Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
Chuck Bobuck said:
When my wife saw it she said "Smokin'...", because to her it looked like the hat Jim Carrey wore in the movie the Mask. The hat in the movie was a yellow, wide brimmed, zoot suit type fedora with a porkpie bash, but all fedoras look like that to her. [huh]

Strangely enough, someone at work made the same comment to me yesterday. I was wearing a black stingy brim fedora. Go figure...

carldelo

One Too Many
Yesterday wearing a Joe Fedora - that's a polypro hat woven to look like Milan straw fedora, it even has a chin strap over the back of the brim - I got "Hey Godfather". This is from someone old enough to remember when hats were daily wear. Yeesh.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Spats McGee said:
Wearing my black Jaxon fedora about 3 or 4 days ago, walking down the street, I got "Hey, man! How's the blues band going?" :rolleyes:

That's funny - if I got that one, I'd be able to say, "Well we practice Sunday night..."

MonkeyNerve.jpg

HarmonicaGod.jpg

Spats McGee

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
That's funny - if I got that one, I'd be able to say, "Well we practice Sunday night..."
That would have been a good return. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything sharper than "Hmmph" to come back with.[huh]

jpbales

Practically Family
i got a mean comment...

I was walking back to the parking deck at school, and this guy in the balcony of his dorm says "Micheal Jackson hat," and starts laughing and says something like "yeah, i laugh in your face!" I'm pretty sure the guy was drunk, plus he knows nothing about hats or style, plus he clearly has problems of his own, so I just kept walking. Some people are just so ignorant!

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
On my first time wearing my fedora....

Generally the worst I got was a broad smile as they nudged their colleague (in a bar)to look at what just came in.I did,however get an"Oh for goodness sake!" by a young woman as I walked round a corner.shakeshead I looked around and it could only have been me she was referring to.I was dressed as in my avatar.I can only suppose she was a bit miffed because I didn't offer her a box of chocolates when she thought I was the chocolatier from Harry Enfields sketch show.:D :D

carldelo said:
Yesterday wearing a Joe Fedora - that's a polypro hat woven to look like Milan straw fedora, it even has a chin strap over the back of the brim - I got "Hey Godfather". This is from someone old enough to remember when hats were daily wear. Yeesh.

Maybe he is also old enough to have "old timers" amnesia as well.
"Godfather?! I have only one godchild and it sure as heck ain't you. " ;)

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I picked up my dry cleaning this AM wearing my Lee water block fedora and the owner of the cleaners said. " It looks like your headed to Texas" now the guy is nice enough but a fedora compared to a cowboy hat.................[huh]

oh well I just smiled and said yeehaww ..........

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carldelo said:

I probably would've said "Yeah, well, don't forget what happened to Luca Brasi!"

Jerekson

One Too Many
jpbales said:
I was walking back to the parking deck at school, and this guy in the balcony of his dorm says "Micheal Jackson hat," and starts laughing and says something like "yeah, i laugh in your face!" I'm pretty sure the guy was drunk, plus he knows nothing about hats or style, plus he clearly has problems of his own, so I just kept walking. Some people are just so ignorant!

Yeah, I can vouch for that one. You made a good choice by not reacting - chances are he won't even remember the encounter the next morning anyway if he was wasted enough for that.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Seems t me

I live in a smaller college town and really don't have issues, except for the young idiots who seem to look like Napoleon dinamite or a Trent Rezner copy.

But the way I see it, if I'm on the town and want to wear a lid...what can they say? Besides my wife is pretty damn hot and therefore I must be doing something right!! Besides, I'm getting older now and have never really fallen into step with the typical trends and crap. I'd rather do it my way and have fun with my life!

It all about the confidence!

If you wear a lid and come off sheepish and timid, folks will feed off that.

Though I wear my 8 pc caps more for that scrapper look, I love a fedora in the snow or rain.

JMHO

DerMann

Practically Family
Back in August my class (as in freshman class) went to the president of the college's house for, basically, a garden party. I was wearing a navy blue linen blazer, seersucker trousers, black and white spectators, white shirt, red silk tie, and topped off with a straw boater. For this to make more sense, one must understand that I have fairly prominent sideburns.

As we were walking through the neighbourhoods to get back to campus, a couple of girls (aged anywhere from 14-17), said,"look, an Amish!" as I came into their view. I retorted, rather loudly,"Amish dress in black." Tipped my hat and kept walking.

Apparently the way I said it made me sound rather callous, as my friends told me shortly thereafter. Their fault, really.

I don't know what it is about sideburns and ANY kind of brimmed hat that automatically make people blurt out Amish or Abe Lincoln. Maybe it's for that reason that I don't own any black suits...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara