Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Are the snaps off centre, or is it an optical illusion?

Deffe-006.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Photos can be deceiving, I guess.

Or ... the snaps on that particular cap, in that particular photo, could indeed be off-center.

It always surprises me how many of the vintage 1920s-'30s caps I've seen and owned --even the better-quality ones-- have snaps that are off-center. (Not very off-kilter, but enough for the eagle-eyed among you to notice.) Nonetheless, it usually doesn't have a negative impact on the look of the cap when worn.

It actually helps if you like to wear your hat a bit cocked in the same direction. I've also noticed that and wondered if it could perhaps be intentional. But it is more likely because the snap is installed early in the assembly - before brim stiffening is inserted.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Or ... the snaps on that particular cap, in that particular photo, could indeed be off-center.

It always surprises me how many of the vintage 1920s-'30s caps I've seen and owned --even the better-quality ones-- have snaps that are off-center. (Not very off-kilter, but enough for the eagle-eyed among you to notice.) Nonetheless, it usually doesn't have a negative impact on the look of the cap when worn.

Yeah, it is no big deal really. You get things like this with handmade stuff, and it adds to their character and individuality. Still, when you are looking to buy a cap for $200, you are going to notice things like that. Very appealing caps though - nice to see moleskin and silk satin linings.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
It actually helps if you like to wear your hat a bit cocked in the same direction. I've also noticed that and wondered if it could perhaps be intentional. But it is more likely because the snap is installed early in the assembly - before brim stiffening is inserted.
Yeah, I thought maybe it was meant to be that way and meant you were supposed to wear the cap pulled to a particular side of your head. I've rarely had much success raking caps to one side - I must be too much of a square :p

My biggest disatisfaction with most of the flat caps and newsboys I've bought is lack of room in the crown, and I get the impression that with a lot of brands, they don't increase the crown proportionally with increase in size. I like to pull a cap well down, as I don't like the feel of a hat on the higher part of the back of my skull - it's kind of a permantly slipping off feel that bugs me. So far it's only the Zasu that I've been satisfied in this department - I can pull it down over the back part of my skull without pulling fabric back off the brim. Over-sized newsboys and flatcaps are hard to find, but are rather grand when you can get them. This is probably the root of my dislike of too small caps... I just generally don't like too small in any department - brim, crown or band. I like em big, Mumma!
Have you tried one of Hat Peoples' "Extra Full Cut" caps? According to their website, "There is a greater difference between a Full and an Extra Full than between any of the other cuts. The pattern is substantially longer and wider than the Full Cut." Based on the photo on their website there seems to be quite a bit of crown there, yet not so much that it completely obscures the brim. I've considered ordering one, but decided their Full Cut suits me just fine.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Have you tried one of Hat Peoples' "Extra Full Cut" caps? According to their website, "There is a greater difference between a Full and an Extra Full than between any of the other cuts. The pattern is substantially longer and wider than the Full Cut." Based on the photo on their website there seems to be quite a bit of crown there, yet not so much that it completely obscures the brim. I've considered ordering one, but decided their Full Cut suits me just fine.

I like a lot of things about the HP caps, but I don't think I would bother with the extra full cut in comparison to the Zasu caps I have now, because the Zasu has a much bigger brim to go with the bigger crown - the proportions look better to me. Caps are never good choice for sun protection, but coming from the area of the world where deaths from sun cancer are quite common, having a big shady brim is a positive - you even get some protection from the eaves. Of course, when I am in the sun, I slap on the sunscreen and wear a big akubra, but I prefer caps when driving and going to town, getting in and out of vehicles, and a big cap is better than a little cap or no hat at all in those situations where I find myself in the sun more than I expected to.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I decided on trying out an eight panel cap, but unsure of whether I would like it or not, and because I'm so isolated in Alaska, I decided to buy a Dorfman Pacific cap for a small pittance. The hat is a blend and it feels that way, but its warm, fairly weather proof and looks good. So now I am graduating up to a 100 % wool model that I plan on purchasing in Seattle.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
I decided on trying out an eight panel cap, but unsure of whether I would like it or not, and because I'm so isolated in Alaska, I decided to buy a Dorfman Pacific cap for a small pittance. The hat is a blend and it feels that way, but its warm, fairly weather proof and looks good. So now I am graduating up to a 100 % wool model that I plan on purchasing in Seattle.

Wool is the ultimate cap material I reckon, though I have invested interest in saying that. On the other hand, one of my favourite caps is a linen one - not as structured and crease free as wool, but very light and comfortable. One good thing about caps is that it is one wool garment that isn't that expensive; generally wool caps are the same price as polyester, cotton and linen caps, and has a lot of advantages.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
This is a FL premiere...

Today I received my 8-panel newsboy that was made for me by the Fedora Lounge's own Hepville. I ordered a length of Harris Tweed and Bela made it into a wonderful, voluminous, drapey newsboy. Much recommended! :D

hepville_beige_tweed_02_18_12.jpg

hepville_beige_tweed_02_18_12b.jpg

Hepville-Harris-Tweed-Beige.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari