Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cap Faction

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
I've worked out a killer system for storing caps in a drawer while keeping their shape - stay tuned in the next few weeks!

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
I thought I'd share this unusual find in Paris. A deadstock 1930s "Vogue" cap By BG or GB. The fabric is tightly rolled paper wrapped in silk! Light as a feather and perfect for the summer. I carefully sized it up to my head and blocked it. The last pics show it as I found it. Aside from some wear in the creased areas (never having been on flattened in 80 years or so!), it is a sweetie. I'll enjoy this one during the hot months here.

vogue-straw-silk-1.jpg

vogue-straw-silk-2.jpg

vogue-straw-silk-3.jpg

vogue-straw-silk-4.jpg

vogue-straw-silk-5.jpg

vogue-straw-silk-6.jpg

vogue-straw-silk-7.jpg

vogue-straw-silk-8.jpg

Keith Lo Bue.
Jeweler, Artisan, Stuffsmith.
http://lobue-art.com
http://keithlobue.com

Last edited:

GregNYC

One Too Many
What a great rescue operation! Dead stock indeed - the label was still on the outside! BTW, what happens to that fabric in the rain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1ggles

Familiar Face
I finally took the plunge and bought another cap from Studio Donegal. I've had their Student cap for many years and this time I bought the Gatsby. Last time I was over on the west coast, I went to Inishmor, the largest of the Aran Islands, and found that they are very sniffy about tweed that isn't handwoven, but I was able to show them my Studio Donegal label and all was saved.

This one's a bit on the large side (their sizing goes from 58 to 60) but I'm not sure there's much I can do about it, I guess being out in a good downpour might help a bit.

GregNYC

One Too Many
B1ggles, it doesn't look too large at all! Reminds me of my Jonathan Richards, though I don't know if it's hand-woven tweed....

B1ggles

Familiar Face
Cheers for the compliments on my new cap, guys. I'm loving it even more now. I'll see how quickly it's noticed down the pub tonight! Bad news is, my daughter saw a photo of it and says she likes it - that means I'm going to have trouble keeping if off her head when she's home this winter - I'm thinking her head's a little smaller than mine, in which case I should be OK.

That sounds an amazing method of manufacture, Keith. Is that very unusual? It must have been very expensive when it was new?

GregNYC

One Too Many
Wonderful, Alan! My dad had a cap like that in the early 70's which I think was already vintage. At the time I thought "OK, but pimp hats are cooler" (I was like 19 and a Superfly fan!). Little did I know that I'd be trying to collect hats like my dad's later on in my own life!

Here's a vintage-style "Retro Sport" that Johnnie re-worked, adding the supple leather sweatband.

881829f908fc1df0d3108baca9cc07b6.jpg

1284803b06cd5f46f0a30658bb8d6df5.jpg

26f406de52b028bafec5d65c5db75499.jpg

bac573aecfff1ff90c99bcedd50e1d30.jpg

8f0b769b7dc7f72dcccc9765bf4ec703.jpg

Last edited:

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
I'm not sure why Alan's post is just blank for me, no pic. Hmmm.

Thanks, guys, for the comments on the Vogue. Greg, I'm not sure how it would fare in the rain - don't think I want to try it out!

B1ggles, love your Donegal!! It suits you beautifully! As to your question about my cap being expensive at the time, I'd say just the opposite - I think that was quite a cheapie. It would have been far less than a tweed, as it is like a light straw, only more fragile. Perhaps for teenagers at the time??

It cost me all of $10 including shipping from the owner to my hotel, so it was a bargain for sure!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112