Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
hargist said:
Besides, I think calling a well dressed man a pimp is simply inaccurate. There is a huge difference between a man in a suit and fedora and this guy.

pimp.jpg

lol lol lol lol lol

silvershadow

New in Town
strange comments

I was once at a fancy dress party wearing my normal attire - 3 piece suit and hat and I won the prize for best dressed (fancy dress). So when I went up to take the prize I thanked everyone and confused them by saying "I appreciate the prize but you realize this is how I dress everyday". You could have heard a pin drop as I walked away! :eusa_clap

hargist

One of the Regulars
silvershadow said:
I was once at a fancy dress party wearing my normal attire - 3 piece suit and hat and I won the prize for best dressed (fancy dress). So when I went up to take the prize I thanked everyone and confused them by saying "I appreciate the prize but you realize this is how I dress everyday". You could have heard a pin drop as I walked away! :eusa_clap

That's hilarious! And what's amazing is that the same thing happened to me this past Monday. I attended a fundraiser for Operation Gratitude, an organization that sends care packages to our troops. They had swing dancing, a silent auction, and a costume contest. I wore this suit, which I wear to the office.

valentino.bmp

I was runner up. The winner was a woman who looked absolutely stunning. But like you, silvershadow, I felt strange being up there at all because it's not a costume.

I guess that's a testament to how casual things are these days. A nice suit can be considered a costume!

hargist

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I always thought the t shirt, shorts and sandals so frequently seen now were a costume. [huh] They want to stay little kids forever I guess.

Regards,

J

You might have something there. That would explain the wrinkled look you see in stores lately, like The Gap. Little kids don't like to iron.

aliados

One of the Regulars
This week, I heard a woman bellow, "Humphrey Bogart!" as I walked down the street in my green Stetson Whippet. Personally, I do not think that I look at all like Bogey, nor do my hats have any resemblance to those which he commonly wore; our taste in hats clearly differs. So, I passed her by without acknowledgment.

Maybe had she yelled, "William Powell!," "Adolph Menjou!," or even, "Bud Abbott!," I'd've tossed a quarter into her paper cup . . .

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
I've gotten a few interesting reactions, I'd say a comment every other time I wear a fedora in public. I only relatively recently was able to acquire some suitable headgear, and I don't often get a chance to wear them in public. I've had old ladies tell me how nice I look in a hat, and how it's nice to see a young man who dresses decently (I usually wear a sport coat, trousers, oxfords, and a fedora in public.) I had a cashier in Wal-Mart ask me if I was on a debate team, as I looked too young to be a banker, which I took to be a compliment. Lots of people ask me why I'm "dressed up?" and seem pretty surprised when I tell them that this is my normal manner of dress. Had a teenage girl in the typical (un-)dress of that group yell out that "your hat looks sharp!" the other day. I was in an airport in a black fedora and a group of European Jews (they were speaking French amongst themselves) passed by -one of them called out "Shalom" in my direction.

Doh!

One Too Many
aliados said:
This week, I heard a woman bellow, "Humphrey Bogart!" as I walked down the street in my green Stetson Whippet. Personally, I do not think that I look at all like Bogey, nor do my hats have any resemblance to those which he commonly wore; our taste in hats clearly differs. So, I passed her by without acknowledgment.

Maybe had she yelled, "William Powell!," "Adolph Menjou!," or even, "Bud Abbott!," I'd've tossed a quarter into her paper cup . . .

Sometimes, the best response is no response at all. Hopefully, she felt pretty foolish after you walked past.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
hargist said:
Still, I think Benny is right in that many people simply lack courtesy and decorum. It's like when I'm called "pimp" whenever I'm dressed nicely. Yes, I realize that it is meant as a compliment, but it's difficult for me to take it that way. To me a pimp is still someone who is an exploiter of women, and in this topsy-turvy pop culture world, the word has somehow transformed from a negative connotation to a positive one.

I can think of another example in which this has happened. It seems that so many young women these days do not mind when their boyfriends call them a "female dog". Some women almost take that as a complement, whereas I'm off to the side with big eyes thinking "he did NOT just say that!"

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
ScionPI2005 said:
I can think of another example in which this has happened. It seems that so many young women these days do not mind when their boyfriends call them a "female dog". Some women almost take that as a complement, whereas I'm off to the side with big eyes thinking "he did NOT just say that!"

Getting started on that one is going to create a runaway thread. There is a girl who lives in my area who tries to proudly display that moniker ... a GIANT graphic in the back window or her car says "BEE" and "OTCH" with a picture of a "bee" in the middle of the two words.
Unfortunately, her "bee" picture is actually the G. Tech mascot yellow jacket, not a bee. Who can tell the difference between a bee and a yellow jacket? EVERYONE when it is a famous school mascot!!! Even my wife who knows nothing about college sports said "That's not a bee, is it?" All it really accomplishes is to make this poor girl look stupid and trashy.

Doh!

One Too Many
A few years ago, I was in line at Universal Studios and this young couple (teens? early 20s?) was behind me. The girl was an absolute drop-dead beauty.

Her date was wearing a T-shirt that read, "Shut Up Stupid B..." (only it didn't stop there). This raises a few questions:

1. What made him think it was OK to wear that in public?
  2. What made him think it was OK to wear that in the presence of his date?
  3. What the devil made her want to be with him?

Ah... youth.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Yesterday at the mall, wearing my penney's marathon OR clone. A gang of Asian men with shaved heads and porcupine spikes walks past me and the nearest calls out "Hey Cowboy!".

Naturally I completely ignored him. A comment like that isn't even worth my time.

I think he probably got the picture and felt he looked like a jackass after saying something like that...of course, he already looked like a jackass being as everyone in the entire mall could see what color boxers he was wearing.

As stated earlier, sometimes no response can have the greatest effect.

The way I like to look at it is this: if I put on a hat in the morning, it's usually a dressy fedora. That's all. So if someone shouts out, "hey cowboy", why would there be any reason for me to assume that it was directed at me? I'm not trying to look like a cowboy, so why would I respond to a cowboy comment? People need to think more clearly if they want my attention.

The same goes for Indy and Bogart and everything else. Why is it, that if we all like wearing hats, we have to be assosciated with something else? We can't just like hats?

It's the same prinicple as if I saw a woman wearing an overly-revealing top in public, and shouted out, "Hey, Britney!"

hargist

One of the Regulars
Not necessarily a dumb comment...

I just got a comment from a woman who works in my building. Not a dumb comment. It was actually quite nice. She stopped me near the entrance of my building as I was out getting my morning cup of Joe, and she asked me if I'm from Chicago. I was wearing a dark suit and a gray fedora. She told me that I always looks nice, so she was just wondering.

I thanked her and explained that I grew up in Indiana, but that I've been to Chicago several times. Having been to Chicago, I know that they don't wear fedoras there any more than they do in Los Angeles.

I wonder why she thought of Chicago? Do you think it's the gangster association?

hargist

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:
Why is it, that if we all like wearing hats, we have to be assosciated with something else? We can't just like hats?

Let's face it, wearing distinctive hats like a fedora in a non-hat wearing society, we stick out. And if you stick out, some people feel the need to taunt and tease. I don't know why. I guess it somehow makes them feel better. Usually an icy cold stare is the best way to handle a rude comment.

I wear a bow tie on occasion. It haven't received a rude comment about it yet. In fact, I usually get compliments. But I am prepared for the day that someone says something thoughtless. I'm simply going to laugh and say, "Heh, you'd never have the guts to wear one."

Aerol

A-List Customer
Chicago story

I got into my office elevator last week and a woman said "what a great hat! Are you going fishing?"

And then I realized: I was wearing an Akubra Safari hat, a Marmot waterproof jacket, and carrying my laptop in a Barbour rubberized canvas bag. (It had been raining that morning.)

She was right, I was dressed for a fishing trip.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
hargist said:
I'm simply going to laugh and say, "Heh, you'd never have the guts to wear one."

I'm still proud of my quick thinking when I fired back at a loudmouth: "I'd like to see YOU pull this off!"

Stony silence, complete indifference or no acknowledgment whatsoever is probably the best response in most situations.

...but I'm still waiting to use a blank look and "Who?" to various popular figures; Indiana Jones, Bogart, Untouchables, etc. "You know, *insert pop culture reference here* !" *shrug* "...sorry." I think it would drive home the point that I'm doing it for reasons purely my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot