Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShesSoVaVaVoom said:
I get called Aunt Jemima regularly by coworkers, or Rosie the Riveter, since I almost always have a bandana on at work.

heck I had pink hair (covered with a bandana) and my ASM said to another ASM

"what are you gonna do when your kid grows up to be like that?"

I'm a pretty tough cookie and not easily insulted, but jeez, better that kid grow up to be like me than a jerk like him!

I'd probably fire back "Teach her how to gather evidence so her sexual harrassment and discrimination lawsuit against her employer goes as smoothly as my attorneys tell me that you're making mine..."

byronic

One of the Regulars
i wear a battered old tilley hemp hat to work when the weather is inclement, recent comments have included 'hey, look at john wayne over there' & 'when did you get back from australia?'- if anyone can think of a hat less like john wayne or crocodile dundee headgear, apart from maybe a topper or a bowler, then please let me know....:rolleyes:

Jerekson

One Too Many
I saw an advertisement for one of those stupid cell phone quizes last night on TV. This was the question.

"The main character in the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark was:

A: Indiana Jones
B: Crocodile Dundee"

This is the most ridiculous type of pyschology.
Personally I think O'connel from the mummy is just like Indiana Jones if anything. He's from roughly the same time frame, he runs around toimbs and temples, he carries a gun and various other tools, he wears a buttoned shirt with slacks and I think he has a leather jacket sometimes. But if I ever mentioned this to anybody, first response would be "he doesn't wear a hat".

Crocodile Dundee on the other hand. I don't think it's possible for any two characters to be any less alike, but because they both wear hats they are categorized together as the same character.

Javaccino

New in Town

Hi, this is my very first post here, I'm a new member.
I recently overheard a college student say something about a cowboy hat while referring to a gentleman in a high, Indy-type fedora, which is kind of forgivable in someone her age, (it was a fairly big looking hat), what I don’t understand is the stories I read here about hat wearers being looked on like they are aliens or something.
Where I live, northern New Jersey, cotton-polly blend or wool stingy brim hats are now the thing with young, would-be hipsters, off-the shelf Australian cowboy style hats are seen on the heads of businessmen in foul-weather, and this season, I have seen more than one gentleman of a certain age wearing a Bailey Panama .
As for me, I've been keeping my head cool this summer with an inexpensive white cotton high crowned hat, which has garnered compliments from the folks at work. I can't wait to finally start wearing my fedora no.1 regularly, which is a new brown Akubra "Sidney”. I started looking for just he right dressy felt hat after a dreadfully cold, wet evening in New York City this past February.

Off topic, sorry: In my “Posting Rules” box it still says I may not post attachment. When does this change? I would like to start posting hat pictures as soon as I can.
Thank you all, I hope to enjoy myself in this site.
J

kowalskt63

Familiar Face
Now that I think about it.

I'd tend to agree with Javaccino. I'm a native North Jersy boy, live and work in Philadelphia now. I wear hats daily, and not sure if its my confidence, "don't care what people think" attitude, or whatever, but I really don't get much guff. Most comments are positive, and generally people don't even notice me much. I did have that one "Inspector Gadget" comment a few months ago, but it was nothing but teens. Isn't that what teens do? My opinion these days, is wear em, be proud, and generally don't give a poop about what they say. There's fare more important things to worry about these days? :rolleyes:

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Not about hats but: When my dad saw my new trenchcoat I got an 'Elliot Ness' comment. Not sure if Ness wore them? I didn't mind that. My dad wouldn't wear vintage-ish stuff but I think he likes it, if only for the novelty.

I put it on last night at a party seeing off some friends and an uncle commented along the lines of: "What's with the fancy dress?" I replied that I was getting a bit cold. Then he said "Grim Reaper" or somesuch. I chalked it up to the drink, looked at him for a second and went back inside. Oh, I wasn't wearing a hat at the time.

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
I'd probably fire back "Teach her how to gather evidence so her sexual harrassment and discrimination lawsuit against her employer goes as smoothly as my attorneys tell me that you're making mine..."

lol can I keep you in my pocket incase he decides to make another smart remark?

stibbons

New in Town
After a good couple of months of wearing hats, I got my first "that hat makes you look like Indy" remark from a friend yesterday.

My response? "...but it's grey..."

ABrew

New in Town
I have only been wearing my fed for about a month now but I havent gotten any stupid comments. I've had several complements and even talked to a preacher while I was waiting on my food at a taco bell about the hat, told him about this place I'm not sure if he ever made it here or not. I do get asked if I'm in the mob more then I could have imagined but I just say yes and they just pass on by.

ABrew said:
I have only been wearing my fed for about a month now but I havent gotten any stupid comments. I've had several complements and even talked to a preacher while I was waiting on my food at a taco bell about the hat, told him about this place I'm not sure if he ever made it here or not. I do get asked if I'm in the mob more than I could have imagined but I just say yes and they just pass on by.

That usually does get them to stop asking questions for fear of sleepin' with the fishes. ;) :D
Then again, you could explain that there is no such thinhg as the mob and that you are now all legitimate businessmen.:D

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I've recently started aquiring a few fedoras, the first being a grey Dobbs Golden Coach with a 2-3/8" brim. When my wife saw it she said "Smokin'...", because to her it looked like the hat Jim Carrey wore in the movie the Mask. The hat in the movie was a yellow, wide brimmed, zoot suit type fedora with a porkpie bash, but all fedoras look like that to her. [huh]

The Devil is in the Details

Chuck Bobuck said:
But all fedoras look like that to her. [huh]
A constant theme in this dumb comment thread is people of varying intellegence are completely incapable of distiguishing forms of hats and caps even when they are distinctly different styles. They can't tell a suit from a zoot suit.

It makes you wonder how they can make change, don't all the bills and coins all look the same to them? Can they tell one reality show from another?

Has the frantic pace of TV and MTV, the concept of soundbite and sightbites make them grasp at any connection hoping it will be viable? People don't regard history or details for much of anything these days, and it drives those of us that search out the details absolutely nuts.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
People don't regard history or details for much of anything these days, and it drives those of us that search out the details absolutely nuts.

I guess it works both ways. My wife has made it clear that I can drive her nuts searching out the details whether it's hats, knives, guitars, etc. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart