Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
1930s British flat cap, made of Shetland wool tweed:

IMG_4802.jpg

KGrHqZhE7Q2NzlfCBPH2ieG60_32.jpg

KGrHqZhYE6eolbdUgBPH2i3Hiq60_32WW.jpg

Can't be good for you though, wearing a hat that is too tight...I would never wear a cap that was uncomfortable, no matter how good it looked.
Oh, I definitely agree. Or any article of clothing, for that matter. At the age of 50 I'm definitely built for comfort, not speed. But I do find it interesting that myths like this can exist for years, decades, or centuries, and people accept them at face value as though they were proven fact.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Oh, I definitely agree. Or any article of clothing, for that matter. At the age of 50 I'm definitely built for comfort, not speed. But I do find it interesting that myths like this can exist for years, decades, or centuries, and people accept them at face value as though they were proven fact.

My biggest disatisfaction with most of the flat caps and newsboys I've bought is lack of room in the crown, and I get the impression that with a lot of brands, they don't increase the crown proportionally with increase in size. I like to pull a cap well down, as I don't like the feel of a hat on the higher part of the back of my skull - it's kind of a permantly slipping off feel that bugs me. So far it's only the Zasu that I've been satisfied in this department - I can pull it down over the back part of my skull without pulling fabric back off the brim. Over-sized newsboys and flatcaps are hard to find, but are rather grand when you can get them. This is probably the root of my dislike of too small caps... I just generally don't like too small in any department - brim, crown or band. I like em big, Mumma!

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
I didn't mean to cause any offense with the Boardwalk Empire quote, I just wanted to get your guys' opinions. I regularly don a flat cap, actually the hat that started my collection, a brown Stetson I bought in Brighton, England. Every time it touches my head for a morning, these words ring in my head.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Didnt see your BE quote but if you are talking about the The wear a man's hat qoute that is ok. All men wore a cap and kept the fedora for special days. That's why you see workers wearing the cap. Also if going to a sporting event cap's where worn. Young men didn't wear fedoras because the were expensive and cost a week's wages. Yes 25 dollars was a lot of money back in the day. Cap's sold for 50 cents to 20 bucks so there was a wide range of pricing.

m0nk

One Too Many
So I had ordered a small 8 panel Jaxon in brown tweed and one in black heringbone. They fit wonderfully, snug enough that they stay in place but not too tight as to give me a headache or even hat-head in a bad way. It's a great start to wearing flat caps and I can definitely see myself wearing them almost as much as my fedoras.

cap1.JPG

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's a great start to wearing flat caps and I can definitely see myself wearing them almost as much as my fedoras.

You'll find that flat cap-wearing can quickly become an addiction. They're comfortable, can be stuffed in your coat pocket if necessary, and --to be brutally honest-- are perceived by the outside world as being less 'eccentric' than fedoras. In situations where you *might* not want to stand out so much, a cap can serve you better than a fedora.

m0nk

One Too Many
You'll find that flat cap-wearing can quickly become an addiction. They're comfortable, can be stuffed in your coat pocket if necessary, and --to be brutally honest-- are perceived by the outside world as being less 'eccentric' than fedoras. In situations where you *might* not want to stand out so much, a cap can serve you better than a fedora.
I'm with you there, 100%.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Hey cap lovers - I'm wondering if y'all can point me to some good online sellers of classic flatcaps.

Most of the modern variety are a little skinny and short on brim for my liking. I'm chasing a nice soft tweed in the vein of George Clooney's lid in Leatherheads (no, not the helmet!)

george-clooney-leatherheads-duluth.jpg

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Hey cap lovers - I'm wondering if y'all can point me to some good online sellers of classic flatcaps.

Most of the modern variety are a little skinny and short on brim for my liking. I'm chasing a nice soft tweed in the vein of George Clooney's lid in Leatherheads (no, not the helmet!)

Looks similar in dimension to the eight dart, french, retro sport caps that The Wiser Hatter linked to a few pages back. They look good. If you want a big brim, I am really pleased with the Zasu caps I have. I overlooked them for ages, but am really enjoying the two I bought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael