Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it helps, Edward, I immediately thought Brynner. Do we have a picture with the hat on?

W10.jpg

Flieger

Practically Family
Sweet jacket/coat in that last picture, Edward!

I wouldn't mind seeing more photos of that one. In the "Jackets" section, of course. :)

/F

Edward

Bartender
Flieger said:
Sweet jacket/coat in that last picture, Edward!

I wouldn't mind seeing more photos of that one. In the "Jackets" section, of course. :)

/F

Thanks!

I'll see if i can dig some out (or get some taken) and fire it up in the jacket forum at some point. :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Edward..or should I say...Mr Brenner!!

That first cowboy shot, you do look like 'THE MAN' from West World.
Grand picture. And (in my finest Ulster accent)..."tell yon 'wee girl' to go darn those stackins and make hersell repactable!":)

Edward

Bartender
PADDY said:
That first cowboy shot, you do look like 'THE MAN' from West World.
Grand picture.

Thanks! Funnily enough, the Westworld still the Senator posted is one of several shots I downloaded from the web before I went out and bought the bits for the costume. Had intended to switch the buttons on the shirt for black on the train on the way to Birmingham, but then I found a new Colin Bateman novel in WH Smiths at Euston, so that went out the window! Note the obvious mistake on the shirt - it's got two right arms!! but hey, it was a quid on the market, and I've been meaning to turn it into a short sleeve forever.... did the job on the night! I cheated some with the hat, but I figured the full on Cowboy hat I'd never wear again. This one, however, has had plenty of wear in the last year!

And (in my finest Ulster accent)..."tell yon 'wee girl' to go darn those stackins and make hersell repactable!":)

lol lol lol It's been years since Leanne was active on the Rocky Horror scene, but..... well, somehow the vibe of ripped fishnets never quite leaves you... ;)

hargist

One of the Regulars
I just got one

I took a walk today to take a break from the office. I was wearing a black pinstripe suit and a light gray Beaver Brand fedora. I passed this older guy (must have been early 70's) who pointed at me and said, "Old school gangster hat."

It was so sudden and unexpected that all I could do was chuckle.

It's not that someone referred to my hat as a "gangster hat" that surprised me. I've gotten that before. But normally it comes from younger people whom I assume don't know it's called a fedora. Surely this guy lived in a time where most men wore hats. If he didn't wear one himself, I'm sure his father did. Did he refer to them as "gangster hats" back then?

And the fact that he added "old school" in there was the icing on the cake. Simply bizarre.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's the shock that gets you, isn't it, Hargist? Otherwise that fellow was leaving himself wide open for a "If I'm old school, what the hell does that make you, Gramps?" lol

Some people say, "Whatever happened to manners?", but there have always been people lacking in simple courtesy and decorum, as this character's example clearly illustrates.

Starius

Practically Family
You know, just today my own mother said (regarding me and my panama hat) that "Cops are going to think you're a drug dealer with that."

Which, of course, makes no sense. But how do you respond to the "fashionably uninformed" (and I say that jokingly because I wouldn't call myself fashionable) when they're a loved one? I don't just want a snappy comeback in those situations... I'd genuinely want them to understand.

And aside from that, how do we reclaim the iconic 'vintage hat look' from such a horrible stereotype in the eyes of modern culture?

Edward

Bartender
Starius said:
And aside from that, how do we reclaim the iconic 'vintage hat look' from such a horrible stereotype in the eyes of modern culture?

By wearing them as often as possible. Reclaim the hats! I hear this about a lot of things (from the Union Flag, to the Confederate Flag, even the Swastika!); sometimes you can do it, sometimes not - some things are so besmirched that reclaiming can't work. But hats, well - all it needs are enough decent people.... And while I'm sure we'll all be sick to the back teeth in a few months' time of the "Hey, Indy!" line, a revival of the Indiana Jones franchise with the fourth film can only be a good thing as it will mean once more a very identifiable hero in a hat, establishing hats on the right side. I doubt Henry Jones Jnr will have lost any of his appeal for kids today, bearing in mind that he always was the rough and ready type, not the naff goody-goody hero mould.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure why but I've not received a dumba$$ comment in quite a while. A lot of compliments actually...and almost always from a lady. My Panama is hands down the most popular. I just had an older gentleman stop me yesterday and quiz me about it, wanting to know where I bought it. He was a bit dissappointed at the news thinking maybe he could just run downtown and pick one up. Not in Mid-Missouri...sorry.[huh]

Kevin

hargist said:
I took a walk today to take a break from the office. I was wearing a black pinstripe suit and a light gray Beaver Brand fedora. I passed this older guy (must have been early 70's) who pointed at me and said, "Old school gangster hat."

It was so sudden and unexpected that all I could do was chuckle.

It's not that someone referred to my hat as a "gangster hat" that surprised me. I've gotten that before. But normally it comes from younger people whom I assume don't know it's called a fedora. Surely this guy lived in a time where most men wore hats. If he didn't wear one himself, I'm sure his father did. Did he refer to them as "gangster hats" back then?

And the fact that he added "old school" in there was the icing on the cake. Simply bizarre.

I think you met up with an old hippie there. :eusa_doh:
Response: "Hey dude. You still getting that medical marijuana for your "medical condition.":rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Interestingly, I went to the grocery store yesterday--now there is a rare occurence. The cashier was all over me about my hat calling me brother man and the like. He wanted my hat. It was my panama that I had Art customize.
My response. "No way man. I don't wanna have to send to Equador for a new one and then wait. Its too cool as it is and you don't have enough money to make me part with it." ;) :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Edward: better two right arms than two left feet.
I don't know if this is a dumb comment, but while I was on vacation my new neighbors across the street, who I had nodded hello to, but had not met, started referring to me as Panama Jack, because I was wearing my dearly beloved but rather beat up Montecristi (soon to be seen in the major motion picture "On the Hook", featuring Frank Langella, with me visible underneath I sincerely hope. Oops. Sorry for the shameless self promotion) and a different Hawaiian shirt every day. I subsequently learned that Panama Jack is a brand of sunglasses. I also subsequently learned that my new neighbor is the neice of our old Methodist minister when I was a kid. Nice nice man. Nice neice, too. So now we're friends and she calls me by my real name.

hargist

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I think you met up with an old hippie there. :eusa_doh:
Response: "Hey dude. You still getting that medical marijuana for your "medical condition.":rolleyes:

Regards,

J

I should state that apart from the "old school gangster hat" comment from the old man, I got three positive comments that day.

Still, I think Benny is right in that many people simply lack courtesy and decorum. It's like when I'm called "pimp" whenever I'm dressed nicely. Yes, I realize that it is meant as a compliment, but it's difficult for me to take it that way. To me a pimp is still someone who is an exploiter of women, and in this topsy-turvy pop culture world, the word has somehow transformed from a negative connotation to a positive one.

Besides, I think calling a well dressed man a pimp is simply inaccurate. There is a huge difference between a man in a suit and fedora and this guy.

pimp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy