Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovan

Suspended
Josephine said:
I wonder if something upset him so much he accidentally put it on backward, not knowing what he was doing (happened in an Agatha Christie novel :)
That can happen... they also say being in a negative mood when cooking doesn't make it as appetizing.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
mtechthang said:
So here's a recent one- I was walking across campus with an Indy type fedora and a trench coat on (it was snowing like crazy!). I was in a great mood and not even in a hurry. Someone walking in the other direction muttered, "Tries to look like Bogey, looks more like Barney Fife". :rage: :rage: I'd have made an unwise snappy comeback to that one but was stunned at the guy even making that reference (what channel is he watching that is running Andy Griffith- apparently I am clueless!!)
At least he was somewhat original! My co-worker was on his way out the door to go to the field to track some tortoises. He had on jeans, long sleeve t-shirt, carrying a Camelback and radio telemetry equipment, and, on top, his Akubra Riverina. And he still got the Indiana Jones comment!

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
Always Indiana

A buddy of mine wrote, telling me of constant comments regarding Indiana Jones whenever he wears any kind of fedora. He just got into wearing hats, and I don't want to see him chased away by stupid comments, so I wrote back to him:

Yep, I’ve experienced this myself on a number of occasions. Having had and worn hats for many years, I’ve noticed the comments are most prevalent during Indy fever; like when a new Indy movie is about to debut. People are incredibly dense, and do indeed see any fedora as an Indy hat. They just don’t pay attention; not even to details like the fact that Indy's hat isn’t black or gray or top-hat-shaped. Unfortunately, Indy’s influence will last most of our lifetimes and will continue to make idiots say, “Hey, nice Indiana Jones hat!” even if the wearer has something resembling a cowboy ten-gallon. We’ll never educate them. Case in point; some of the websites I visit where people are “dressed as Indy,” or merchants sell “official Indiana Jones hats,” have the widest array of hilariously non-Indy headwear I’ve ever seen. So with all the nonsense backing up their belief, it’s no surprise that these dopes see any non-baseball cap as an Indy.

This whole thing is yet another reason I am such a supporter of bringing back hat-wearing. People need to be able to distinguish between types of hats and their proper usage. Hats are genteel, hats are polite and respectful, and hats have a reason. Baseball caps, and the idiots that wear them, are meaningless. They’re not even worn anymore for their intended purpose, shading the eyes! People who wear them backward and couldn’t care less what logo is on them are morons!!! Why would you wear a hat that serves no purpose? No team-support, no sun-protection, no style. I’ll tell you why. People are stupid sheep and will wear the flat-brim, tag-on, backward ball caps because they’re afraid to not be like everyone else in their particular ghetto. Hats like ours are for people with a sense of style, not for those who follow fashion. That’s why I will always wear my hats. I’m glad you’re a ‘real’ hat man now as well.

Stoney

Practically Family
Slouch-Hat said:
People who wear them backward and couldn’t care less what logo is on them are morons!!! Why would you wear a hat that serves no purpose? No team-support, no sun-protection, no style. I’ll tell you why. People are stupid sheep and will wear the flat-brim, tag-on, backward ball caps because they’re afraid to not be like everyone else in their particular ghetto.

Come on Slouch-Hat. Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel. It's not like anyone would take offense.

lol lol lol

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
It's not even an Akubra...

Since I've moved to England, I've gotten more comments on my hat than ever. The hat I wear every day is the BSA wool felt fedora, nothing special, just a tough, robust hat with a somewhat longer brim than most wool felt hats.

And I keep getting yelled at from passers by, or people across the street even, about being from Australia (usually along with some perjorative or another). It's really quite annoying. But I'm not going to allow these types to make me stop wearing my hats, be they casual or dress.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick D said:
Since I've moved to England, I've gotten more comments on my hat than ever. The hat I wear every day is the BSA wool felt fedora, nothing special, just a tough, robust hat with a somewhat longer brim than most wool felt hats.

And I keep getting yelled at from passers by, or people across the street even, about being from Australia (usually along with some perjorative or another). It's really quite annoying. But I'm not going to allow these types to make me stop wearing my hats, be they casual or dress.
Nick, does that mean people in England mock others by accusing them of being from Australia?! Hmm. I'd take it as a compliment, myself, but then I have a great admiration for many things Australian. Is that equivalent to someone in the US calling a person a "hillbilly" or something akin?

citRon

A-List Customer
Slouch-Hat said:
People are stupid sheep and will wear the flat-brim, tag-on, backward ball caps because they’re afraid to not be like everyone else in their particular ghetto.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
:arated: OUTSTANDING!!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Slouch, v. nice and well-worded.

As for this:

bruce wayne said:
i was wearing a blue shirt, gray slacks, a black miller indy fedora today as well as a trench coat i bought at the mens wearhouse today & i recieved a trenchcoat mafia comment from a complete stranger...

I just don't understand why people say stupid things to strangers. Where I come from, we were taught not to antagonize strangers. You could get hit. Do you go up to a black man and say "What up, Shaft. Gimme five"? Never in a thousand years. People are just ridiculous. Has society gotten too safe? A little fear of the stranger makes things BETTER -- or at least makes interactions more dignified. Things are out of balance.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Comments like that can certianly be dangerous, but they're always rude. I think people feel the need to comment (i.e., deride) whenever they feel insecure. The more insecure the individual, the more likely they are to comment. Hence, the majority of the comments come from those folks named by Slouch-Hat, the ones that are afraid not to conform, no matter how little sense it makes for them to conform, e.g., a forty-year old man wearing a baseball cap backwards.

I was at an airport waiting for a flight, when a guy disembarked an arriving flight. He had on those Dickies shorts, Vans, tall white tube socks, a Vulcom shirt, ski cap, and carrying, of all things, a skateboard. He was 35 if he was a day. I did not comment.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Mojave Jack said:
Nick, does that mean people in England mock others by accusing them of being from Australia?! Hmm. I'd take it as a compliment, myself, but then I have a great admiration for many things Australian. Is that equivalent to someone in the US calling a person a "hillbilly" or something akin?

Not the English, no, just a few such as those already mentioned.

Dr Doran

Mojave Jack said:
I was at an airport waiting for a flight, when a guy disembarked an arriving flight. He had on those Dickies shorts, Vans, tall white tube socks, a Vulcom shirt, ski cap, and carrying, of all things, a skateboard. He was 35 if he was a day. I did not comment.

Go to Haight Street in SF. These people are in their late 40s, still "alternative," speaking in teen-talk, living for live rockandroll shows, living in crappy apartments, drinking beer at bars every single night, working in a record store or other retail job -- they never shave, they will never marry or have children, they are living a perpetual 17 year old zone. The story "Slouching Toward Bethlehem" by Joan Didion tells their story, although 30 years earlier.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick D said:
Not the English, no, just a few such as those already mentioned.
Glad to hear that! Just uneducated neaderthals making their usual comments. To me, Australia evokes an image of self-reliance; tough, no-nonsense type folks; and adventure, but I have heard of troubles between the Commonwealth troops because the Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, and other troops were viewed as "provincial." I'm not sure how widespread those views were (or are), but I'm sure Americans were (and are) categorized as such, too! lol

Doran said:
Go to Haight Street in SF. These people are in their late 40s, still "alternative," speaking in teen-talk, living for live rockandroll shows, living in crappy apartments, drinking beer at bars every single night, working in a record store or other retail job -- they never shave, they will never marry or have children, they are living a perpetual 17 year old zone. The story "Slouching Toward Bethlehem" by Joan Didion tells their story, although 30 years earlier.
I tried to warn my wife of that phenomenon when we visited SF this past summer. She wanted to see the area, though, so we walked from the Presidio to Haight-Ashbury. She was...unimpressed. But we did get a great Nutella and banana crepe, made by a girl with a lot of fishing tackle in her face and some pretty huge tattoos.

Didion's work sounds interesting. I like those sorts of cultural critiques. Thanks for the recommendation; I've added it to my Amazon wish list.

Dr Doran

Mojave Jack said:
Didion's work sounds interesting. I like those sorts of cultural critiques. Thanks for the recommendation; I've added it to my Amazon wish list.

It needs to be read by those uncritically adulatory of the Boomers in particular.

Doran said:

You are being too kind. Some of those hippies are 60 and over.
We'll at least they will never procreate. There's the silver lining. ;) :p
Then they will come up to you if you have a hat on and say "why are you trying to join the man instead of bucking the system man." :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Mojave Jack said:
Glad to hear that! Just uneducated neaderthals making their usual comments. To me, Australia evokes an image of self-reliance; tough, no-nonsense type folks; and adventure, but I have heard of troubles between the Commonwealth troops because the Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians, and other troops were viewed as "provincial." I'm not sure how widespread those views were (or are), but I'm sure Americans were (and are) categorized as such, too! lol

We are indeed. My father often told about how a comment by a British troop in Korea (how are the colonies?etc) nearly started a mini war between the British and American troops. Fortunately they wanted to go home more than they wanted to fight. The engineer of the train stopped that quick by starting to pull out. The troops ran to their respective transports rather than beating each other senseless. ;) :rolleyes:

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
It's nice to see that none of us are alone in this circumstance. Not even across the pond do people seem to understand that personal style is a thing to be admired, not derided. True, honest hippies and hillbillies can have their space, as far as I'm concerned, but lemmings do not impress me, so neither therefore do their comments on my attire or person. It's also nice to know that all of us here look at the hats, jackets and other accoutrements that we prize as things that add to the spice of life...no matter what our age or demographic.

Onward and upward, Fedora Lounge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters