Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I always love why are you wearing that questions. I just turn it around and
look them up and down asking: "Why are YOU wearing THAT?!";)
The you look stupid is another good one. "If I look stupid then you look like you escaped from a lunatic asylum in that outfit." "Your asylum called they lost their lunatic clown and want you back.":rolleyes:

"You look stupid!"

reply-

"You ARE stupid!"

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My favorite response so far was a couple of pages back:

"You look stupid in that hat."

"Well, I can take the hat off, but what are you gonna do?"

Best response EVER.
:eusa_clap

Boxytheboxed

New in Town
"You look stupid!"

"But if I take off my hat, you will no longer think so; but no matter what you do, I will always think you're stupid."

a bit too harsh? I dont think so

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Mr Vim said:
Fine, very fine indeed, that made my night... a very Churchill sort of style.

What did he say to the woman who called him drunk? That he'd be sober the next day but she'd still be ugly... stupendous!

I have seen different variations of this exchange, which, according to "Wikiquote", was verified by a bodyguard present as Mr. Churchill was leaving the House of Commons (I didn't even know "Wikiquote" existed until now...there's a Wiki-everything!). I proffer this version as it maintains a (small) degree of subtlety ;).

Bessie Braddock: 'Winston, you are drunk, and what's more, you are disgustingly drunk.'
Sir Winston: 'Bessie, my dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow morning, I shall be sober.'

Enjoy!

C-C

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Quite frankly, I am a bit surprised to see that this is even an issue anymore. Just before we were departing home to go see the film Inception in theaters, my second-youngest brother, aged 16, walked past the hallway, and he had noticed me in my room fiddling around with my fedora as I was getting ready to carry it outside the door and put it on. He told me that I can't bring it; it was apparently another one of those issues in which he knew he was going to feel uncomfortable in public with me wearing it, especially paired with an oxford dress shirt (blue) and khaki pants. Quite overdressed by the standards of my own age group, granted. Not willing to stir up any trouble this time, or to appear any more distant and aloof than I already may be perceived, I did not bring it, but he sure can be irrational at times.

The irony is, I got away with it (coincidentally in the same exact outfit, my wardrobe is rather limited due to excessive weight loss. When it comes to dress shirts, it's the blue one or the white one) the last time we had went to see a movie, and nobody gave me any trouble for it. There were even some other folks spotted in the crowd wearing fedoras, or stingy brim trilbies.

I think it mainly boils down to him being in a bad enough mood already. He wasn't interested in going to the theater, due to wanting relax at home and he was not feeling particularly well at the time. I bear no ill will against him, however, for he is my own brother and I love him dearly. I believe that he'll see past his flawed "perceptions" of me eventually; he's basically looking at me through the lense of some type of stereotype. This is an easily forgivable offense at worst. I've dealt with a lot, and through these unique experiences, have learned to deal with issues such as these when they arise. I have a feeling that if he was in a better mood, he'd probably be more tolerant.

I'm not stopping what I am currently going after; a classically-inspired wardrobe, not far off from a typical Golden Era look itself, and with some... modern "preppy" influences in the mix as well.

Oh, and whether khaki chinos, a light blue oxford shirt, and a dark brown fedora are actually a *good* clothing combination, is at your discretion. I think it works for me.

For myself I find that the only people that have a negative reaction tends to be teenagers.

Here in Southern California the vast majority of teens tend to be true living stereotypes of what a stupid teen can be and as such their opinion is without merit or value. The best thing is to remember that their brains are filled with narciscism, stupid ideas, conflicting thoughts, trite desires, all supercharged by hormone driven emotions, while their lack of knowledge, life experience, values, ettiquete, and history is overwhelming.

If chimps could speak I'd probably value their opinion more.

Carnage

One of the Regulars
Had one last night.

"I like your hat"

Me: Thanks

Him: I wasn't being serious, nobody wears hats it looks stupid

Me: So by saying the opposite of what you mean you're poking fun at my wearing a hat?

Him: Yeah, it's stupid.

Me: In that case Sir, I like your face *tips hat and walks off*

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Carnage said:
Had one last night.

"I like your hat"

Me: So by saying the opposite of what you mean you're poking fun at my wearing a hat?

You've got wit, sir! Great comeback.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Carnage said:
Had one last night.

"I like your hat"

Wot a cheeky bahstid!!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Had to endure about five minutes of very loud abuse from three youths on the bus today concerning my handlebar moustache. Given that I was on my way to see my wife who had been in the hospital overnight, I was really, really not in the mood.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Nick D said:
Had to endure about five minutes of very loud abuse from three youths on the bus today concerning my handlebar moustache. Given that I was on my way to see my wife who had been in the hospital overnight, I was really, really not in the mood.

Even if I honestly thought somebody looked stupid in something or with a particular brand of facial hair, I could NOT bring myself to openly criticize them. It's their business how they look, I have enough to worry about keeping myself presentable.

Randy

P.S I echo Neophyte in wishing your wife the best

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
theinterchange said:
Even if I honestly thought somebody looked stupid in something or with a particular brand of facial hair, I could NOT bring myself to openly criticize them. It's their business how they look, I have enough to worry about keeping myself presentable.

Randy

P.S I echo Neophyte in wishing your wife the best

See John in Covina's observations, above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn