Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindraker

Familiar Face
PeeWee said:
Excuse me....but you might be stepping on some toes here:) Exactly what is a distinct NC "Blue Ridge" redneck accent? I'm afraid if you heard me speak on the phone you might say the same thing about me...but it'tant the case a'toll.

Heheh see, I'm originally from Louisiana, and when I moved up here to Western North Carolina, the accent here was strikingly different. Not everyone has the same accent, but some of the more frequently encountered words are:

1) "Rifle" is now "Rayh-fuhl", "lights"/"layghts", "smile"/"smayle", "Bible"/"Bayh-buhl", etc.
2) "Truck" is now "Truhck"
3) "Main-te-nance" (the apartment repair fellow) yells "Maints!!!" when he enters an apartment. That took me a while to understand what he was yelling. A three syllable word is compressed down into one syllable.
4) "Je-sus" now has three syllables "Je-ye-sus"

I have noticed that this one city has grown a lot due to tourism in the past few years, however. That is making for a lot more mixed community -- which could be a good thing. Its homogenous accent may be dissipating due to the influx of tourists.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed

PeeWee said:
Excuse me....but you might be stepping on some toes here:) Exactly what is a distinct NC "Blue Ridge" redneck accent? I'm afraid if you heard me speak on the phone you might say the same thing about me...but it'tant the case a'toll.

ah was readin' this hyar an' reckonin' thet might be th' case. Better not say it in Cinci' though: Cincinnati City Council members approved a measure Wednesday af'ernoon, as enny fool kin plainly see...it is illegal t'discriminate aginst a varmint based on ...Race, junder, an' Appalachian ancestry, among other chareeckeristics.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Mindraker said:
Heheh see, I'm originally from Louisiana, and when I moved up here to Western North Carolina, the accent here was strikingly different. Not everyone has the same accent, but some of the more frequently encountered words are:

That's right....there are at least 5 distinct native accents in NC. It really all depends on what region you're from. I'm a Raleigh native and speak a more middle of the road or "Piedmont" accent. I love to guess where folks are from here just by hearing them speak.

By the way, if you find a good hat here in NC let me know. I hant found a good'un yet:)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
ah was readin' this hyar an' reckonin' thet might be th' case. Better not say it in Cinci' though: Cincinnati City Council members approved a measure Wednesday af'ernoon, as enny fool kin plainly see...it is illegal t'discriminate aginst a varmint based on ...Race, junder, an' Appalachian ancestry, among other chareeckeristics.

Hey Rick, I read your post above and understood every word....but then saw your location and realized why.lol ;)

Funny, that's how folks talk down here in South Central Tennessee too![huh]

Regards! Michaelson

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Michaelson said:
Hey Rick, I read your post above and understood every word....but then saw your location and realized why.lol ;)

Funny, that's how folks talk down here in South Central Tennessee too![huh]

Regards! Michaelson

Yeah Brother Michaelson, testify t'th' truth. Yo' kin take th' fella fum th' hills but not th' hills fum th' fella, eh?

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Rick Blaine said:
Yeah Brother Michaelson, testify t'th' truth. Yo' kin take th' fella fum th' hills but not th' hills fum th' fella, eh?

I didn't realize how easy that would be to read either..guess it comes natural:)

Michaelson

One Too Many
PeeWee said:
I didn't realize how easy that would be to read either..guess it comes natural:)

Well heck, PeeWee, you're just on the other side of the mountains from us...so why not?[huh] lol

Regards! Michaelson

The Wingnut

One Too Many
My dad (who is a professional photographer) has a client that pronounced her name 'Mao-lin'...which is how I wrote it when taking down a phone message from her for the first time.

Actual name? Marylin Buffman. Not ethnic. Constantly sounded as if she had incredibly bad congestion. East coaster of some sort.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Well...there once was a tradition amongst Southern rednecks never to wear straw hats, no matter how miserably hot it got. Straw was associated in their minds with indolent and shiftless persons...or more pointedly, with persons who, whatever their work ethic, tended to wear their skins a shade or two darker than was fashionable.

In fact, before a redneck was a redneck, he was often called a "wool-hat."
Help me Fletch. Define Southern redneck for me.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I wear mah Noo Awlins accent as a badge of honor. Many are somewhat affectionately as well as some what derisively called "Yats." This is because we often greet each other by saying "where y'at?" Of course the obvious answer is raht chere, but we usually say "Ah'm aw-rite, where you at? How's ya mama an'em?"

Despite my Masters degree, I'm disappointed by the slow homogenization of accent and dialects due to dispersal and the affects of television and movies. It's not that I want stupid people, far from it, but we lose something when all 300,000,000 of us sound exactly alike.

The problem is when we begin thinking we're superior because of accent.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
right after i received a compliment from one of the elderly regulars...i see you have your winter hat on, that looks real good, great color, i really like that one....

I got this from my co-hort...you look like an undertaker....adn Yes I do, and I plan on burying you this afternoon...we all chuckled....

I was wearing my dark blue art fawcett with a black leather jacket....

mark the shoeshine boy

Merlin

Familiar Face
I was wearing a tan overcoat and brown hat and was called "Inspector Gadget" once.

*sigh*

But that was just once, so I can get over it. What I hate is when someone sees me in a dress hat of some sort and calls me a cowboy. That seems to happen at least a few times a year. Man, does that make my teeth itch. :mad:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Are we sure it is our Roberto? It does sound like him that is for sure. :p

Regards,

One and the same. In mentioning him by name, I assumed some people on here would know him.

There is only one Roberto

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I'm a head shaver and I get "what happened to your hair" a lot. That is a really, really dumb thing to say to somebody. I can't even think of a dumb responce to that:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael