Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I keep getting called Crocodile Dundee when I wear my brown Akubra Federation and Indiana Jones when I wear my Black Akubra Downunder...... ? But when I wear my black horn-rimmed glasses it all gets superseded with Buddy Holly. Smile and wave. Just smile and wave.
Johnny

havershaw

Practically Family
To be fair, 95% of the time, I get positive feedback on my attire. And even that other 5% is more cheesy commentary than negative per se.

czack

One of the Regulars
"Do you dress like that to piss people off?"

This was asked of me not too long ago. Anyway, I was wearing a hawaiian shirt, porkpie, and khakis. Of course I asked if how my manner of dress would offend someone. If I was wearing a tasteless T-shirt maybe I would have understood.

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Nobody has actually said anything negative to me when I was wearing a hat. Some people stare and some smile. A few weeks ago my Grandson told me that I looked like Superman while I was wearing my Stylemaster. I told him that Superman doesn't wear a hat and he said "Yes he does and glasses just like you, when he is Clark Kent".

J.S.Udontknowme said:
Nobody has actually said anything negative to me when I was wearing a hat. Some people stare and some smile. A few weeks ago my Grandson told me that I looked like Superman while I was wearing my Stylemaster. I told him that Superman doesn't wear a hat and he said "Yes he does and glasses just like you, when he is Clark Kent".

Yep, you look like Clark Kent then. :D ;)

Regards,

J

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
::Calling upstairs to the manor::

Alfred, on the Fedora Lounge board... See that Kent fella?
Uh-huh, looks a little familiar to me, too.

I'll be taking the plane tonight.

Doh!

One Too Many
hatflick1 said:
Wearing a fedora locally, I once got "Guy looks like 'Little House On The Prairie.'" Not even a character...the entire show!

Years ago, I was riding the bus and at one of the bus stops was a chubby kid wearing a baseball cap. Somebody in the seat behind me saw him and exclaimed to his friend, "That kid looks like Leave It to Beaver!"

Really? The entire show? Geez, he isn't THAT chubby, I thought.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Okay just got back from dinner and coffee. While in the coffe shop the guy taking my order compliments me on my hat. I was wearing a medium brown fedora. Not the one in my pic. which is a little Indy-ish. We're chatting and the other guy behind the counter starts humming the "Raiders" theme. We all laugh and I say, "Oh that's original. Never heard that one before." We continue to laugh, point made.

My wife said I was rude to him.

She's one of those great people who feel that just because someone is an @$$ to you that you dont have to stoop to their level.

She's right, but I couldnt help myself.

matei

One Too Many
Oooh - the King of Pop? That would be a new one to add to the list.

I've been called Sherlock Holmes (?), Crocodile Dundee, Indy, gangster/Al Capone and even a cowboy - but no MJ comments yet.

funneman

Practically Family
Dumbest Comment...

I heard a pretty good one about an hour ago.

I'm wearing a black and white Guyabera type shirt with Wranglers, Two-tone black and white slip-ons and a gray Royal Stetson.

A guy says to me, "..are you from New York?"

I say "Why, do I sound like it?"

And he says, "No, it's your outfit. You don't see too many people dressed like that down here (South Florida)." "You look good."

Reminded me of Rodney "Hey how'd you get that hat? Free with a bowl of soup? No offense, it looks good on you!"

funneman said:
I heard a pretty good one about an hour ago.

I'm wearing a black and white Guyabera type shirt with Wranglers, Two-tone black and white slip-ons and a gray Royal Stetson.

A guy says to me, "..are you from New York?"

I say "Why, do I sound like it?"

And he says, "No, it's your outfit. You don't see too many people dressed like that down here (South Florida)." "You look good."

Reminded me of Rodney "Hey how'd you get that hat? Free with a bowl of soup? No offense, it looks good on you!"

You weren't dressed like Ted Knight were you? :p
I can sort of understand that one since some New Yorkers go to Florida in the cold season but this sure isn't it. :eusa_doh: Let's use my new word. What a Chauncey! :p

Regards,

J

Boroparkpyro

New in Town
Joel Tunnah said:
Actually, it sounds like she was a jew, and she was asking you if you are a "religious" (ie. orthodox) jew. What direction the conversation would've taken from there, I have no idea (my wife's reformed) - but there's nothing "crazy" about it.

Joel

Heyall, i think i'll introduce myself here...
I have a hat. It looks like the picture of me over on the side of the screen. I have another hat, which looks like this:
FL-blue.jpg
or this:
FL-no_tie.jpg

I'm not actually a vintage-lover. I just relatively recently got into hats, at least straw hats during the summer. I got the tropical touristy looking shantung one three years ago, when i headed off to grad school in a warm and sunny climate for two years. I got the more stark, formal looking panama one this summer.

I am also an Orthodox Jew, which makes hat-wearing somewhat complicated. I'm what's called Modern Orthodox, while it's the Ultra Orthodox people who are known for their black fedoras. So i needed to find a formal hat that wouldn't make any ideological or sociological statements that i don't intend on making. I think this one works; out of the small percentage of "Black Hat" people who switch to wearing straw hats during the summer, only a very small percentage wear light-colored straw; and those that do have it usually very bright white, not as brownish/natural colored like this hat. They also have it in more of a fedora-shaped crown, not this teardrop-shaped kind (if i'm misusing terminology, please correct me! i'm new at this):
teardrop.jpg

I have gotten comments about Indiana Jones, although those are ironic since my friend who got me into hats, his last name is also Jones (first name isn't Indiana, though).
I've gotten a few of the "religious assumptions" comments, some of which made no sense, though. For instance, no Ultra-Orthodox "Black Hat" man would be caught dead wearing a white paper-straw thing with a bright blue tropical-patterned band around it.
My brother, though, when i bought my first hat and went to catch a ride with him, refused to let me in wearing the hat, since "only people who are 6 feet tall or more look good in hats". (this was a reference to our hat-wearing friend Jones)

I've also started dressing more formally recently... jackets, ties, etc. Not quite vintage, and not necessarily retro or oldschool either, but hey, it seems to be related to what you-all talk about here.

Anyway, that's me, nice to meet y'all.
(yes i say "y'all" even though i'm from NYC)

And now off to comment on some other threads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav