Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Duck said:
A woman at work looks at my hat and says " That is one screwed up cowboy hat". I was wearing my JPD Raider. [huh]

It's comments like that which actually piss me off.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
It's comments like that which actually piss me off.

I know what you mean. I think what gets to me about comments like that is that, well, they make assumptions about the person they are directed at.

For example, in this case, this woman said "That is one screwed up cowboy hat". Now, for that to be true, Duck would have had to have picked up his "cowboy hat", looked at it and thought to himself "Hmm, this cowboy hat has a very small brim, a very wide ribbon, and all the dents are in the wrong places. Ah well, I'll just wear it anyway."

I'm not really explaining myself very well, but I guess what I am getting at is how would the woman have reacted if Duck had said (perhaps referring to her dress she may have been wearing) "That is one screwed up boiler suit"?

It somehow suggests low standards of the wearer (in this case, Duck's suggest inability to discern a cowboy hat that isn't screwed up), rather than the ignorance of the speaker.

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
I hate when some knucklehead with his ball cap sideways and his pants down around his knees thinks you look strange!

Although you have to admire his moxy, commenting about your appearance. I mean, you wear a gun. ;) lol

funneman

Practically Family
The SMARTEST comment I've ever heard...

...came from my twelve year old daughter.

I was driving her and her friend home last night when I overheard the friend say:

"Why does your Dad always wear a hat?"

To which my daughter repled:

"Because they're cool." :eusa_clap

Hey mid-fogey, how are things on the penninsula?

I spent a couple of years in Va. Beach in the late '80s.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
fatwoul said:
Although you have to admire his moxy, commenting about your appearance. I mean, you wear a gun. ;) lol

But they don't know that when i'm offduty! [huh]
And when i'm working most thugs know that you can't just shoot them so it still makes thing difficult. But when the tazer first came out!...... :cheers1: :whistling

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
But they don't know that when i'm offduty! [huh]
And when i'm working most thugs know that you can't just shoot them so it still makes thing difficult. But when the tazer first came out!...... :cheers1: :whistling

Whether or not you are allowed to shoot them should depend on how dumb their comment was. IMO. :D

Aerol

A-List Customer
Mid-Fogey,

you have it exactly right. You have to treat the world with a certain degree of grace and humor.

Edward

Bartender
LEUII said:
I had a funny comment today. I was wearing my Silver Belly OR with a fedora bash. I had on a plaid shirt and jeans. While fueling up at the truck stop. I burn diesel. I noticed two kids staring at me. They were acting really nervous. Eventually they sped away and promptly hit a telephone pole. Dinged their car a bit. There happened to be a police officer right on the other side of the building. Long story made short. The kids had 'contraband substances' in their vehicle. I over heard them commenting on 'that undercover detective in the black Ford.'

Really cracked me up.

No pun intended. ;)

It might not have been the hat. Were you wearing highly polished shoes? Supposedly undercover cops all too often give themselves away because their shoes are more highly polished than a "real" normal person's would be. [huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My pith helmet

I wore my pith helmet last Saturday to Floyd Bennett Field. I got a couple of "Nice pith helmet!"s, and a couple of Dr. Livingston comments. I sort of take it as a compliment. I soaked the helmet in water before I went out, to get the cork wet. This what you're supposed to do with them. It seemed to work, as I didn't get sunstroke all day.
Meandjarheads2cropped.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1, Thanks for that tip about soaking your pith helmet in water. I didn't know that. Evidently the evaporation cools your head. I'll have to give it a try.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was very pleased that it didn't simply dissolve. I got it at a store in Virginia called Ranger Surplus. They have a website, but I don't know if it's listed there. They had several styles, this one, the pure white "Zulu" style, the Southeast Asia style worn by General Giap in Vietnam, etc. They're made in Vietnam, and seem totally correct, no plastic or styrofoam. The inner band is adjustable with velcro. And only $30!

Jerekson

One Too Many
funneman said:
...came from my twelve year old daughter.

I was driving her and her friend home last night when I overheard the friend say:

"Why does your Dad always wear a hat?"

To which my daughter repled:

"Because they're cool." :eusa_clap

Hey mid-fogey, how are things on the penninsula?

I spent a couple of years in Va. Beach in the late '80s.

Sounds like you raised a good kid ;)

dostacos

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
I wore my pith helmet last Saturday to Floyd Bennett Field. I got a couple of "Nice pith helmet!"s, and a couple of Dr. Livingston comments. I sort of take it as a compliment. I soaked the helmet in water before I went out, to get the cork wet. This what you're supposed to do with them. It seemed to work, as I didn't get sunstroke all day.
Meandjarheads2cropped.jpg
I probably would have said Dr. Livingston I presume my own self, and it would have been a compliment, especially if I knew you soaked the cork first:D

dostacos

Practically Family
being new to wearing fedoras out in public [ah like the first time with my camptown, I have worn an old wool felt wanna be, but that is a different subject;) ]

So I got 2 comments on my first night.

First comment: Nice Hat"*
Second comment: "hey, is that Indiana Jones"**

* from IndyMcfly from COW
** ok, we had JUST watched Raiders of the Lost Ark at an outdoor showing at the old FOX theater in Fullerton Ca, so I was not offended

well one more "sir would you mind...." before she finished I took my hat off so she could better see the screen. {I sit higher in my wheelchair than the camp chairs everybody else sat in.}

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
Before I started dressing vintage, and I started dressing in around 1984 I was a bit of a punk kid...I was with my punk mates hanging out one time in my hometown and a small child exclaimed "Look Mummy, Clowns!"...

But in regards to vintage it was a girl I'd very recently been dumped by saying "You look like you should be in sepia!".

TK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael