Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Never had a Indiana Jones comment.Really liked all the movies.Crystal Skull was one of my favorite movies.Of course being someone who has been aducted by aliens,it was entertaining to me.
I actually had one. I was wearing one of my Open Roads, Silverbelly with a thin ribbon. The young cashier checking me out at our local grocery store said, "Nice Indiana Jones hat". I responded with a, "Thank you".

frussell

One Too Many
I get Marlboro Man, Hopalong, Doc Holiday, Gene Autry, Wyatt Earp...one I like the least is Quick Draw...always consider the source & wear your lid with confidence...

I hear you, Tom. Unfortunately, at my size, I've always gotten a lot of "Hoss." Thankfully, younger folks don't know much about Bonanza, so that's starting to fade a little. With a high-crowned hat on, I'm approaching 6'8" or thereabouts, so most people keep their comments to themselves, although I do get lots of sideways looks, both in a fedora and western. I used to enjoy the reactions I got when I went directly to the local supermarket straight from the stables, still in chinks and spurs and hat (and accompanying odor, which you only notice AFTER you've left the horse-dwelling area). Folks around here didn't quite know what to make of it, and you could almost see the little wheels turning in their heads. Frank

Huertecilla

Banned
Like any good myth

Has anyone mentioned Frederick Albert Mitchell-Hedges yet?

The original and not just for the crystal skull aspect but already for the character of Harry Steel, right down to the girlfriend(s).

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
Lol, so Crystal Skull was on again today, and tbh it contains my favorite Indy hat moment ever... At the end when his hat is blown off the rack and Mutt picks it up. Well the look of 'I don't think so Jr.' After he takes it back before Mutt can put it on.... Priceless!

hatguy1

One Too Many
Lol, so Crystal Skull was on again today, and tbh it contains my favorite Indy hat moment ever... At the end when his hat is blown off the rack and Mutt picks it up. Well the look of 'I don't think so Jr.' After he takes it back before Mutt can put it on.... Priceless!

Yeah. When that part played in the theater where I saw it, I actually laughed and said the same in a low voice. That Mutt mutt couldn't fill Indy's boots/fedora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm convinced that was a nod to the fans who suspected before it was released that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was going to be a "passing the torch" movie, and that Shia LeBeouf (or whoever) would somehow be taking over the franchise and replacing Ford in the lead role. I think it was Lucas', Spielberg's, and Ford's way of saying, "Maybe someday, but not yet."

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I see Shia as a whiney, punkish, little manchild. I do NOT see anyone like that "being" the next Indiana Jones, so if they thought they were passing the torch to LeBeouf, they failed miserably.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I see Shia as a whiney, punkish, little manchild. I do NOT see anyone like that "being" the next Indiana Jones, so if they thought they were passing the torch to LeBeouf, they failed miserably.

In addition to his character dropping out of college to be a motorcycle mechanic. Doesn't seem to be the right background to becoming an Archaeologist.

Huertecilla

Banned
In addition to his character dropping out of college to be a motorcycle mechanic. Doesn't seem to be the right background to becoming an Archaeologist.

Uffffff.
Like from Mitchell Hedges through Harry Steel to Indiana Jones are serious archeologists... Come on. Indy is a gloryfied grave robber. All the franchise needs is a half gent half bad boy character who oozes capable independance in a mature way.

Huertecilla

Banned
They're action adventure entertainment, nothing more.

And any other conclusion no different than the reason for this thread; lack of perspective.

As to the tópic of the thread I accept it the way it is and accept compliment gracefully. Whether that is a about my pirate´s outfit when horse riding or about Indy when topped with a leather outback.
The way I see it, it is deplorably rare enough for people to notice anything and rarer still for them to make an observation about it. When one does, I am pleased.

The character is based on a hugely popular rogue treasure hunter/grave robber type originating from the turn of the 19th C. It was selling BÍG time; was appealing to a wide public then the same way it is appealing to a wide public now.
Wide public per definition means superficial and that extends to the archetypical attire of which the hat is part. There is no more to it than than.

Just smile and tip your hat. Thát is courteous and ever so much enjoyable.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
Had a Northern California Western hat customer of mine who needed an Indiana Jones Hat for a costume event he was attending email me with his request. He spent a fair amount of time acquiring all the various parts of the costume, from jacket all the way down to the boots. I was honored that he trusted me to create the "correct" hat for him (I think they used four different makers/versions for the movies!)

I used various shots from all the movies and we came up with the finished version you see here. I don't create a lot of fedoras, but this one was a really fun project to work on. He reported back that he won the contest, hands down.
indy_fedora.jpeg

humanshoes

One Too Many
Had a Northern California Western hat customer of mine who needed an Indiana Jones Hat for a costume event he was attending email me with his request. He spent a fair amount of time acquiring all the various parts of the costume, from jacket all the way down to the boots. I was honored that he trusted me to create the "correct" hat for him (I think they used four different makers/versions for the movies!)

I used various shots from all the movies and we came up with the finished version you see here. I don't create a lot of fedoras, but this one was a really fun project to work on. He reported back that he won the contest, hands down.
View attachment 147562
Great looking hat there Mike. It looks like your customer did some good research on his Indy gear, right down to the leather strap on the gas mask bag.

Roadopen

One of the Regulars

View attachment 147562

Man o man there Mike! Looks like you are about to film a scene there where its similar to where The Last Crusade was shot?:D Where all the Akubra Feds were waiting for the father and son! :p That hat looks real good on yah mate, wear it well!:cool:

Ro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff