Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaBruno

Suspended
I agree that it can be overused. I know people that use it every other word. But, sometimes necessary evils are needed in this world. And, as you say, it can be used in a humorous fashion. ;)

BRUNO

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
i work for an auto dealership in southeast missouri...on wednesdays i always go to the cattle auction for lunch on wednesday to see some of my customers, make new contacts and have lunch...

today, i was dressed a little better than usual with a blue dress shirt, charcoal dress slacks, black dress shoes, black a2 and a light grey fedora..

now i admit that i was the odd duck in a crowd of bib overalls, jeans and farmers caps...but a third of these guys know me by name...i walked up into the open area around the arena and a few of the farmers greeted me very warmly as usual, except one feller took notice of me with my city slicker clothes on and said "aren't you a bit overdressed for a cattle auction ?"

I looked over at the lot of 20 cows being auctioned off and looked at the guy and said..."I don't think the cows mind a bit !"....the other farmers laughed and then we went off to have lunch....

all in good fun...

mark the shoeshine boy

akaBruno

Suspended
:D

20 cows. Yup, the days of the stockyards are gone. Sioux City used to be the biggest in the world... It's torn down now, with a Lowes sittin on it.

BRUNO

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
akaBruno said:
:D

20 cows. Yup, the days of the stockyards are gone. Sioux City used to be the biggest in the world... It's torn down now, with a Lowes sittin on it.

BRUNO

this is a small local auction...we have about 7 with a hundred miles, however they run 2,500 to 4,000 head a week....nothing like sioux city, by no means...but these are usually pretty healthy local ones...

mark tssb

shoeshineboy said:
i work for an auto dealership in southeast missouri...on wednesdays i always go to the cattle auction for lunch on wednesday to see some of my customers, make new contacts and have lunch...

today, i was dressed a little better than usual with a blue dress shirt, charcoal dress slacks, black dress shoes, black a2 and a light grey fedora..

now i admit that i was the odd duck in a crowd of bib overalls, jeans and farmers caps...but a third of these guys know me by name...i walked up into the open area around the arena and a few of the farmers greeted me very warmly as usual, except one feller took notice of me with my city slicker clothes on and said "aren't you a bit overdressed for a cattle auction ?"

I looked over at the lot of 20 cows being auctioned off and looked at the guy and said..."I don't think the cows mind a bit !"....the other farmers laughed and then we went off to have lunch....

all in good fun...

mark the shoeshine boy

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol Maybe the cows like it. [huh] :D

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
shoeshineboy said:

all in good fun...

mark the shoeshine boy

You should've worn an Open Road with the Cattleman's crease. lol

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Well on the 3rd of this month I had an interview at a home improvement store, so I put on the "interveiw duds" and as this is a werehouse type of store nothing to fancy just a pair of tan slacks and black knit sweter and a pair of nice shoes. The other guys that where thier were in jeans and sweatshirts or casual shirts. Now the one female that was thier was well dressed.
At one point between interviews one of the other guys that was their said "Oh you are waitting for an intervew also?"
I replyed that yes I was.
He then said "I thought you were someone important but the way that you are dressed."
I honestly was shocked and taken aback, yes I know what type of job and work envroment it is, I worked for the largest home improvement werehouse company in the nation for almost 9 years. But still that whole first impression, put your best foot forward and all that other stuff, when did that go by the wayside? Or are we the last one keeping this going?

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Paratrooper said:
Well on the 3rd of this month I had an interview at a home improvement store, so I put on the "interveiw duds" and as this is a werehouse type of store nothing to fancy just a pair of tan slacks and black knit sweter and a pair of nice shoes. The other guys that where thier were in jeans and sweatshirts or casual shirts. Now the one female that was thier was well dressed.
At one point between interviews one of the other guys that was their said "Oh you are waitting for an intervew also?"
I replyed that yes I was.
He then said "I thought you were someone important but the way that you are dressed."
I honestly was shocked and taken aback, yes I know what type of job and work envroment it is, I worked for the largest home improvement werehouse company in the nation for almost 9 years. But still that whole first impression, put your best foot forward and all that other stuff, when did that go by the wayside? Or are we the last one keeping this going?

You should have said "I am someone important, I'm the guy who's going to get this Job"

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
cooncatbob said:
You should have said "I am someone important, I'm the guy who's going to get this Job"
I almost did say that, but I did not plus some of the people who were doing the interviewing were in the same room and I thought that if I said that it might not be the best thing to say.
But they did offer me a full time job as a team lead, something the store manager "normally" dose not do, but with my experiance in the job and I like to think the way that I was dressed and handled myself in the the interviews.
So I'm gainfully employied ---yeah!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I swear, people in Dallas (where I'm doing some IT contract work) just don't "get" some of this stuff, not like the people back home in Fort Worth do (or they might well not get it either, but manners prevents them from speaking out). Just the other day, I was getting on the elevator, and was wearing some Bill's khakis, a nice white dress shirt, vintage tie, Peterman linen jacket, and a Panama (true, not what your normal IT guy wears, but then I'm not your normal IT guy), and this woman getting on the elevator with me laughed and said "look at that, you're wearing a zoot suit!" I was a bit confused, and got a look of puzzlement on my face and just asked "zoot suit?" She replied, "yeah, you've even got your gangsta hat on!"

So, Panamas are "gangsta hats" now. Good to know. And apparently, a brown & cream striped linen sport coat and khakis is a "zoot suit."

I simply ignored the comments and rode down. I wonder what she'd have said if I'd chosen my boater that day?

Then again, Dallas elevator encounters and I don't get along in general. I can't even count how many times I'll be about to step out of an elevator when somebody is coming in to it. Back home, the other person invariably gets out of the way and lets me off. Here, they just about shove me out of the way to get on before I can get off. Gah!

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
I haven't had any stupid comments yet, while dressed 30's, but when I do 1880's and travelled in character I've been asked if I'm Amish. Also back when I did Civil War reenacting, and most other reenactors have probably heard it also, the comments of "where's the British?" or "where's the indians?" But the most stupid comment that I heard was at a battle reenactment when I was in the crowd watching when a child asked his dad why the soldiers had inner tubes around them? (your black rubber coated poncho kept wrapped around your blanket roll with the ends tied together and slung around your shoulder),the dad answered saying....so when they fall down they don't get hurt. Honest!

ValleyBoy

Familiar Face
Oddly enough the dumbest comment has come from a 67 year old, hatless wonder. As I walked into a local gun shop the older man looked at me and began to laugh. Apparantly the driving cap (similar to the one in my avatar) was ammusing to him. He then said to me "You mother sent you to Cox's for a sear-sucker hat, and instead you went to Sears for Co*$-sucker's hat"! I very politely informed the elderly man that because I had never met him that I took offense to that comment and asked him if he was inviting me outside. (I would never have taken him outside of course). His eyes widened as he realized the stupidity of his actions and then apologized. I am still shocked that anyone, much less an older person from a generation of hat wearers should have felt it necessary to comment on my hat.

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Atomic Glee said:
I swear, people in Dallas (where I'm doing some IT contract work) just don't "get" some of this stuff, not like the people back home in Fort Worth do (or they might well not get it either, but manners prevents them from speaking out). Just the other day, I was getting on the elevator, and was wearing some Bill's khakis, a nice white dress shirt, vintage tie, Peterman linen jacket, and a Panama (true, not what your normal IT guy wears, but then I'm not your normal IT guy), and this woman getting on the elevator with me laughed and said "look at that, you're wearing a zoot suit!" I was a bit confused, and got a look of puzzlement on my face and just asked "zoot suit?" She replied, "yeah, you've even got your gangsta hat on!"

So, Panamas are "gangsta hats" now. Good to know. And apparently, a brown & cream striped linen sport coat and khakis is a "zoot suit."

I simply ignored the comments and rode down. I wonder what she'd have said if I'd chosen my boater that day?

Then again, Dallas elevator encounters and I don't get along in general. I can't even count how many times I'll be about to step out of an elevator when somebody is coming in to it. Back home, the other person invariably gets out of the way and lets me off. Here, they just about shove me out of the way to get on before I can get off. Gah!

True, true of Dallas. I've gotten nothing but compliments so far (some of whom have no idea that my suit is in it's 60's and looks great for it's age), but when I mention my interest in vintage wear and lifestyle, it is always "zoot suits" and "gangsters". Glad you didn't get the "pimp" thing, at least.

I've never even seen a zoot suit first hand, if memory serves. I'm actually not as fond of them as I am of my own suits, and would probably never pay for one.

It's interesting how movies that stick in the memories of our fellow citizens affect their whole view of certain eras, despite the fact that in the early 20th century, about .0001% of the population who wore this clothing were gangsters.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
ValleyBoy said:
Oddly enough the dumbest comment has come from a 67 year old, hatless wonder. As I walked into a local gun shop the older man looked at me and began to laugh. Apparantly the driving cap (similar to the one in my avatar) was ammusing to him. He then said to me "You mother sent you to Cox's for a sear-sucker hat, and instead you went to Sears for Co*$-sucker's hat"! I very politely informed the elderly man that because I had never met him that I took offense to that comment and asked him if he was inviting me outside. (I would never have taken him outside of course). His eyes widened as he realized the stupidity of his actions and then apologized. I am still shocked that anyone, much less an older person from a generation of hat wearers should have felt it necessary to comment on my hat.
It just goes to show no matter what your age if you were brought up bad, it sticks with you. Good comeback by the way!:eusa_clap

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
The Outlaw Kyle said:
Another time, I had a co-worker tell me he didn't like history, because all the girls back then (I'm not making this up folks) "all the girls were fat". What do you say to that? It reminded me of a Simpsons episode where Homer invites Apu Nahasapeemapetilon the Quickie Mart owner to a civil war reenactment because "We always need some more Indians to shoot". Where do you start?
lol lol lol Good lord, that made my morning reading that! Comments like that really can be scary sometimes, too.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
Harry Pierpont said:
I haven't had any stupid comments yet, while dressed 30's, but when I do 1880's and travelled in character I've been asked if I'm Amish. Also back when I did Civil War reenacting, and most other reenactors have probably heard it also, the comments of "where's the British?" or "where's the indians?" But the most stupid comment that I heard was at a battle reenactment when I was in the crowd watching when a child asked his dad why the soldiers had inner tubes around them? (your black rubber coated poncho kept wrapped around your blanket roll with the ends tied together and slung around your shoulder),the dad answered saying....so when they fall down they don't get hurt. Honest!

That's funny! I hear parents tell their kids a lot of things that are really weird and wrong, I guess just so they don't ever appear to not know something. My favorite? The guy at the Griffith Park Observatory who was "explaining" the Foucault Pendulum to his kid..."Each day, it moves over one number, so you can tell what day of the month it is!" Um...except it's numbered 0 to 47. And it was on 17, but that day it was the 15th.
!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy