders. Need bullet loops too, but maybe if I can source some of the material from them I can make my own.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in here and say hello first before looking elsewhere!

Oh, and BTW, does anyone have a link to Copper's adventures in Delhi on two wheels? I can't find it..

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Gutshot said:
Found a pair of these here today... pretty happy about it.

I have several pairs of those-I seem to remember I got them from Sportsman's Guide a few years ago. Dated 1940, but in like-new unused condition. I've been wearing them a lot lately,with the sudden drop in temperature around here-I wear 'em with a Pendleton wool shirt.

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
This thread's gotten too quiet...

So I got really jealous this weekend. Wandering around a flea market and spotted a guy wearing Filson's Mackinaw Wool Western vest which I've looked at more than once. This guy had things figured out though. With the exception of his leather jacket and boots, I'm pretty sure everything he was wearing was wool. Looked ready to tun off into the woods.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo