Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havana

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
"Borsalino.....The very best hat there is," he replied with a haughty air.

Sounds like this guy was repeating a line he heard from a salesman. I think you were more than courteous in letting that bold assertion go by unchallenged even though it was before he insulted your lid. Also, the "Dorkman Horrific" comment seems like a real jewel he'd been saving up. He sounds like the kind of character who goes around pronouncing Target as "tar-jay" and thinks it's oh so clever. This clown approached you for no other reason than to draw you out and put you down. I'll never understand why people put so much effort into spreading negativity. It seems like so much more work than just being kind and civil. Anyway, keep wearing that Dorfman for work if that's what you like. If you chose to upgrade, I would suggest an Akubra. They are absolutely perfect work hats and will take just about any level of abuse.

grundie said:
I once walked in to a pub in York, England on my own wearing a tweed suit and brown trilby and the bar lady shouted at me "Look, it's the Blues Brothers!" I looked at her straight in the eyes and said rather sarcastically "Yes, the Blues Brothers, they were famous for wearing tweed suits and brown trilbies". Rather than shut her up, this caused her to start singing songs from the film. I had one pint and left.

Image to word association at the idiot level.:eusa_doh:

AlterEgo said:
"Borsalino. Made in Italy of pure beaver fur. The very best hat there is," he replied with a haughty air.

The current owners of Borsalino are cashing in on the brand name, they are top quality no more. You should have asked if it was a recent purchase and explain that the company running Borsalino currently is producing hats of much lower quality than what they did in the past. So they are a lot of money for a lesser hat. As I understand it their hats will not stand up to rain and lose their shape quickly. In the end the revenge is knowing that he has more money than sense.

Brian R.

New in Town
"Who do you think you are 'Indiana Jones'." This really ruffled my feathers, but I was able to forgive my sister.

also in the summer i wear my straw fedora. There is a local TV attorney that wears a panama, who uses the slogan "If you need help, call the man in the hat." I am refered to the "Man in the hat" alot.

theinterchange

One Too Many
While out running errands in my Federation just now, I stopped in at the KFC/Long John Silvers to grab some lunch to go. [Mistake!! :eusa_doh:]

After ordering, I did the step back and wait for my food to come out thing. As I was standing there a guy passed me and went, "Indiana Jones hat!" really fast, and didn't even stop. I wasn't sure if he was insulting me, complimenting me, or thinking out loud. His delivery style was ambiguous enough to have been any of those. [huh]

Randy

jaymag_87

New in Town
I've had a couple over the last few weeks...

I have recently begun to wear non-ball cap hats, again. A couple weeks ago, while wearing my newly purchased ($25 at the Stetson/Resistol Outlet) all wool black Stetson Lodi with 2 1/4 in. brim, I walked into a local pizza establishment. We were holdong an officer's meeting of the local Alumni group with which I am involved. One of the officers fires off "Look, it's Sherlock Holmes.":eusa_doh: Granted the new Sherlock Holmes movie came out recently and RDJr wears a fedora in the movie, but really? Sherlock Holmes?[huh]

Same hat, different day in my office: I work with 5-6 other people. One recent Upstate NY transplant said my hat reminded him of a Hassidic Jew. Not that I looked like one, but it reminded him of one. The African-American lady that works with us told me it makes me look dashing and debonair. :D

Just Monday, I was leaving the office to go pick up my new customized Peter's Brothers of Fort Worth Indy. As I walked through the reception area of the building we share with another company, a waiting "gentleman" said, "It looks like you are going on an expedition." :eusa_doh: I was wearing olive cargo pants, hiking shoes, a tan fleece jacket, and a backpack computer bag. Fortunately, I was not wearing my new customized Indy, so no Indiana Jones reference.

No full-on Indiana Jones or Inspector Gadget comments yet, but I'm sure that will come. The Rib and I are going to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy this weekend, so I expect at least one comment out of that adventure. :p

I feel that a reference to Indiana Jones is most of the time, a good thing. The Indaina Jones character is well received by most males as an iconic image of the everyday man that is the good guy and is a hero as the result of his actions in fighting evil while on a quest for some item.

For many the question is:
"When does the position of 'fan' go too far in the eyes of society?

Most of us simply do not want to look foolish in the eyes of their fellow man so we may worry if we have crossed some line in our enthusiasm. :eek:

For the regular person, the concepts of a better sense of dress approaches incomprehensible. They see someone in a fedora or fedora and higher class of clothing, their fetid brain seeks an analogy image, reach a conclusion such as IJ, Dick Tracy, Inspector gadget, Mafia, etc. They then blurt it out because they cannot contain their joy at passing the test of equating the image of you with an image from popular film. :eusa_doh: Some inspite of a passion for wearing their favorite sports team clothing to announce their fawnish doting, deride others as fans that have crossed that unspoken line of going to far to look 'too much' like a pop culture icon. How often do some accuse others of exactly what they are guilty of to begin with?

theinterchange

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
How often do some accuse others of exactly what they are guilty of to begin with?

Thing is, I'd never go up to someone and comment on their sports jersey in any way shape or form. I may think something, but not say anything. ;)

Randy

carldelo

One Too Many
theinterchange said:
Thing is, I'd never go up to someone and comment on their sports jersey in any way shape or form. I may think something, but not say anything. ;)

Randy

Ain't that the truth. At graduation a couple of years back, I was standing in line with the rest of the faculty in academic regalia. I had a colleague give me a hard time because my robe has two wide orange vertical stripes on it - he said I looked like a coast guard buoy. Meanwhile, he was wearing his wrinkled black robe over a ripped red corduroy shirt topped with a yellow polyester Tweety-Bird tie. Unbelievable gall - luckily, I managed to restrain myself from throttling him and did not make fun of his own attire (I was still the new guy then).

Precisely! The sports addict doesn't see their appearance as clownish in any way.

Their comments are uncontrolled "ejaculations" is an offshoot of the Jerry Springer audience reflexive response.

That re-enforced the idea that "my opinion is important and really counts, it's so important that my right to blurt it out at you over rides the old addage of: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
For the regular person, the concepts of a better sense of dress approaches incomprehensible. They see someone in a fedora or fedora and higher class of clothing, their fetid brain seeks an analogy image, reach a conclusion such as IJ, Dick Tracy, Inspector gadget, Mafia, etc. They then blurt it out because they cannot contain their joy at passing the test of equating the image of you with an image from popular film. :eusa_doh:

This is hilarious, psychologically insightful, and extremely well-written.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jaymag_87 said:
The African-American lady that works with us told me it makes me look dashing and debonair. :D

The single demographic group from whom I get consistently appreciative and positive comments on my attire is black women.

Black males are the second most appreciative group.

A few negative comments from the latter, once in a great while; solely appreciative comments from the former.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
The single demographic group from whom I get consistently appreciative and positive comments on my attire is black women.

My experience is the same. And it is always genuine positive comments and not just lip service.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Doran said:

I get a lot of "my uncle wears hats similar to yours, cool hat!" types of comments from the younger set. And a few days ago while standing in line at the meat market, a middle aged black man complimented me on my Federation. That was actually one of the most "feel good" compliments I've gotten in quite some time... apart from the random comments from cute girls of course. ;)

Randy

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"oh when I wear the "Solar Topee" I get comments such as "What is I like to work at the Zoo" "What is your favourite animal? (usually from infants) otherwise people say "Can I take your photo?" which I have no objection to, hats have gone mainstream anyway, its only something really Outrageous that will attract any attention, at all""

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Binkie,

I have been known to mow the yard wearing a Kitchener helmet, and I have to admit I've gotten more than a few looks, but it is comfortable!

Perhaps we need to work on getting people used to seeing them again.

Several of us are promoting International Derby Day, first Friday of each month, just to get the public used to seeing people wearing derbies and homburgs again.

Hope you all get on board down there!:eusa_clap

NeilA

Familiar Face
Today my girlfriends grandmother saw my avatar photo and asked if I was with the MIB. :eusa_doh: Gotta love old people huh? ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo