Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

seabass

Call Me a Cab
I think even in this video you can see what a well designed and good fitting cap this Wigens is for me. Note that it's not really a huge cap but it has the perfect depth at the back. I think if human beings had evolved some sort of insect like carapice to fit over there heads, it would be shaped somewhat like a Wigens - it really is a well designed cap. Maybe other caps are funkier or cooler looking, but the Wigens is good at what it does and it's the kind of cap you may only have one of but would definitely make use of in the colder months. It's my favourite cap because it is so easy to wear and seems suitable for any occasion or whatever you are wearing.... Yeah, well, I'd probably go for an eight panel or something more chic if I was wearing a suit, but it's a good workhorse of a winter cap for sure.

[video=youtube;uzj5xW_0zQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzj5xW_0zQg&feature=youtu.be[/video]
A Bravo !!! love that composition
Ok the wigen works well for you ,,,, but it all comes down as you said head shapes, i dont work well with 8 panel newsies, maybe due to my X L O shape
you look round & you like a pulled down cap so you have a tall head ? is that right so pulling a cap to the side for you would need a deep cap or do you like to wear em level & straight ? good look there !

O K since you got some music videos with cap's
check this out
Im the cop runnin down the alley with the goatee & stash & cop#2 is a younger cousin of mine sorta looks like Johnny J. yea really !
& my cousin is the sax man in the band, the singer has a cool moto-cap on, we got along great we both had Hudson superwasp cars
this is 16 years ago but was never released till 2006 enjoy !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqvLsLew-3Y

seabass
love the vid but sadly those hats just dont suit me ;-(
VM

seabass

Call Me a Cab
seabass
love the vid but sadly those hats just dont suit me ;-(
VM

HI Vampyre Master i bet you like this
232323232%7Ffp733%3C7%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3534%3C%3A639234%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63574%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3534%3C%3A638834%3Bnu0mrj

I was thinking about having a cap made from this Gentleman.... when i have the bucks i will some day
He made the Butcher's hat from Gangs of New York & the Cap for the hero, Gunner Fox Hollywood CA
He had the Sweetest Newsboy Cap's Ive ever seen & Some Killer Tall Crown Fedoras
Pic is 3 years old

Last edited:

Adnamira

A-List Customer
A Bravo !!! love that composition
Ok the wigen works well for you ,,,, but it all comes down as you said head shapes, i dont work well with 8 panel newsies, maybe due to my X L O shape
you look round & you like a pulled down cap so you have a tall head ? is that right so pulling a cap to the side for you would need a deep cap or do you like to wear em level & straight ? good look there !

Yes, I think you are right - I have a round, tall skull. I think that's why I have to pull caps down the way I do, because if I don't they feel like they are slipping off. The only caps I've had success with draping are the Zasu caps - whenever I've tried it with any other caps it has just looked wrong - too short or something.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Yes they dont tour much these days but Sydney Was a important stop back then They actually double billed with a band my brother is in there a couple of times at a huge festival
his band is Michael Franti & Spearhead & they are better known there & parts of Europe then here......He gets or used to be Sponsored By Kangol, my brother gave me a bunch of Kangols but i never wore them....

Ah yes, Michael Franti and Spearhead were here lots!

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I think you are right - I have a round, tall skull. I think that's why I have to pull caps down the way I do, because if I don't they feel like they are slipping off. The only caps I've had success with draping are the Zasu caps - whenever I've tried it with any other caps it has just looked wrong - too short or something.
Heck the ZaZU Perfect for (Tall round Skull) Super full cap there
Nice caps them ZaZu's

CarameL !!!!! Not B/S ha !

HI Vampyre Master i bet you like this
232323232%7Ffp733%3C7%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3534%3C%3A639234%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63574%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3534%3C%3A638834%3Bnu0mrj

I was thinking about having a cap made from this Gentleman.... when i have the bucks i will some day
He made the Butcher's hat from Gangs of New York & the Cap for the hero, Gunner Fox Hollywood CA
He had the Sweetest Newsboy Cap's Ive ever seen & Some Killer Tall Crown Fedoras
Pic is 3 years old
yeah love it, this is me at home
today-1.jpg

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Heck the ZaZU Perfect for (Tall round Skull) Super full cap there
Nice caps them ZaZu's

CarameL !!!!! Not B/S ha !

Yeah, they have more of a home-made look to them, but the shape of them seems to improve the more you pull them around. I find a lot of caps, once you've pulled them about they end up creased or sitting in a certain way and you've got a job to get them any other way, but for some reason the Zasus seem to improve the more you pull and push them about. I was sitting outside sunning my injured foot yesterday and it was getting quite warm, so I put on my denim Zasu... gives quite a lot of sun protection and is comfortable to wear. I actually like the absense of a hat band and the cotton eight panel is very comfortable and cool. Sometimes though I find them a little too big and a feel a bit too outlandish on some occasions when you want to keep a more low profile.

butterscotch

HatsWV

New in Town
I Feel compelled to sing the praises of zasu caps myself.

I put in an order with Ralph for a cap made from beige corduroy and I'm loving it.

It's fuller then any cap I own, features a comfortable quilted cotton lining, and I particularly like the long bill in the front which I find more akin to a ball cap bill then a typical newsboy bill.

Odd choice with the button that sticks up but it doesn't hurt the hat overall that much.

Adnamira

A-List Customer
Ralf is also a good seller to deal with. The caps are cheapest in price out of any discussed in this thread, his postage reasonable, and he posts straight away. The button and the way the seams roll over turns off those who are going for the crisp vintage look, but the stitching in the caps is very good quality, and the caps do have a good shape to them. Zasu caps are actually a lot shadier than a baseball cap - the brim is bigger and the crown gives protection to your ears and temples. I reckon they are a good cap for wearing to music festivals, markets and that sort of thing - kind of a more looser relaxed, chilled out kind of a look. My denim one is as cool as any cap I own, even though there is a lot of material in it - roominess, eight panel cotton lining and shadiness. The only caps I've seen with linings that might rival those of Ralf's are those made by Bela, which have the same eight panel design - the eight panel lining is good because it conforms to the shell and doesn't bunch up and push the crown out of shape.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Vampyre Master That is a Kool Pic !
Adnamira.... ZaZu is A good Value, Has the true Vintage Look & the DingleBerry Adds a Cool touch, the handmade look makes it even nicer...
& yup a very nice liner indeed, there hats will do what you want (conform)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I am looking to get a linen flat cap for summer. I have a RetroSport in tweed that I love, but the ones from Bela/Helvill also look good. Anyone who has both have any thoughts on which they like better?

Thank you in advance.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Linen Retro-Sport
232323232%7Ffp635%3C9%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B5534%3Bnu0mrj
232323232%7Ffp73447%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B4834%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63556%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B5234%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63575%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B5334%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63577%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B5734%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3B8%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B5934%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63634%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B5434%3Bnu0mrj

Plenty of Shot's of all sides for you to decide.
The linen is crisp & firm but very lite weight, as you see it stands at attention & does not sag, not to wrinkly, i just pulled this from under a stack of 6 caps & it kept it shape well. I like the big & long (front to back bill) I dont like small brims on caps due to the funny Mushroom effect a small brim Gives.
all i need is a leather sweat band modification & im Set..... oh yea & i need a haircut
looks like the seller has very few left & as you see my pics show the true color compared to the sellers pics
they also have a darker linen on there site
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CASQUETTE-C...tements_AccessoiresHommes&hash=item2a111bbef4
che

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Nice! Thank you, like yourself I like them long and not totally round (the mushroom look does not suit me either).

Woodfluter

Practically Family
This little cap looks to have a bit of structure to it. Not bad price for a cashmere cap. Apparently there's cashmere and there's cashmere, but it looks alright - haven't seen too many cashmere caps patterned like that. Postage is up there, but might be a good by for anyone in Europe or Britain.

http://shop.goodscph.com/products/city-sport-peak-cap-brown-check

Hi Adnamira, Hi Chasseur -

I have a navy blue linen City Sport that seems to be the same model as pictured here (10").
http://www.classic-caps.co.uk/acatalog/baker_boy.html
As well as a the model 420 that is 11", in light green.
http://www.hats-plus.com/p-1154-city-sport-linen-newsboy-cap.aspx

I've been wearing both a good deal lately.

The linen is probably the same as used by Brigitte in the Retro Sports, judging from Seabass' photos, and I can't praise it highly enough. Firm, breathable, just really high quality material.

I'd add however that the light wool Retro Sport I got about a month back is about equally cool in warmer weather. Wool can be very versatile.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
232323232%7Ffp63556%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B5234%3Bnu0mrj

Che love the linen Retro Sport will just have to pull the trigger on getting one so I can wear it this summer.
What did we decide on the sizing of Retro Sport I wear a 59. Do I need to get a size 60? I will most likely put a leather sweat in the cap in the future also.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63556%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3536744%3B5234%3Bnu0mrj[/MG]

Che love the linen Retro Sport will just have to pull the trigger on getting one so I can wear it this summer.
What did we decide on the sizing of Retro Sport I wear a 59. Do I need to get a size 60? I will most likely put a leather sweat in the cap in the future also.[/QUOTE]
TWH the sizing issue was the eBay listing stated both metric & US sizing
Go by the metric for the correct size & ignore the listed US sizing .
Example I am a 7 1/4 I ordered there T-59 which was too big it was a 7 3/8. So go metric due to the seller having the incorrect US size listed
She only has a few left in linen also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko