Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Kifaru said:
As and Yank in Old Bighty, I often get compliments on our manners and deportment. My family feels it is our responsibility to uphold the good old American tradition here of kindess, curtosy and good manners.

Cheers from over here,
Cole
yank, banished to the UK

Banished? Can I volunteer to be re-banished?

I miss having everyone ask me why I was -there-, with some measure of shock. (For part of the time I lived over there I was in a smallish town, not precisely on the -tourist- track)

2 years was not long enough.

Kifaru

New in Town
Came here almost 10 years ago in uniform to a very small base in Cambridgeshire, RAF Molesworth. Used to be a B-17 base in the war, then a nuke cruise missile base and now an intelligence center (no military intel jokes please, heard 'em all ;-). I retired from the Navy but stayed on here as a government contrator.

My local friends are shocked that we actually want to stay here since I'm from sunny S.F., California and my wife is from the snowy state of Maine. But, well, we like it here. I live in a small village where Clarke Gable was flying bombers during the war. My back garden is 5000 acres of the Ashton estate. My pub locals know me and I know them. If there is one other car on the back road on the way to work, its a traffic jam.

Dr. Victoria, on the other hand, has a 2+ hour door to door commute each way every day, to London town. :-(

Oh well, still worth.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Kifaru said:
Came here almost 10 years ago in uniform to a very small base in Cambridgeshire, RAF Molesworth. Used to be a B-17 base in the war, then a nuke cruise missile base and now an intelligence center (no military intel jokes please, heard 'em all ;-). I retired from the Navy but stayed on here as a government contrator.

My local friends are shocked that we actually want to stay here since I'm from sunny S.F., California and my wife is from the snowy state of Maine. But, well, we like it here. I live in a small village where Clarke Gable was flying bombers during the war. My back garden is 5000 acres of the Ashton estate. My pub locals know me and I know them. If there is one other car on the back road on the way to work, its a traffic jam.

Dr. Victoria, on the other hand, has a 2+ hour door to door commute each way every day, to London town. :-(

Oh well, still worth.

Stop...please for the love of god...stop reminding me that I had to leave all that..... ;)

I lived not -all- that far (in Californian terms, a long commute) from you over in Ipswich, for about two years. Ended up with a temp job with the Suffolk Constabulary, which was good fun for the most part, although trying to take a 'are you satisfied with the police' survey at the county fair, was a fun experience of 'oh wait, you are American, can we talk about America instead of the police and crime?' lol

And be honest...how often does someone random tell you their cousin went to Las Vegas and got married there, and do you know them? (for some reason, I was expected to know everyone who has ever visited Vegas)

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
And be honest...how often does someone random tell you their cousin went to Las Vegas and got married there, and do you know them? (for some reason, I was expected to know everyone who has ever visited Vegas)
Do you mean Bob?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
it was at that hotel...you know the one?
Of course, my sister Janet works there.

One of the nicest compliments came from a woman on Thanksgiving who just said, "I love your hat." Plain and simple, but she said it with such sincerity that I knew I had to be doing something right.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
I was leaving my place of work in my taupe fawn Campdraft and a fellow worker, a man in his late 50's, said..."That's a nice hat...it reminds me of...oh who's that detective...uh..." I'm thinking to myself..."I know who you are going to say, don't tell me...it's on the tip of my tongue...oh yeah, Sam Spa...." But, he finishes..."Oh yeah Columbo."

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I've gotten a few, but th two most recent were "dude, thats a fly hat" which my response looked like this: o.0 ...interesting word choices from youngsters these days :rolleyes:
The last was at our christmas party yesterday, one of the fathers asked me if " I was trying to be a gangster or something" I couldn't blame him though, I hat the fedora and a button down shirt with a tie, just what I felt like wearing, but hey, I can see how he would think that.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
OK, have to confess...haven't gotten any dumb comments lately. Maybe friends are used to seeing me with a hat, but strangers either say nothing, or give appreciative glances, or just say "very nice hat!" So no complaints here. I am tempted to think people are getting used to seeing hats again. Could that be?

As an aside, I've traveled extensively in Yorkshire and Scotland, and elsewhere abroad, and have found that folks are very good at heart wherever you go. There are cultural differences on the surface, but beneath that, much generosity and kindness and willingness to befriend strangers if they have the right qualities. Which brings to mind what a fine forum this is - ostensibly devoted to hats and such, but with so much more. Excuse me, must be Seasonal Affective disorder or something...

P.S. to Caity Lynn -
Please stick around! There aren't enough women posting here and we need your perspective!

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I ran into the fellow this morning who made 'batteries' comment at the coffee shop. I was wearing my old brown Stetson fedora. He said, 'Hey man, that's a different hat.' We struck up a conversation and I asked him about the battery comment. He told me he was thinking of Inspector Gadget. Guess I'd better go rent it.

He then wanted to know where he could get one of 'those cool hats'. ;)

carldelo

One Too Many
LEUII said:
He told me he was thinking of Inspector Gadget. Guess I'd better go rent it.

He then wanted to know where he could get one of 'those cool hats'. ;)

Oh, lord, don't rent that movie - one of the worst ever made - I saw it for free on a flight and felt ripped off - you'd be better off sitting on your couch for two hours staring at a blank TV.

It would be cool to change that guy into a hat-wearer.

Chuck Bobuck said:
I was leaving my place of work in my taupe fawn Campdraft and a fellow worker, a man in his late 50's, said..."That's a nice hat...it reminds me of...oh who's that detective...uh..." I'm thinking to myself..."I know who you are going to say, don't tell me...it's on the tip of my tongue...oh yeah, Sam Spa...." But, he finishes..."Oh yeah Columbo."

Oh no! Not a full circle in this thread! Geez, can't people put to synapses together. Columbo very seldomly wore a hat. :eusa_doh:

Caity Lynn said:
I've gotten a few, but th two most recent were "dude, thats a fly hat" which my response looked like this: o.0 ...interesting word choices from youngsters these days :rolleyes:
The last was at our christmas party yesterday, one of the fathers asked me if " I was trying to be a gangster or something" I couldn't blame him though, I hat the fedora and a button down shirt with a tie, just what I felt like wearing, but hey, I can see how he would think that.

A mobster? Were you wearing a double breasted suit too? :D
I think a mobster's moll would be wearing a dress. ;) :p
Some people have no sense of history or style. I bet you looked just fine. :eusa_clap :)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Oh no! Not a full circle in this thread! Geez, can't people put to synapses together. Columbo very seldomly wore a hat. :eusa_doh:

I"m afraid my vague recollection of Columbo,( It only came on occasionally when I was home and allowed to watch tv as a kid) Is forever marred by The Princess Bride...I always visualize Columbo throwing open a door, taking off his hat and saying "hey, hows the sickie?" instead of remembering the actual show.

http://p-userpic.livejournal.com/47463158/475968

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:

My dad's secretary used to comment about how she hated Columbo...she hated his car, his dumb jacket, and his hat. But true, he seldom ever wears his hat.

funneman

Practically Family
No dumb comments lately...However...

I had to pick my son up at soccer practice the other night,
talk about feeling like a fish out of water.

I'm surrounded by all of these men in shorts, t-shirts,
sneakers and baseball caps and here I come walking
across the fields dressed like this:

005-2-2.jpg

No comments, but boy, did I get a lot of confused stares.

It was like they couldn't figure out if I was there to
take someone home, or take someone OUT!

funneman said:
I had to pick my son up at soccer practice the other night,
talk about feeling like a fish out of water.

I'm surrounded by all of these men in shorts, t-shirts,
sneakers and baseball caps and here I come walking
across the fields dressed like this:

005-2-2.jpg

No comments, but boy, did I get a lot of confused stares.

It was like they couldn't figure out if I was there to
take someone home, or take someone OUT!

Taking someone out of course. ;) :p
There is no such thing as the mob they are legitimate businessmen. To think otherwise might get you taken out. ;) :D

Caity Lynn said:
I"m afraid my vague recollection of Columbo,( It only came on occasionally when I was home and allowed to watch tv as a kid) Is forever marred by The Princess Bride...I always visualize Columbo throwing open a door, taking off his hat and saying "hey, hows the sickie?" instead of remembering the actual show.

http://p-userpic.livejournal.com/47463158/475968

I am afriad I never saw that. Perhaps better for my dumb comment thread I suppose. ;) :p
I always see Falk as not actually playing a character but rather being himself in different roles.:D :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL