Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
My, who is brilliant!

My spouse who is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met or known of. She's a PhD, tenured professor, test scores to prove it!!

Here's the set-up-
I'm driving the car to work. I, being the nice guy I try to be, drive her to the door of her building. I comment, "This morning when I woke up, I couldn't remember where I left my glasses. Being blind as a bat I was totally lost where to look" (you have to remember I just drove to work- here it comes)

Wife- Looks me squarely in the eyes (through my glasses!) and says: "Did you find them?":eusa_doh:

Kim Steiner

New in Town
For some reason, I don't draw sarcastic comments about my hats. Maybe it's because of where I live, or maybe it is because I'm "older" and may project a bit of so-called gravitas.

A small story . . . I have two Open Road-type hats, one a Stetson 100 and the other a VERY nice Rand's custom hat. They look almost identical, but only the Rand's draws compliments. It does have some undefinable element of quality that the other lacks, and I wear it most often. The other day, while waiting for an elevator with a small group of strangers, I thought I heard someone say "nice hat." The comment didn't seem to be directed at me, though, and I didn't look around. Moments later, on the elevator, I glanced at one of the other passengers, a pimply faced college student, and he repeated "nice hat."

It was not a sarcastic comment. Was he thinking "cool hat," or was he really thinking "nice hat"? There's a huge difference, of course. Although there was nothing in the young man's appearance to suggest fine taste, I prefer to think I had just encountered a young connoisseur. I smiled and thanked him. He helped make my day, and maybe I helped make his.

Kim

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Kim Steiner said:
For some reason, I don't draw sarcastic comments about my hats. Maybe it's because of where I live, or maybe it is because I'm "older" and may project a bit of so-called gravitas.

A small story . . . I have two Open Road-type hats, one a Stetson 100 and the other a VERY nice Rand's custom hat. They look almost identical, but only the Rand's draws compliments. It does have some undefinable element of quality that the other lacks, and I wear it most often. The other day, while waiting for an elevator with a small group of strangers, I thought I heard someone say "nice hat." The comment didn't seem to be directed at me, though, and I didn't look around. Moments later, on the elevator, I glanced at one of the other passengers, a pimply faced college student, and he repeated "nice hat."

It was not a sarcastic comment. Was he thinking "cool hat," or was he really thinking "nice hat"? There's a huge difference, of course. Although there was nothing in the young man's appearance to suggest fine taste, I prefer to think I had just encountered a young connoisseur. I smiled and thanked him. He helped make my day, and maybe I helped make his.

Kim

Living where I do, I never get a negative comment about my Open Road. If I wear a Fedora, I get the Indiana Jones comments, but no such comments occur with the Open Road.

As I regard my Open Road as a dress hat, and as I also have cattle (I work two jobs), I will get confused comments from time to time about whether I've been working stock, but those are genuine questions. About the only quasi-negative comment I ever received while wearing an Open Road occurred when I wasn't wearing it with jeans and boots, and the commenter felt it was inappropriate to the rest of my attire (khaki pants, shirt and tie).

Brinybay

Practically Family
When I used to work at a bank, the dress code was business casual, but I always wore a dress shirt, pants, and tie, but w/o a blazer/sport coat or hat. I worked different jobs during my tenure there. In one office, a couple of guys started to emulate me and began wearing a tie also. But in my last position, I started getting snide remarks from one male co-worker. I tried to ignore him at first, but there's a limit to my patience.

One day as I walked towards my work space, he started vibrating and said out loud in an annoyed tone "You know you really are overdressed!" My response was "Well, there's Linda (the boss) in her office, she's never complained, and if you don't like it, go tell her about it, but I'm not going to listen to it anymore!" He shut up after that.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brinybay said:
When I used to work at a bank, the dress code was business casual, but I always wore a dress shirt, pants, and tie, but w/o a blazer/sport coat or hat. I worked different jobs during my tenure there. In one office, a couple of guys started to emulate me and began wearing a tie also. But in my last position, I started getting snide remarks from one male co-worker. I tried to ignore him at first, but there's a limit to my patience.

One day as I walked towards my work space, he started vibrating and said out loud in an annoyed tone "You know you really are overdressed!" My response was "Well, there's Linda (the boss) in her office, she's never complained, and if you don't like, go tell her about it, but I'm not going to listen to it anymore!" He shut up after that.

That sounds pretty good.

The only discomfort I would have with that approach is that it expresses annoyance, and I am very careful (perhaps sometimes TOO careful) about that: for I don't want to give others the feeling that they have the power to make me react. So I usually prefer the widening of the eyes, frank stare, and no mouth expression.

However, sometimes I suspect that perhaps a modest expression of annoyance would go a long way. It seemed to work for you.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Brinybay said:
Not anywhere near as disgusting had I continued to take daily verbal abuse from an unkempt loudmouth slob. He got what was coming to him.

I of course was referring to the commenter as disgusting, certainly not your comeback.
And I was totally serious when I said that - that sort of stuff makes me sick. Anyone who has a problem with someone that actually wants to look good for the world is just - uh! I don't even have any words. It makes me want to strangle somebody.

IMHO you were going easy on him.

Dr Doran

Jerekson said:
Anyone who has a problem with someone that actually wants to look good for the world is just - uh! I don't even have any words.

It's as though they resent you and want you to come down to their level -- to pull your shirttails out of your pants, etc. "Come on, maaaaaan, what are you dressing up for? You already HAVE a job."

One gets this a lot in Berkeley considering the hippie history of the town.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
It's as though they resent you and want you to come down to their level -- to pull your shirttails out of your pants, etc. "Come on, maaaaaan, what are you dressing up for? You already HAVE a job."

One gets this a lot in Berkeley considering the hippie history of the town.

There's not a "clue bat" big enough to straighten Berkeley out.:D

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Pat_H said:
Living where I do, I never get a negative comment about my Open Road. If I wear a Fedora, I get the Indiana Jones comments, but no such comments occur with the Open Road.

As I regard my Open Road as a dress hat, and as I also have cattle (I work two jobs), I will get confused comments from time to time about whether I've been working stock, but those are genuine questions. About the only quasi-negative comment I ever received while wearing an Open Road occurred when I wasn't wearing it with jeans and boots, and the commenter felt it was inappropriate to the rest of my attire (khaki pants, shirt and tie).

Heck, I have alwasy thouht of the open road as a western and southern version of a dress hat. I would typically think of it as paired with tan work slacks or some such, or a suit, or of course, the sheriff's uniform.

So you wouldn't be all taht out of place.

Bruce Wayne

dont do it!!! it aint worth it!!!
panikknap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran