Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

F16WarBird

New in Town
LEUII said:
Whew, with all these Campbells around I'd better be careful! :eek:

I guess our common USAF roots will take care of that.

Great looking kit, btw.

LOL! I'd be more concerned if it was the Hatfields & McCoys.

Thank you for the kind words.

Hurrah Air Force!

Edward

Bartender
LEUII said:
Whew, with all these Campbells around I'd better be careful! :eek:

Me too - as best as I can make out, my Scots roots all lined up with the Jacobites - the Campbells, of course, famously as a clan fought for the English at Culloden. ;)

WildCelt said:
Actually, I believe that is the US Air Force Tartan.

Thanks - I didn't know such a creature existed! Is there a specific reason why the US Air Force has a tartan - is there a Scottish link in there somewhere, or was it more of a purely stylistic decision than that? Were there a lot of boys with Scots roots joined up at one time? I remember reading the regimental tartans were created for the Scottish regiments of the British army in part to put a stop to spirited disagreements among the men when rival tartans were worn.

F16WarBird

New in Town
Edward said:
Is there a specific reason why the US Air Force has a tartan - is there a Scottish link in there somewhere, or was it more of a purely stylistic decision than that? Were there a lot of boys with Scots roots joined up at one time?

The USAF tartan is worn by the USAF Reserve Pipe Band. They tour the world with the rest of the Air Force Reserve Band (Brass ensemble, orchestra, rock band, etc). They are also detailed for unique events/ceremonies.

The kilt may not be worn as part of the standard uniform and may only be worn while performing (by members only), much like the Honor Guard ceremonial uniform. I am a member of the latter (at base level). Anyone can wear it out of uniform.

Here is one example:

http://www.af.mil/weekinphotos/050325-09.html

Also seen here in Edinburgh with Sir Sean.

200px-ConneryKilt.jpg

All branches of the US Military have a registered Tartan, except the Navy (I think).

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
F16WarBird said:
All branches of the US Military have a registered Tartan, except the Navy (I think).

The Navy does have its own tartan known as Edzell (why it's called that, I don't know). My understanding is that the service tartans were designed as a way to honour the service of military members of Scottish heritage; Scotland seems to have a way of exporting its warriors.

F16, I'm not an X-marks lad, but I have lurked about there before.

Edward, the Campbells also fought with Wallace and the Bruce, they just weren't too fond of the Catholic Stewarts.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
Although I'm McDonald I do find the Campbell history fascinating. My gran had a theory that their main problem was that they lived too far south. Much to close to the Sasenach for their own good. I have a cousin who went to Scotland for seminary and ended up betrothed to a Campbell lass. They were married over here. It was quite a wedding! More kilts, jibes, spitting, hugging, and merriment than I've ever seen at a wedding. And, as a pastor I've been to a lot of weddings!

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
kilts

Well the one that I have from the clann "McFarce" (I'm Finnish) sort of a brown and black one, I will look for some pict later
But back to what I'm been asked when I take mine out
"what worn under a kilt?"
me: Boots, what under your pants?
or
Nothing is worn, it all works purefectly fine.
or
Lippstick (if I want to slap them with a zinger) your wifes/girfiends/daughters
or
A blue ribbon.

Oh F16warbird nice icon

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
Me too - as best as I can make out, my Scots roots all lined up with the Jacobites - the Campbells, of course, famously as a clan fought for the English at Culloden. ;)

Thanks - I didn't know such a creature existed! Is there a specific reason why the US Air Force has a tartan - is there a Scottish link in there somewhere, or was it more of a purely stylistic decision than that? Were there a lot of boys with Scots roots joined up at one time? I remember reading the regimental tartans were created for the Scottish regiments of the British army in part to put a stop to spirited disagreements among the men when rival tartans were worn.

:eek:fftopic:

Here's a couple of bits about the USAFR Tartan from USAF sources:

Billy Mitchell Tartan

Early in 1960, the commander of the Air Force Band Washington DC, Colonel George Howard, wanted to get the U.S. Air Force Pipe Band into an official Scottish uniform.

Gen. Curtis LeMay authorized the wear of a kilt.

Since Billy Mitchell is considered the grandfather of the Air Force and his lineage can be traced back to Scotland and a sect of the Innis Clan, Tech. Sgt. Melvin Ross persuaded officials to go with the Innis Tartan.

Chief Warrant Officer Louis Kriebel traveled to Scotland to make arrangements for the kilts.
When the vendors found out who they were making the Tartan uniforms for and why, they designed a Mitchell Tartan, similar to the popular Hunter and Russell Tartans.

“If there is a difference,” Sergeant Boone said, “it is only by one thread.”

The U.S. Air Force Pipe Band received the Tartan in the summer of 1960.

The authentic uniforms worn by the Air Force Reserve Pipe Band were manufactured in Scotland and include the Air Force Reserve colors of ultramarine blue and golden yellow. The official tartan of the Air Force Reserve was authorized and approved in September 1987 by the Tartan Society in Edinburgh, Scotland.

And here's another bit about both the USAFR and the Navy. Note that the asker of the question about the USAFR Tartan is the (likely now former) NCOIC of the USAFR Pipe Band. http://houseoftartan.co.uk/news/letters2.htm

The originals of the USAF sources have conflicting dates regarding the formation of the USAFE Pipe Band. I guess it just goes to show that you can never be absolutely sure how these things come about.

Cheers,
Tom

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
J.S.Udontknowme said:
A few weeks ago my Grandson told me that I looked like Superman while I was wearing my Stylemaster. I told him that Superman doesn't wear a hat and he said "Yes he does and glasses just like you, when he is Clark Kent".

Ha! Outsmarted ya didn't he? It's always inspiring when the little ones surprise us with their wit isn't it.:)

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
When some fellow recently asked me why I was wearing a man's hat (I was in my vintage Borsalino Allesandro), I said "I am not, I am wearing a woman's hat."

"How do you know that?," he queried.

"Because a woman is wearing it," I said.

karol

Good one!:D Made me laugh for a while. Way to teach the fella some manners.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Over the weekend the girl at the grocer's checkout asked me if it was "too bright in the store" because I still had my hat on ...

:( It makes me sad sometimes that these things go on unchecked inside peoples' minds.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Heard my first DT comment today

I was standing in the foyer of the building where I teach (think grocery store double entrance, since that's what this building used to be) talking to my wife on my cell phone. Since she gets up and leaves before I get up, and she's asleep when I get home, I like to give her a call during one of our breaks. But I digress.

A group of practical nursing students were approaching the inside doors when I picked up "He looks like Dick Tracy" just before they entered the foyer to leave. As I was in conversation I didn't have the time to think of anything witty to say as they went by, other then "Dick Tracy's hat was yellow."

I figured at the very least they may got the point that I heard the comment. I doubt it'll do anything for their manners, other then to be a bit more cautious about not being overheard when they say things like that.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
Tango Yankee, I've gotten the Dick Tracy comment, too. I always thought Dick tracy was COOL!!!

Oh, Dick Tracy was VERY cool! I didn't mind the comment in that regard, but in this case it was said in a somewhat derogatory manner. I thought the young women needed a reminder that sometimes the subject of their comments can hear them. :p

Cheers,
TOm

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Such wonderful stories, I went to the bank about a month or so ago and the banker asked how I managed to keep it on my head. I simply told her that I place it on and use a hat pin if it feels unstable, of couse all while laughing to myself!

metropd

One Too Many
This isn't a dumb comment but it makes me a little uncomfortable is when I go to the grocery store old women(from the actual golden era) give me this Metaphysical glaze as if I'm the image of their dead husband 75 years ago from the first day they fell in love. I know this because they have vioced it!:eek: :eek::eek:

Edward

Bartender
F16WarBird said:
The USAF tartan is worn by the USAF Reserve Pipe Band. They tour the world with the rest of the Air Force Reserve Band (Brass ensemble, orchestra, rock band, etc). They are also detailed for unique events/ceremonies.

Ah, now with a pipe band that makes sense...

It just strikes me as let's say surprising that the US military would have tartans at such a remove from Scotland, really....

WildCelt said:
The Navy does have its own tartan known as Edzell (why it's called that, I don't know). My understanding is that the service tartans were designed as a way to honour the service of military members of Scottish heritage; Scotland seems to have a way of exporting its warriors.

....but I guess it must have some sort of historical reason, along those lines.

Edward, the Campbells also fought with Wallace and the Bruce, they just weren't too fond of the Catholic Stewarts.

Yeah, that's the thing. Culloden (exactly like the Battle of the Boyne, but let's leave that can of worms to one side for now! ;) ) was really nothing so simple as the popular version of histroy would have us believe - nice Bonnie Prince Charlie fighting for Scottish freedom against "they b'stard English" and their evil King. BPC didn't care a damn about the Jacobites - he abused their grievances to further his own attempt to seize the English crown. In a sense, leading them out to be slaughtered like that he did them almost as much a disservice as the brutality meted out by the English army in the aftermath of the battle, and then the highland clearances etc. The Campbells shoulder most of the blame in popular histroy for turning traitor and fighting for the English, but really it was much more complex than that; those who fought on the side of the English were also fighting for their own reasons - settling clan scores, and so on. The BBC drama-documentary from 1964, entitled Culloden and based on Prebble's 1962 book of the same name, portrayed this extremely well. It was actually rather groundbreaking, being i think the first to use the now familiar medium of dramatic reconstruction with actors playing historical characters being interviewed and the whole battle acted out as if it was happening right there and then with a film newscrew on site reporting it. Worth a look if you're interested in the battle and its significance in Scottish history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culloden_(film)

LEUII said:
Although I'm McDonald I do find the Campbell history fascinating. My gran had a theory that their main problem was that they lived too far south. Much to close to the Sasenach for their own good.

There may well be something to be said for that. lol The borders is a funny area, but then that's likely the same for any two countries. National boundaries are always going to be artificial to a certain degree.

retrofashion said:
Ha! Outsmarted ya didn't he? It's always inspiring when the little ones surprise us with their wit isn't it.:)

Smart kid indeed. Notice what he did? Where you might expect him to think "superman = the costume", he clearly views it as "superman= the person, whether or not in his Clark Kent disguise." Seems to me that if that kid can look at everyone for the person inside rather than judging from outward appearance, he's off to a great start! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo