Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

I always thought Crystal Skull was a million times better than Temple of Doom.
The CS story line went with the 'serials' and films of the 50's pretty well I thought.
'Temple' was just stupid.
I don't know if it was "a million times better", but I agree it was better than Temple of Doom. The thing that ruins Temple of Doom for me is that screaming nitwit Willie Scott. I don't blame Kate Capshaw though; I blame Lucas and the two people who wrote the screenplay for writing the character that way, and Spielberg for directing her to act that way.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, rumor has it that Harrison Ford pushed for Lucas and Spielberg to work harder on Indy V, in order to gain his participation in Star Wars VII.

There may yet be more Indy...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I really disliked all the Indy films but Raiders. Raiders is a work of art. The sequels just descended into uninspired, dim-witted dross, each one worse than the other.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I liked Temple of Doom. They overdid the "gross out" scenes with bugs and such, but other than that it was almost pure action. Crystal Skull was the stupid one. Who survives a nuclear blast by hiding in a refrigerator?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I liked Temple of Doom. They overdid the "gross out" scenes with bugs and such, but other than that it was almost pure action. Crystal Skull was the stupid one. Who survives a nuclear blast by hiding in a refrigerator?

The same guy who survives jumping out of a plane with an inflatable raft.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
... he landed in soft water.

Temple of Doom? Nope. Indy, Short Round, Marion, all jump out of the plane, inflate the raft as they're falling, land on a mountain, and slide down into the river (also: water is not soft at terminal velocity).

[video=youtube;YL0LJf515Cw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL0LJf515Cw[/video]

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Temple of Doom? Nope. Indy, Short Round, Marion, all jump out of the plane, inflate the raft as they're falling, land on a mountain, and slide down into the river (also: water is not soft at terminal velocity).

[video=youtube;YL0LJf515Cw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL0LJf515Cw[/video]

Yeah, but that's Hollywood. It's not supposed to make sense...Just don't try jumping out of an airplane with an inflatable raft at home...

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, but that's Hollywood. It's not supposed to make sense...Just don't try jumping out of an airplane with an inflatable raft at home...

Oh, I totally agree. I'm actually a defender of Indy IV. Of course Raiders is a far superior film, but Indy IV gets judged harshly. Like the nuking the fridge scene....even the idea that "nuking the fridge" has become the new "jumped the shark." Yes, of course it's ridiculous to survive a nuclear blast in a fridge. But I don't think it's really that much more ridiculous than surviving the drop in the raft (or the fall through the awnings, or flipping the motorcycle over by shoving the flag pole through the spokes, or the fuselage of the plane sliding neatly through the tunnel after the wings get sheared off, etc, etc, etc).

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Oh, I totally agree. I'm actually a defender of Indy IV. Of course Raiders is a far superior film, but Indy IV gets judged harshly. Like the nuking the fridge scene....even the idea that "nuking the fridge" has become the new "jumped the shark." Yes, of course it's ridiculous to survive a nuclear blast in a fridge. But I don't think it's really that much more ridiculous than surviving the drop in the raft (or the fall through the awnings, or flipping the motorcycle over by shoving the flag pole through the spokes, or the fuselage of the plane sliding neatly through the tunnel after the wings get sheared off, etc, etc, etc).

Thank you! There's so much unbelievable silliness in all of those movies, (and I love them for it) I don't understand why Crystal Skull, or that scene in particular keep getting pointed out.

Besides, we had a fridge very similar to that when I was a kid, right down the the horrific green color. I can totally buy it being serviceable emergency bomb shelter. ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

I agree...I'm one of those who actually liked KOTCS. I liked it better than TOD...as far as the fridge / nuke scene, as outlandish as it may be, it's fairly typical of the impossible situations that Indy finds himself in all of his movies.

XB234C

New in Town
You know, if it's not being referred to as "Indiana Jones" it's being called a cowboy. Somedays I just smile and nod my head, some days I have to restrain myself from spouting inappropriate comments in public. I've almost taken it to the point of vowing to not wear my dark brown fedora until this latest installment of the "IJ" saga wears off on the general public. The worst part is that I have three fedoras in various shades of brown that could all be easily mistaken for an "IJ" hat simply due to the fact that color is the only one that I think looks good on me.

I got a grey one. In 6 or 7 years I may have gotten one Indiana Jones comment. Most people just say "nice hat"...

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
I agree...I'm one of those who actually liked KOTCS. I liked it better than TOD...as far as the fridge / nuke scene, as outlandish as it may be, it's fairly typical of the impossible situations that Indy finds himself in all of his movies.

I liked Crystal Skull as well, and I think that it gets panned so hard because 1) alien artifacts aren't as accepted as well as religious, and 2) I see far too often anymore where people like to pick things apart. From wrestling to movies to books, nobody just sits back and let's themselves be entertained. They are too busy saying, "Well I would have done this..."

Hell if you ask me the end sequence in Skull was no less far fetched than the opens ing of the Ark, or the dude cutting a heart out with his hand, or even the grail magically healing Indy's dad. However because those things are based on earthly myth, and not the real scientific possibility of extra terrestrial life, well it's more believe able...

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Never had a Indiana Jones comment.Really liked all the movies.Crystal Skull was one of my favorite movies.Of course being someone who has been aducted by aliens,it was entertaining to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points