Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaBruno

Suspended
The other day my friend, who's my Dad away from dad, started to make fun of my hat. He's a known bully and cut down artist, anyway. He says, "Look Mark's wearing a hat" ...and started to laugh. I said, "It's my Daddy's hat." Right away, my father having passed away 20 years ago, the conversation took a turn. This guy then says, "That's a real fur felt hat, isn't it." I say,"Yup Stetson Open Road 3X Beaver."

He say's, "Nice Hat." :cool:

BRUNO

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
That is good news!:eusa_clap
Thanks it was a rough Feb and March, I was canned on Jan 30, with an part time TV production job for income (well other than unenjoyment) and the wife just getting done with her student teaching.
But that is over and good things are on the way.
Later

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Paratrooper said:
I like to think the way that I was dressed and handled myself in the the interviews.
So I'm gainfully employied ---yeah!

Good on ya!

I wore a suit to my first interview for the job I'm in now a few weeks ago. During the interview one of the women told me that the dress was pretty casual there, that it used to be business dress, then they started with casual Fridays, then it became casual all the time unless something special is going on. She said I wouldn't have to "dress like that" indicating my suit, then quickly added "but you look very nice." I wore a suit to the second interview as well, with my future boss and the company CFO. He was wearing an open collar button-down shirt and trousers, though I've since noticed he usually wears jeans and a polo shirt.

I've come in every day wearing what I would call business casual, i.e., a sport coat, dress shirt, tie, braces, good trousers, dress shoes, and, of course, topped by a hat. :D

Why do I do it? Because I decided that I was tired of wearing sloppy clothes to work (I think the BDU is a sloppy-looking uniform no matter what you do with it) and vowed to dress nicely when I started working in the civilian world. I also don't want to look like the stereotype IT geek, either. I've found that I really do enjoy looking good when I leave the house in the morning.

I don't know if my example will lead to improvements of dress around here, but I don't really care. So far the only comment I've received on my attire was that I look like a banker.

Cheers,
Tom

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Tango Yankee said:
Good on ya!

I've come in every day wearing what I would call business casual, i.e., a sport coat, dress shirt, tie, braces, good trousers, dress shoes, and, of course, topped by a hat. :D

Why do I do it? Because I decided that I was tired of wearing sloppy clothes to work (I think the BDU is a sloppy-looking uniform no matter what you do with it) and vowed to dress nicely when I started working in the civilian world. I also don't want to look like the stereotype IT geek, either. I've found that I really do enjoy looking good when I leave the house in the morning.

I
Cheers,
Tom

Very nice.
My former job changed from business casual to casual and I was wearing jeans and smeakers to the office every day. After a while I just felt sloppy and underdressed so I changed back to kakis and sport shirts, sport coats, and I felt much better about myself.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
I must admit, in the software biz, I tended to dress much like most of the other developers - sneakers, jeans, and t-shirt. The main comment on my dress was that I had a large and interesting collection of t-shirts.

I've been slowly upgrading, but still not at the suit level yet. [huh]

ValleyBoy

Familiar Face
Tango Yankee said:

I don't know if my example will lead to improvements of dress around here, but I don't really care. So far the only comment I've received on my attire was that I look like a banker.

Cheers,
Tom

Way to go. I believe that professional dress should be every proffessional's standard. It is the concept that one respects one's efforts, sacrifices and achievments in their chosen profession. It is a reflection of one's self regard.

Mindraker

Familiar Face
Walking back from a city council meeting, I was wearing a black coat, black pants, black shoes, a black fedora, a blue shirt (and I forget the color tie I was wearing).
A man came up to me, and said, "Shalom!" lol

Mindraker said:
Walking back from a city council meeting, I was wearing a black coat, black pants, black shoes, a black fedora, a blue shirt (and I forget the color tie I was wearing).

In those instances, you say the same thing back and take it as a compliment. Like Rabbi Daniel Lapin says: "Everyone needs a rabbi." :D ;)

Regards,

J

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ValleyBoy said:
Way to go. I believe that professional dress should be every proffessional's standard. It is the concept that one respects one's efforts, sacrifices and achievments in their chosen profession. It is a reflection of one's self regard.

I fully agree ValleyBoy. Cheers. And it is also a display of respect to the persons around you.

Doran said:
And it is also a display of respect to the persons around you.

Probably one of the best points. If someone invites me to their home for dinner or to go out to dinner, then they can expect to see me in respectable clothing so they don't feel like I cam in dressed for yardwork. :D
Last weekend such a thing happened. I came dressed in my black 1938 three piece. The host said I looked "like a banker." Better a banker than a pimp or a hobo. :p

Regards,

J

Mindraker

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
In those instances, you say the same thing back and take it as a compliment. Like Rabbi Daniel Lapin says: "Everyone needs a rabbi." :D ;)

Regards,

J

:) by the time we straightened the confusion out that I wasn't actually Jewish, his wife had already gotten in the car and was laying on the horn, wanting to go home.

DOUGLAS

I was walking down the street wearing my Hoosier and I hear "Give me the money, gimmi some money you pimp". As I walked to the corner I see a man panhandling looking at calling me a pimp. " You got the hat ...pimp gimmi some you pimp." I heard this for an entire block. I have been called many wonderful things in my time but never a pimp.

DOUGLAS said:
I was walking down the street wearing my Hoosier and I hear "Give me the money, gimmi some money you pimp". As I walked to the corner I see a man panhandling looking at calling me a pimp. " You got the hat ...pimp gimmi some you pimp." I heard this for an entire block. I have been called many wonderful things in my time but never a pimp.

This one is a softball. ;)
"Look man, if I am a pimp then you know the only way you are going to get any money out of me and just looking at you tells me that you have no ability to earn anything for me. Stick to begging it has lower standards." :p

Regards to all,

J

DOUGLAS

Cute;) I have lived here all my life and I truely believe that it has become one of the safest cities anywhere. With that said I trust no one and when confronting someone who may not have any thing to loose it is better at times to just keep walking. For all I know he may have been offering me some street credability. Shouting at me does nothing to me until they have broken the three foot personal space boundary. Most street guys I have seen here respect this rule. Even they know that you never know what someone has in their pocket.

DOUGLAS said:
Cute;) I have lived here all my life and I truely believe that it has become one of the safest cities anywhere. With that said I trust no one and when confronting someone who may not have any thing to loose it is better at times to just keep walking. For all I know he may have been offering me some street credability. Shouting at me does nothing to me until they have broken the three foot personal space boundary. Most street guys I have seen here respect this rule. Even they know that you never know what someone has in their pocket.

Maybe you are right but I am easily goaded. I must appear pretty mean too because no one ever challenges by retorts. You don't wanna mess with Tony Soprano. :p

Regards,

J

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
At the end of the play, the actors / actresses at the Glendale Center Theatre are taught to position themselves between the audience and the exit, forming a gauntlet that must be escaped.

It was a rainy night and I was wearing an A-2 and brown fedora with a 2.75inch brim. As we passed one of the minor actresses I heard her say, under her breath but carefully loud enough for me to hear, "Look at him. He thinks he's Indiana Jones!". That was so dumb. Everybody knows that Indy bought his jackets from Wested.

Hondo

One Too Many
Mindraker said:

You could also say "Salami" to you lol

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
Gary Crumrine said:
At the end of the play, the actors / actresses at the Glendale Center Theatre are taught to position themselves between the audience and the exit, forming a gauntlet that must be escaped.

It was a rainy night and I was wearing an A-2 and brown fedora with a 2.75inch brim. As we passed one of the minor actresses I heard her say, under her breath but carefully loud enough for me to hear, "Look at him. He thinks he's Indiana Jones!". That was so dumb. Everybody knows that Indy bought his jackets from Wested.

sometimes i would just smile and say nothing...sometimes say "Thank You"....but this could have been good....."Look at you...You think you are an actress."

ouch.....

mark the shoeshine boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy