Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mick

New in Town
In my well worn leather western I got called Stevie Ray Morrison at a gig one time. As if to imply Stevie Ray Vaughn / Jim Morrison gave me a laugh :eusa_clap

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I wore my new Fed IV with beige trench coat in Lancaster on Saturday whilst pub-calling with my brother.

In several places I was told how good I looked (one person even said the best dressed person in the club) but I got one or two Inspector Gadget comments. Because these were people right next to me rather than passers by I decided not to ignore them but simply told the people that my name is Mr Alan Edwards and that I was a "private detective and gentleman of many tallents", showing the a business card (given to me as a Christmas present by friends) showing that to be the case. All comments turned to smiles and friendliness that way. One person even showed me his card making him out to be an "unruly gentleman".

Only one person didn't buy it when I showed her my card. She insisted that I was dressed up as "some cartoon character" despite me assuring her that I wasn't dressed up but this is how I normally dress. My brother suggested Inspector Gadget but she decided I was Dick Tracey and kept shouting it at me. I decided it was a lost cause when my brother subty suggested we leave this woman to herself.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
scottyrocks said:
Ah, alcohol. Turning people into morons for centuries. :rolleyes:
I'm proud to say that whilst I may have alowed myselk to consume a lot of alcoholic beverages at my brother's insistance I renained in full control of my cognitive functions (translated, I remained pretty sober). Plus I rarely drink much anyway, Saturday was an exception.

cptjeff

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
Ah, alcohol. Turning people into morons for centuries. :rolleyes:
Centuries?

Alcohol has been made and consumed by humans since the stone age. Literally. We've found traces on pottery shards. It seems that drinks like beer and mead predate bread.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I normally try to put a positive spin on any situation and even try to deal with idiots in a positive way. I try to return stupid comments with a joke that we can mutually laugh at whenever possible. Other times, I just can't help but have some devilish fun of my own. Yesterday, a young guy looked at my Akubra and said, "Hey cowboy, where's your gun?" I dropped my casual expression instantly and gave him my coldest Clint Eastwood stare. I calmly asked in my hardest voice, "Why do you need to know?" The guy just deflated like a balloon. He broke eye contact and said, "Hey, I'm sorry man. I was just kidding." Inside, I was about to absolutely explode with laughter.

The really funny thing is that I was actually packing my 45 under my G1 (legally, of course). I wish I could have just pulled it out and said, "Why my gun's right here, sonny." That kind of reaction is best left in the realm of fantasy for all kinds of reasons but it's an amusing fantasy.

NeilA

Familiar Face
Oh the joys of the concealed handgun license. :rolleyes: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Today I was wearing what is pictured below. When I walked in, my mother burst out laughing and asked if I was a soul man. I guess she thinks I'm a blues brother...[huh] [huh] :rolleyes:

NeilAW

NeilA said:
Oh the joys of the concealed handgun license. :rolleyes: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Today I was wearing what is pictured below. When I walked in, my mother burst out laughing and asked if I was a soul man. I guess she thinks I'm a blues brother...[huh] [huh] :rolleyes:
Like the look, especially with the shades! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
My son is always refering to my buddies as my "white hoodlum friends!"

NeilA

Familiar Face
Thanks

Thanks Gt,

White hoodlum friends is sure a nice way to put it, and if they dress as good as you I'm glad to see that the level of degereates in this country is improving. ;) :) :rolleyes:

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Not long ago, I had to leave raking to go get some more leaf bags at the nearby Home Depot, so I had on an old crushable wool felt Dorfman Pacific I wear for such yard chores.

As I was looking over all the different choices at the DIY store, I sensed someone was behind me. Well, there was, a well-dressed gentleman wearing a fine-looking fedora and staring at my crusher. Being a hat guy and the amicable type, I told him I liked his sharp lid and asked him what kind it was.

"Borsalino. Made in Italy of pure beaver fur. The very best hat there is," he replied with a haughty air.

I told him I was very familar with Borsas but didn't have one. Then I took off my beater, turned it upside down, and was about to tell him why I was wearing it (like my dusty boots, soiled clothes, and smudged face did not already signal that I was doing some kind of dirty work) when he sniffed,

"Dorkman Horrific."

That made me mad as hell, but I kept my composure and went on to tell him what I was up to in that hat, ending with, "I started to ask if you wear your Borsalino when you rake leaves, but methinks you have 'the help' do that."

What that man was doing in a Do-It-Yourself store is anyone's guess.

At any rate, I must confess, his comment did get under my skin and stay there. That's one of the reasons I've been looking at various fur felts for yard work, though I've not yet purchased one.

Mulceber

Practically Family
that's a new one - we're used to people not appreciating a fine hat, but someone looking down on our hats? You probably should find a fur felt hat for yard work, but I agree that that guy's reaction was absolutely atrocious. Wearing a fine hat or no, you should be treated with respect.

On a side note, I wasn't aware that Borsalino made pure beaver lids. Learn something new every day. -M

NeilA

Familiar Face
Mulceber said:
that's a new one - we're used to people not appreciating a fine hat, but someone looking down on our hats? You probably should find a fur felt hat for yard work, but I agree that that guy's reaction was absolutely -->atrocious<--. Wearing a fine hat or no, you should be treated with respect.

On a side note, I wasn't aware that Borsalino made pure beaver lids. Learn something new every day. -M

Exactly the word I was thinking of... my goodness...:rage: :rage:

NeilA

Familiar Face
Caity Lynn said:
I find I tolerate stupidity much better than snobbery.[huh]

Possibly because snobbery is effected and purposeful as stupidity is ignorace incarnate and often just someone speaking without thinking.[huh]

:eek:fftopic: Yay, I'm now a familiar face! :D :D :cheers1: :D :D

grundie

One of the Regulars
I once walked in to a pub in York, England on my own wearing a tweed suit and brown trilby and the bar lady shouted at me "Look, it's the Blues Brothers!"

I looked at her straight in the eyes and said rather sarcastically "Yes, the Blues Brothers, they were famous for wearing tweed suits and brown trilbies". Rather than shut her up, this caused her to start singing songs from the film.

I had one pint and left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo