Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grace

Vendor
This is rather off topic, but it is still the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say.

I was in line at Starbucks last winter, and the girl in front of me ordered a hot chocolate. After I had place my order, I was standing there waiting for it to come up at the other end of the counter. An employee sets a cup on the counter and says "Grande hot cocoa" and the girl in front of me says to the employee who set the cup there....

"But I ordered a hot chocolate" lol :eusa_doh:

Her boyfriend had to explain to her that it was the same thing, and she still looked dumbfounded.

Sorry for the hijack...just had to share that.

D

dzacca

A new comment...

Today I've been referred as Jigen, you know? From Lupin the 3rd anime lol

Daisuke Jigen
jigen.jpg

metropd

One Too Many
Possibly the dumbest comment I ever recieved was when I was talking about Vladimir Putin tying to own all the national media outlets in Russia. The girl says why is the leader of a country trying to purchase CNN apparel? NO Joke.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Powerhouse said:
ever get this one....

you look like my father/Grandfather.

I got that one at Bogart's, a restuarant in Raleigh, NC. The lady meant it as a compliment to me and she said that she wish more young men would dress up that way. It gave her good memories of her father. I still get the Indy one ever once in awhile and I usually say thank you.

Gray Ghost

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Gray Ghost said:
Powerhouse said:
ever get this one....

you look like my father/Grandfather.

I got that one at Bogart's, a restuarant in Raleigh, NC. The lady meant it as a compliment to me and she said that she wish more young men would dress up that way. It gave her good memories of her father. I still get the Indy one ever once in awhile and I usually say thank you.

Gray Ghost

I get the Indy one too, especially at college. It can get annoying after a while: he wasn't the only one to dress like that!

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Zemke Fan said:
Welcome to town. How's VT doing this year? Ever make it up north? We've got a small but growing gang of crazies in the D.C. area. (The most colorful by far is Quigley Brown.)

Hi! Tech is 9-2 so far, with only the UVA game left, then whatever bowl game they get into.

I've only been to the D.C. area 3-4 times, while I was married (my ex-wife is from Arlington.) I haven't had a reason to head up there since.

-Jake

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Anything remotely '20s to '50s in appearance is going to be a 'zoot suit' to most people now. Due to ignorance and popular media, the only reference most people have is CPD's song of ill repute.

The frustrating part is that trying to explain why it's so errant and offensive will either seem like nitpicking because most people don't even care about the details that make the difference in clothing, or it'll just seem like too much information in the first place. Short attention spans and a 'if it's older than 10 minutes it's so yesterday's news' attitude don't help our cause.

My uncle called it a zoot suit, and my mom actually jumped on him before I did...he didn't get it anyway.

*sigh* What I really find frustrating about the whole things is I'm dressing mostly for myself. To an extent, I don't even care what other people think. It's the 'Well, if you don't like the negative attention, why do you dress like that?' attitude that makes me wish I could carry a M1928 Thompson in a viola case, damn the stereotype!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
While wearing one of my favorite nose art A2 jackets one fine evening, a fellow accosted me as to it's meaning. He asked, "What does that mean? Hard to Get,....is the girl on the jacket hard to get,....or are you hard to get???? Or what???"
Most people it seems dare not say a word about any of my jackets as they are somewhat shy perhaps? Usually, if I get any comment at all, it's a favorable one, and I explain all and hand them my business card. :)
But this guy seemed to be showing off to the woman he was with. He was an older guy so we were surprised that he did not know what nose art is, so my friend that's with me proceeds to explain.
He waved the explanation aside and reiterated his questions.
So I told him it means,..."Difficult to comprehend." lol

I'm compelled to post again...

I've had people ask me what the heck the thing on the back of my jacket is. 'Nose art? What's that?' It's art on the nose of a plane. 'Then why is it on your jacket? You fly a plane with that on it?' No....*sigh*...it would take too long to explain. 'Then why are you wearing it if you can't explain it?'

...argh!

I'm throwing myself into the public in full '30s regalia for the first time in 11 months tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous about how well I'm going to be able to control my knee-jerk reactions to the potential screwballs. There are times I just want to clobber people for being such knuckle-dragging yahoos.

The Wingnut said:
Anything remotely '20s to '50s in appearance is going to be a 'zoot suit' to most people now. Due to ignorance and popular media, the only reference most people have is CPD's song of ill repute.

The frustrating part is that trying to explain why it's so errant and offensive will either seem like nitpicking because most people don't even care about the details that make the difference in clothing, or it'll just seem like too much information in the first place. Short attention spans and a 'if it's older than 10 minutes it's so yesterday's news' attitude don't help our cause.

My uncle called it a zoot suit, and my mom actually jumped on him before I did...he didn't get it anyway.

*sigh* What I really find frustrating about the whole things is I'm dressing mostly for myself. To an extent, I don't even care what other people think. It's the 'Well, if you don't like the negative attention, why do you dress like that?' attitude that makes me wish I could carry a M1928 Thompson in a viola case, damn the stereotype!

He had the same reaction. Just kept walking. :p

Regards,

J

To what effect and for whom is it all for?

The two questions are:
1) To what effect? Are you looking for a reaction?
and
2) For whom is it all for? Do you dress in period correct clothes with all of the appropriate accouterments for your appreciation or for others?

And I would think the answer for number 1 & 2 are intertwined. it is some of this and some of that. We all know when it is so enjoyable to get something "really right" and to that end there is satisfaction and enjoyment that comes from the knowledge of a subject such as 1930's mens fashion. With that always comes the feeling that you should be able to share the enjoyment, information and experience with others.

You would think of it as a wholely positive thing that others should enjoy. Here is where things get rocky, in the general populice the likes and dislikes run the gamat, the ability to understand let alone accept that some one might just happen to like and appreciate 1930's fashions is limited and for some might be a powerful enough stimulus to cause fights. (Again the bell curve comes into play here.) Acceptence is a key, for some, difference cannot be tolerated, is is seen as an afront or challenge to these people and they react to this type of thing as if you had spit in their face. Others may not be drawn to violence but still react to a challenge, others may simply have had a bad day and now see you as an easy target. Some minds are closed, others are open, but if the reaction is negative, chances are you could explain and argue until the cows came home, you can't argue this to the blindly non-appreciative, So don't waste your time, don't bother to engage unless harm is imminent, Flee if posible but protect yourself if necessary.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words (names) will never harm me. This is true and needs to be restated, verbal abuse is not physical abuse, and not many places still have "fightin' words" statutes to allow the drubbing of a wise acre. Best to walk away when you can and not escalate the matter.

Now sometimes someone is being funny and although at your expense, sometimes you can give them a "funning" back without fear. THen feel free but use caution.

Some people may think you are doing something pretty cool, but because they don't know the subect well, may make a mistake, well that's the time is for light hearted correction not some dressing down because you now have a chip on your shoulder. Who knows how many comments that were meant to be positive were taken negatively?

Best of all is to be with others of a like mind that not too critical and appreciates what your are doing. To be with others that have knowledge and background on the subject, that will tuitor and share as they are best able.

So, wear what you want but be prepared to run fast, maybe even stand an fight, sometimes. Just try not to ruin your good clothes!

Best of luck and know that you are looking damn good!

aliados

One of the Regulars
Maybe this is a change of topic, but I had to post this, and rather than start a new thread . . .

Got on an elevator in a public building this afternoon (along with two fellows I had never met before), carrying my hat (crown outwards, of course). One of the fellows asked if I could do him a big favor. I replied that I might. The favor? "Could you please put on that hat? I am a big fan of hats . . . "
Needless to say (and there being no ladies aboard), I complied, and he was suitably appreciative.

Nice that some people still appreciate the finer things (by the way, it was a brown Stetson Whippet, doubtless as old as I, but in much better shape!).

Charlie

Doh!

One Too Many
So last night I'm wearing my straw porkpie (it's been pretty warm here lately) while carrying my laundry into my building, and some youth drives by and shouts, "Hey! Curious George!" If he was in fact addressing me, I find several things wrong with his observation:

1) As far as I recall, Curious George didn't wear a hat.

2) If he was making a reference to The Man in the Yellow Hat, my hat looks NOTHING like the one in the books (I'm guessing he's not a big reader but mine looks nothing like the TV or movie version, either).

3) My hat, even at night, isn't yellow. Nor was I wearing a yellow outfit or even safari attire.

By the way, son, how brave of you to yell something at a total stranger from a moving vehicle! Why, there's not doubt in my mind that if you were around during World War II, you'd for sure be one of those brave souls raising that flag on Iwo Jima!

(or, you know, wetting himself while curled up in the fetal position sobbing "Make it stop! Make it stop!!")

Mindraker

Familiar Face
hats and dogs?

(First post, hello everyone.)
The strangest comment I've heard yet was while I was walking in the neighborhood, and a young lady's dog started barking at me. The lady said, "oh, it's probably the hat." Sure, honey.

Cute, but not strange: I was in a grocery store, minding my own business, looking at the seafood for raw oysters. An elderly couple was also there. The husband was also wearing a fedora and a jacket like mine, and wanders off. The wife doesn't notice that her husband has wandered off... and asks me, without looking up from the fish, "Is this salmon?" (I don't know the darndest thing about fish other than you eat it.) She then looks up to see me towering over her, realizing I'm not her husband. lol Cute comments about the hats are passed back and forth.

Mindraker said:
The strangest comment I've heard yet was while I was walking in the neighborhood, and a young lady's dog started barking at me. The lady said, "oh, it's probably the hat." Sure, honey.

Cute, but not strange: I was in a grocery store, minding my own business, looking at the seafood for raw oysters. An elderly couple was also there. The husband was also wearing a fedora and a jacket like mine, and wanders off. The wife doesn't notice that her husband has wandered off... and asks me, without looking up from the fish, "Is this salmon?" (I don't know the darndest thing about fish other than you eat it.) She then looks up to see me towering over her, realizing I'm not her husband. lol Cute comments about the hats are passed back and forth.

That's a compliment kind of like---grown ups wear hats. :D ;)
The dog probably just hates people in general---consider the owner. :p

Regards,

J

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mindraker said:

Actually, it's quite common for dogs to be afraid of
men with hats. So common that the first puppy class
my dog attended had a section on that. We were asked
to wear large hats to the class and walk around giving
treats to the dogs to calm them around men with hats.
Of course I had no problem finding an appropriate hat.
I walk my dog wearing a hat every day and wear hats
to the dog parks. I do get that response from dogs
now and then. Happily, no dog has yet managed to
get one of my hats. My puppy figured out pretty quick
that was not a safe thing to do...

Welcome to the Lounge, Mindraker.

Mindraker

Familiar Face
feltfan said:
men with hats.

Really? It took me quite by surprise because before I got my hat I did great with even stray dogs (this is my first hat ever, I never even wore a baseball cap before). [huh] Thanks for the welcome.

feltfan said:
men with hats. So common that the first puppy class
my dog attended had a section on that. We were asked
to wear large hats to the class and walk around giving
treats to the dogs to calm them around men with hats.
Of course I had no problem finding an appropriate hat.
I walk my dog wearing a hat every day and wear hats
to the dog parks. I do get that response from dogs
now and then. Happily, no dog has yet managed to
get one of my hats. My puppy figured out pretty quick
that was not a safe thing to do...

Welcome to the Lounge, Mindraker.

Interesting to know. I would have discounted it if you hadn't brought that forward.
My dog doesn't care what I wear. :D
Enjoy walking the dog with a safe hat on. :p

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael