Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jamespowers said:
You are kidding right? I never saw the hat in all the episodes I have seen. Man I must be looking in the wrong places. It was actually funny because I told him Columbo didn't wear a hat and the people around me agreed. :p :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J
Well, Mr. Powers ( ;) ) I may be insane, but I distinctly remember that little ruffled fedora.

This is the only photo I could find.

magneto

Practically Family
I had a middle-aged fellow on the train telling me in detail how my skirt and stockings reminded him of childhood sitting on grandmother's lap; when he saw my footwear he exclaimed, "Oh, you got the old lady shoes on too!" As a whole too creepy to be flattering lol

jml90

One of the Regulars
I was once wearing my hat while eating a delicious pastry and my father called me "Indiana Scones". True story.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Absolutely. Wouldn't you be surprised (if not confused) by the sight of someone wearing a pair of spats in public? Or an inverness cape? Or a monocle?

Spats?
Nah. Most people honestly have no idea they aren't a part of the shoe itself. They think I'm wearing two-tone shoes like spectators, but with an unusual construction. They're usually described as "fly" "sweet" and "wild". A lot of compliments.
Those few who actually do know they are spats tend to grin and nod, or point at my feet from a distance and offer a positive hand gesture. Sometimes they can be rather forward about it. They walk right up and say something like "You're wearing spats! There's hope for humanity!" or "Please tell me where you got those!"
I suppose if you know spats when you see them, you know a little about clothing history.
Frankly, most folks don't look down. Those that do see a shoe with two shades to it. No big deal.
Hats (and for that matter, monocles) are eye level and in your face visually. Hats especially can be seen in a crowd at a football stadium.
Big difference.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The silliest comment I ever got while dressed vintage was actually from my mom. Just the other day she told me that, although the style is flattering, I look funny when I dress vintage. She said she didn't understand why I don't dress in style. My mom, the trendy Grandmother! She wears big flowery print Lily Pulitzer pants or skirts, and she says I look funny in an elegant day dress with my hair all done up!! It's funny too, becuase although I'd like to, I don't always dress vintage. Often, when I go to visit her my nearly 2 year old nephew Isaac is around. I don't want one of my vintage dresses to succomb to his recent discovery of the fun brought on by food flying across the room. So, usually when I see her I'm wearing a pretty summer dress or skirt with a blouse from JCrew or Anthropologie. The last time I checked JCrew and Anthropologie made pretty and stylish clothing. Oh well, I guess there are worse things than looking "funny". It just hurts a little more than it normally would because of who the comment came from. Did I mention the lily pulitzer pants??? To me, that's funnier.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
for the newer members

I've mentioned this before but when leaving while wearing my black fedora, black vest and trousers and overcoatwork a customer said I look like I should be holding a big silver gun.:confused: When I asked what he was talking about he said "I look like one of "The Men in Black".
I've gotten gangster, detective, Inspector Gadget when I dress like that I understand the comments as annoying as it is. The MIB don't wear hats or overcoats and I wasn't wearing dark glasses.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Doh!

One Too Many
I don't own an umbrella, so when it rains pretty good I wear my Jaxon Iconoclast and a genuine (Czech) army trenchcoat. Last New Year's, I had on said attire and my friend's wife called me Sherlock Holmes. Dick Tracy I could understand, but Holmes?

In all fairness, she's Japanese and her command of English is still very rough... but, come on -- Holmes??

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I get that regularly for my inverness cape in rain, even though it's a plain black fabric, not a Harris Tweed pattern, and I don't wear a deerstalker hat, a giant magnifying glass or a voluminous calabash pipe. I'm not accompanied by a dumb and indignant looking overweight chap with a moustache either.

Usually - because it's raining - I even have the hood over my head and cap. The only thing that's left from the clich?© is the tippet and, if you look closely, that there are no sleeves. Still, no way to escape the comments.

Barry

Practically Family
"Hey! John Gotti!" (two homeless guys started shouting "JOHN GOTTI" at me). I was stuck in traffic in a cab and it caused quite a scene.

Barry

hatflick1

Practically Family
Wearing a fedora locally, I once got "Guy looks like 'Little House On The Prairie.'" Not even a character...the entire show!
What makes comments open season if you wear anything other than a baseball cap backwards? On balance, I have received more compliments and inquiries than unsolicited idiocies.

Feraud

Bartender
Who can claim to leaving people speechless? I can!!
While coming home from work one evening I passed two homeless men sitting in front of a supermarket. As I walked by one guy was attempting to give me a compliement on my hat. He had a big smile on his face and stammered out, "Hey man..that..oh...yeah!" :D
What can I say, I have that effect on people.. lol

docholliday55

Familiar Face
I was getting coffee at a convenience store on my way to work wearing my Dobbs straw fedora and an Orvis travel vest when some holler romper walks up and asks "Who are you supposed to be one of the Dundee boys? My reply "Excuse me what would that be to you"? He backed off and I just laughed ay him.
doc

Feraud

Bartender
docholliday55 said:
I was getting coffee at a convenience store on my way to work wearing my Dobbs straw fedora and an Orvis travel vest when some holler romper walks up and asks "Who are you supposed to be one of the Dundee boys? My reply "Excuse me what would that be to you"? He backed off and I just laughed ay him.
doc
That's the way to handle 'em. With both guns blazing.:)

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
The silliest comment I ever got while dressed vintage was actually from my mom. Just the other day she told me that, although the style is flattering, I look funny when I dress vintage.

My mother is the same way. I would think she wasn't feeling well if she didn't make a crack. She's the only one that doesn't get a smartass reply. lol

Dick Tracy

New in Town
When I was with the PD I got Dick Tracy from the guys all the time. I wore the suit, fedora, and had a cigar clamped between teeth. Seldom, I heard Inspector Gadget and once, I was asked if I was a mennonite. But what I always got, aside from gawking eyes, was the question "What's with the hat?".

"What's with the question?" I would ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner