Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
fatwoul said:
I guess people want to say something they think is clever when they see someone dressed, behaving talking, walking, or whatever differently. I reckon they just don't have a good range of smart comments for hat wearers, because as yet there aren't many of us. Of course, the fact that there are few of us is what makes us different, and makes the comments appealing to those who deliver them, so we should probably always expect a fairly low calibre of "funny" remarks about our headwear.

They do those funny comments but from the deep of their heart they want to wear a hat too. Last week i met with my friends and i got the MJ comment again and laughs at me. But one by one wore my hat for taking pictures.

Edward

Bartender
BegintheBeguine said:
Welcome, LindyTap!
Yes, they do. After all, it's a hat and it's on top of your head, right? :eusa_doh:

Heh. It's hard to know how to respond on thed street sometimes... I've had a lot of compliments this Summer when out and about in a panama. Not folks taking the proverbial, folks who genuinely think it looks great and want to say so (often they fall into the "wish i knew how to / had the nerve to wear one myself"). I'm always slightly uncertain how to respond when they say things like "nice trilby!" To correct someone who offers a genuine compliment seems a bit mean spirited somehow, though if it was in the context of a longer conversation it might be easier to say "actually, it's a panama" in a way that didn't seem elitist and condescending. Dreadfully easy to bemoan others' ignorance, but then we all had to learn at one time too. Admittedly, while i can see the fedora / trilby / panama / homburg confusion, then all being more or less the same shape, it would surprise me if someone didn't recognise a top hat when they saw one, they're such a common image even if so rarely worn in practice nowadays. At a push I can see a certain element of commonality of shape between a topper and a trilby with a very stingy brim and high, straight crown, but it really is a bit of a stretch.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yesterday, at the bank, a gentleman touched my elbow and said "You know, you look just like Gregory Peck...."
before i could get too puffed, he finished:
"In The Boys From Brazil."

:mad:

Starius

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Yesterday, at the bank, a gentleman touched my elbow and said "You know, you look just like Gregory Peck...."
before i could get too puffed, he finished:
"In The Boys From Brazil."

:mad:

Mein lieben! :eek:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I USED TO frequent a Subway sandwich shop by my office. I'd go in and get the same thing every single time (Italian BMT w/pepperjack, toasted, with onions, black olives and mayo , in case you're wondering).

The first time (and only the first time) I went, I was able to order with no consequence. However, after that, and always in a crowd of customers, the manager would smile and say, "Haha, you look like Dick Tracy." And he'd never deviate from that phrase, "Haha, you look like Dick Tracy."

I usually wore a gray or green Royal Stetson and an overcoat. One time he said it and I was sporting a black homburg.

Needless to say, I stopped going. Eh, I guess I don't have a sense of humor. [huh]

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...lousy way to treat a customer, especially coming from the manager.

The only thing I can come up with in response to that is 'Wrong shade of yellow, though.' Confuse him.

hargist

One of the Regulars
Dick Tracy

There's a lady in my office building who insists on making the Dick Tracy comment to me too. She's one of those older, orange haired, garishly dressed (usually purple), huge glasses, loud types. She's one of those types that you can't ignore because she won't allow it. You know what I mean.

Anyway, we usually see each other in the elevator. One day she said, "You look like Dick Tracy!" I was wearing a charcoal fedora and a dark suit that day.

I replied, "What? I'm not wearing yellow. You mean because of the hat?"

I thought that was that, until two days later I met her in the elevator again and she AGAIN said, "Hey, it's Dick Tracy!" I responded with silence and eventually she said, "I guess I shouldn't say that."

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh Crimeny, I know what you mean; I have one of those women here. You just can't ignore the person and even in silence, they comment on everything.

I want to articulate what I'd like to do to these people...but I guess I shouldn't. :rage:

Qwkslvr

One of the Regulars
Bat Masterson

I have a particular predilection for banded collar dress shirts with French cuffs and generally wear an English Bowler. I often wear a vest with a pocket watch. Here in Wyoming, I get a lot of "There's Bat Masterson" comments. I suppose I should get a cane.

hargist said:
There's a lady in my office building who insists on making the Dick Tracy comment to me too. She's one of those older, orange haired, garishly dressed (usually purple), huge glasses, loud types. She's one of those types that you can't ignore because she won't allow it. You know what I mean.

Anyway, we usually see each other in the elevator. One day she said, "You look like Dick Tracy!" I was wearing a charcoal fedora and a dark suit that day.

I replied, "What? I'm not wearing yellow. You mean because of the hat?"

I thought that was that, until two days later I met her in the elevator again and she AGAIN said, "Hey, it's Dick Tracy!" I responded with silence and eventually she said, "I guess I shouldn't say that."

Let's see, orange hair, purple clothes, huge glasses and loud----Hey its Dick Tracy's arch enemy Pruneface. ;) :p

Regards,

J

LindyTap

Familiar Face
All right, I got another one. Today I was wearing my black sinatra milan straw from henry the hatter again, and I was walking out of my dorm building with my roommate when the woman at the front desk stopped me and asked me if I played guitar. I told her I didn't, and she asked me if I played any instrument at all. I told her I played drums, and, obviously sensing my confusion, added, "You just look like someone who would play an instrument.":eusa_doh: When we got outside my roommate looked at me, shurgged and said, "It must be the hat." I think he might be right, that's the second weird comment I've had in three days wearing this hat, maybe it just attracts weird people.[huh]

nulty

One of the Regulars
Qwkslvr said:
I have a particular predilection for banded collar dress shirts with French cuffs and generally wear an English Bowler. I often wear a vest with a pocket watch. Here in Wyoming, I get a lot of "There's Bat Masterson" comments. I suppose I should get a cane.

At least they remember who he is...gotta say somethin for that. :p

Doh!

One Too Many
hargist said:
I got a particularly dumb/uninformed comment last week.

It has been unbearably hot this past week, so I opted to wear my seersucker suit and a polka dot bow tie.

After viewing one of their many magic shows, my group passed by another group who was waiting for the next show. The lady friend I was with said she overheard some girl say "Only in LA" as she referred to my seersucker.

I really wish I had heard her because I would have said something like, "Obviously you are not well traveled."

Next time try, "The suit comes off, but you're stuck being stupid."

Or, "The Jerk Store called, and they're all out of YOU."

LindyTap said:
All right, I got another one. Today I was wearing my black sinatra milan straw from henry the hatter again, and I was walking out of my dorm building with my roommate when the woman at the front desk stopped me and asked me if I played guitar. I told her I didn't, and she asked me if I played any instrument at all. I told her I played drums, and, obviously sensing my confusion, added, "You just look like someone who would play an instrument.":eusa_doh: When we got outside my roommate looked at me, shurgged and said, "It must be the hat." I think he might be right, that's the second weird comment I've had in three days wearing this hat, maybe it just attracts weird people.[huh]

Well it is the Sinatra model after all. ;)
Its better than being called pimp---as far as I am concerned. :eusa_doh: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart