Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The D-1 that will not die...

fishmeok

Vendor
I picked up this original a few years ago- it was complete but the zipper was wrong, finish was completely worn off, etc. I first repainted the finish and added a NOS Talon and started wearing it around. Almost immediately the shoulder ripped. So I patched that. Then I noticed the windflap was rotten and decided to stop messing around and just keep it as a pattern to use someday.

My wife came down ill last summer and taking care of my family has occupied all my time. I have not worked on a jacket since last Spring. She is through her treatment now and slowly starting to feel better. I decided to dig through and clean up my old jacket piles. Found the D-1 again, and thought it would be relaxing to start up my machine and give it another go. I removed the old repair and added goatskin reinforcement panels to the shoulder and under the windflap. After dying to the correct color they looked pretty good, so I started wearing it again.

Then the inside left arm panel blew out. I was going to give it up again, but decided to keep going out of sheer bloody-mindedness. I added a huge reinforcement panel to the bottom of the arm and started wearing it again. So far it has held up. I wanted this to look like a field repair so I did not dye to match all the panels.

We'll see what happens next.

Cheers
Mark

[/quote]

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Stories like this are why I shy away from sheep skin jackets... Just too delicate. But I think the idea of a goat-reinforced jacket with a fleece lined interior sounds quite appealing.

Edward

Bartender
Stories like this are why I shy away from sheep skin jackets... Just too delicate. But I think the idea of a goat-reinforced jacket with a fleece lined interior sounds quite appealing.

I wouldn't - they're more robust than you'd realise, for the most part. Bear in mind that this particular jacket is already over seventy years old.... a new repro won't be quite as fragile. The tanning process of the new ones is also different in some way - looks and wears the same, but original USAAF stuff hasn't always survived as well as RAF Irvins owning to treatment procedures.

Stand By

One Too Many
Firstly, I'm glad that your wife is on the mend. Good to hear.

Secondly, this is what I love to see on TFL (this section) and I think it's fantastic that a jacket like this, after all this time, ends up with a person such as yourself; someone who knows what it is and appreciates it for that - and as such, lovingly repairs it with passion. And it's still here and looks great. I'd be proud to own that!
Well done, Sir!
And thanks for posting.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That's a lovely jacket! I hope my jackets will still be in such great condition and still be worn in 70 years...

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I have a D-1 that someone couldnt stop wearing, you should see what the guy did to it! Its Just not possible to wear it anymore. I will take some photos and show you the end result of what happens when you dont retire a workhorse Jacket. Gimme a few days of course, but man...we are talking Extra Crispy and more shredded Than a Julienne salad.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a D-1 that someone couldnt stop wearing, you should see what the guy did to it! Its Just not possible to wear it anymore. I will take some photos and show you the end result of what happens when you dont retire a workhorse Jacket. Gimme a few days of course, but man...we are talking Extra Crispy and more shredded Than a Julienne salad.

I want to see this DD :)

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
lost my Camera, and cant find any decent snaps of it, please be patient.

I Stumbled upon My D-1 in Victoria B.C. in a Military Antiques shop back in 2008, I asked the owner if he had any flight Jackets or Bomber Jackets and USAF gear, he scratched his head and said he thought not. I dug around and rooted through some Coats on a hanger and pulled out the D-1 after about 2 minutes flat and brought it up to him and said: So what do you call *this* then!

He said, ah you dont want that thing its way beyond salvage.

I paid full price and took my cake and had a slice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass