Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Justice awaits them ...

Nick D said:
Had to endure about five minutes of very loud abuse from three youths on the bus today concerning my handlebar moustache. Given that I was on my way to see my wife who had been in the hospital overnight, I was really, really not in the mood.

I wish a speedy and complete recovery to the Mrs.

As for you, imagine those louts coming up to face our baseball legend Rollie Fingers in the next lifetime :

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_U44g5LYPDnA/TEypWLNsq3I/AAAAAAAAAFI/tviH3_NCKmU/031681.jpg

Carnage

One of the Regulars
J B said:
You've got wit, sir! Great comeback.

Thank you, not willing to let his comments pass unchallenged, the sad thing is he probably didn't even get what I was saying to him... lol

fenris

One of the Regulars
Carnage said:
Thank you, not willing to let his comments pass unchallenged, the sad thing is he probably didn't even get what I was saying to him... lol

I'm sure he did... only it took about an hour or so before his brain processed it.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Whenever someone I do not know expresses dissatisfaction with my appearance I always apologize.

"I'm sorry. Did I do something to give you the impression that I might value your opinion?"

Feraud

Bartender
Carnage said:
Had one last night.

"I like your hat"

Me: Thanks

Him: I wasn't being serious, nobody wears hats it looks stupid

Me: So by saying the opposite of what you mean you're poking fun at my wearing a hat?

Him: Yeah, it's stupid.

Me: In that case Sir, I like your face *tips hat and walks off*

Great comeback. lol

theinterchange said:
Even if I honestly thought somebody looked stupid in something or with a particular brand of facial hair, I could NOT bring myself to openly criticize them. It's their business how they look, I have enough to worry about keeping myself presentable.

And that is the general idea of the whole thread. There is a certain amount of decorum and manners that are lacking today. So much so that people are running around like ripped sacks---they can't keep anything in. They just have to tell you something you don't want or care to hear from a source that is dubious at best.:rolleyes:
I am with John. I'd rather listen to a chimp. Then again, a chimp would be a pretty good comparison if I were not insulting chimps everywhere. [huh]

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Whataya mean you don't like my hat?

ChimpInHat.jpg

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Sho...

jamespowers said:
And that is the general idea of the whole thread. There is a certain amount of decorum and manners that are lacking today. So much so that people are running around like ripped sacks---they can't keep anything in. They just have to tell you something you don't want or care to hear from a source that is dubious at best.:rolleyes:
I am with John. I'd rather listen to a chimp. Then again, a chimp would be a pretty good comparison if I were not insulting chimps everywhere. [huh]

...'nuff JP. A woman who is an acquaintance at best to my wife lectured her on how she is "too thin", which she isn't. Not a hat comment, but someone who'd say that would certainly say something about a hat.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Got called a $*%&ing toff today (gray db suit, gray spats, black bowler). That's a first for me. Also got called Charlie Chaplain across the street. But on the plus side, a woman told me it was so nice to see someone who dresses nicely for its own sake.

You have to ask yourself what type of value system do these people have where they insist on insulting people they don't know for being well dressed and/or wearing a hat.

"Poor people have poor ways." (A quote from Steve Z's mom.)

JimWagner

Practically Family
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute, if one dresses inappropriately for the situation, whether that be under or over dressed, or too far outside the norm, as in wearing clothing that is clearly anachronistic, then comments are too be expected. That is human nature.

No matter how elegant a tuxedo may be it is not normal at all for it to be worn while shopping in a big box store at noon on a Saturday or at a biker bar, for example.

In fact, I would contend that dressing too far outside the norm, whatever that may be, is a direct challenge to those around you, a visible rejection of everyone else's standards, and it is more of a surprise when people don't react to that challenge.

We are lucky enough in this country to enjoy a wide definition or "normal" or "accepted", but once outside of those fuzzy boundaries don't be surprised by the comments you might draw.

JimWagner said:
Just to play devil's advocate for a minute, if one dresses inappropriately for the situation, whether that be under or over dressed, or too far outside the norm, as in wearing clothing that is clearly anachronistic, then comments are too be expected. That is human nature.

No matter how elegant a tuxedo may be it is not normal at all for it to be worn while shopping in a big box store at noon on a Saturday or at a biker bar, for example.

In fact, I would contend that dressing too far outside the norm, whatever that may be, is a direct challenge to those around you, a visible rejection of everyone else's standards, and it is more of a surprise when people don't react to that challenge.

We are lucky enough in this country to enjoy a wide definition or "normal" or "accepted", but once outside of those fuzzy boundaries don't be surprised by the comments you might draw.

Now seriously, from someone who certainly has a fair historical perspective, can you really say that someone would make a stupid comment to someone like there are listed here some fifty years ago. They honestly would go up to someone and say they look stupid?
You know they wouldn't. It is just within the last 40 years or so that decorum and manners have gone out the window and people talk like their face in public. When is the last time YOU told someone to their face that they looked stupid? I bet never. The same with me. You can think it but that doesn't make it a thought crime. Voicing stupid comments makes you (in the general sense) sound stupid and you should be called on it.
Secondly, who defines this norm anyway? When does it shift to the lowest common denominator? How is it that a jackass in sagging pants and a hat on backwards is now the arbiter of style? These people are just petty and have nothing better to do than make snide comments. They need to be put back in their place and this thread helps out those that feel a little less than comfortable doing so; be it because they are new to dressing well or just plain shy.
Lastly, it makes more sense to increase the level of style in society more than it does to make everyone look the same and drab---especially when we have fools running around in pajama pants and ugg boots. If they feel we are "showing them up" then get with the program or keep it to yourself. Having standards in society is NOT a bad thing.

Tiller

Practically Family
JimWagner said:

Perhaps, but on the flip side their are plenty of people who go the other way, and I don't feel it is my duty to start telling off some hippie about how they are dressing. Yet members of our subculture are suppose to put up with personal insults do to a clothing choice?

I understand what you are saying, but the whole follow the other sheep mentality bothers me no matter the subject. I'm fine being the black sheep of society in that case, and if the others want to baa at me let them lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn