Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Bantam Man said:
Following this thread, I wondered about those 'Indiana Jones' comments you guys in the US get. Apparently, that character is an enormous phenomenon in the US!

Bantam Man

Was up in Manhattan/NYC for the week and had the Fed. Deluxe on ... the Russian gentleman I sat next to on the plane (not widely steeped in U.S. film) thought he had me all figured out. I couldn't help laughing when I put his words into context and realized what he had "deduced."
He never said "Indiana," but after a few other comments he said "Oh I know! You are historical teacher, no?"

Lancealot

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
I went to church wearing a cream colored three-piece and the man sitting in front of me asked if I had just come from the bank.

Among others...it's amazing how nowadays, some people will actually consider a suit out of place [huh]

I tend to get asked if I'm speaking when I have on a suit at church.

Lancealot

Practically Family
LEUII said:
Received and interesting comment today. I was wearing a pair of Mountain Khakis, a polo shirt, my Alden 405's, and a beat up cheap Bailey Panama. A fellow hailed me in the parking lot, waved me over, and then said, 'I always wondered what Indie would have worn in really how weather.'

I'm sporting a Stetson Panama myself due to the heat and get an Indy comment about every other day and this is from people used to seeing me in a hat [huh]

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Whenever I get a compliment, I say thank you, and when the comment isn't understandable, I smile or smirk, but I wouldn't consider any comment dumb or inferior, simply because I feel they just don't know any better, and that's okay with me.

As far as I'm concerned, if they can familiarize my fedora with Indy's or Michael Jackson, they know what it is or looks like and that's great.
I wouldn't be surprised if they bought a fedora because they saw me in one. Clothing is a walking sales pitch.

K

killertomata

I've never gotten really dumb comments about what I'm wearing.. and I agree that a compliment is a compliment. It depends on where you are and who's complimenting also- when I'm in San Diego I'm around people who are used to seeing retrophiles here and there. There are a lot of us around.

The only thing I have found less-than-smart is the usual romanticizing and idealization of past eras by people who have forgotten that humanity was no more perfect back then than now. I am in love with the Golden Era, but I am not looking back with blinders on either. However, when someone says I remind them of a time when things were so much better... I don't remind them of rationing, air raids, racism, lack of women's rights, etc. I let them have their ideas because I don't think most of them really want to remember the bad with the good. I can't say I blame them, and sometimes I think it would be nice to walk around with fluffy clouds obscuring my view.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, they did have rationing in 1973, racism is still around, and every non-union job I've ever had men made more than women and got more promotions, and air raids still occur in a certain part of the world.
Add me to the list of people who get way more positive comments, however period-inaccurate, than dumb or negative about dressing vintage. :) It's my natural hair color I get dumb comments about. lol

K

killertomata

Yes, things now aren't perfect by a long shot of course- but the point being- things weren't then either and people tend to romanticize the past in very unrealistic ways.

Some comments people give really aren't dumb so much as just misinformed or uneducated in the area they're commenting on.

BegintheBeguine

Oh, I agree.
I myself gave a dumb comment a couple years ago. :eek: My friend came to a Hollywood-themed Halloween party in a fedora and leather jacket. I thought he was James Dean for a day but of course he was portraying Indiana Jones. Now that I'm a Lounge member I realize how misinformed I was.

fatwoul

Practically Family
BegintheBeguine said:
Well, they did have rationing in 1973...

Really? I didn't know that. Was it a Vietman thing? How extensive was the ration - was it on everything?

BegintheBeguine said:
...I myself gave a dumb comment a couple years ago...

I think this thread needs more of these; dumb comments we made ourselves before we knew better. I am going to go think of some hat ones. Right now all I can think of are dumb fishing things I said before I tried fishing myself. :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
The dumbest comment I ever heard was, "Actually the color is taupe". This was made by a person who was wearing a toupee and someone commented on his "toupe". They were remarking on his hairpiece, not his hat.

fatwoul

Practically Family
carter said:
The dumbest comment I ever heard was, "Actually the color is taupe". This was made by a person who was wearing a toupee and someone commented on his "toupe". They were remarking on his hairpiece, not his hat.

Yeah toupe or not toupe. That is always the question...

BegintheBeguine

fatwoul said:
Really? I didn't know that. Was it a Vietman thing? How extensive was the ration - was it on everything?

I think this thread needs more of these; dumb comments we made ourselves before we knew better
Gasoline. I read it in a copy of Dog World, of all things, the other day. My big sister claims shoppers could only buy one bag of sugar at a time for awhile but I was much too young to know.
As some Loungers here know, I am never afraid to show my ignorance on many topics by opening my mouth. :)

Josephine

One Too Many
fatwoul said:

One was you could only get gas during certain days depending on what letter or number your license plate began with. And the lines were looooooooooooong. :)

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
the gas ration happened in Los Angeles and a local univerisity still has a four day week because of those rations. Well, they hold classes but not many.

dostacos

Practically Family
dr greg said:
Perhaps you are referring to the OPEC oil shock of 1973 when the oil exporting countries stopped the flow as a reaction against US support for Israel in the Yom Kippur war. (It was a bit more complicated than that, but it'll do as a summary)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_energy_crisis

yes and the odd even was the last # of the plate and something like vanity went odd or even if no numbers [can't remember which and no they did not get to go both days]

Up in San Jose they had a 10 gallon limit which many times you had to hit the line twice which did not work real well since they also had short hours, meaning you would need to hit the line every other day to make sure you had the gas.

of course some other fun was when they sprayed Malathion all over San Jose for the fruit flies.

I would sit out side and play ride of the Valkyries [or ride the Apocalypse for the movie Apocalypse now] and watch the Hueys flying back and forth, then after a few hours 2 would peel off and head to Morgan Hill.

Yes I actually played the classical music not the soundtrack and NO I did not stay out when they were "straffing" my neighborhood:D

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I remember well the gas lines. Even in our little town. That was when we were glad my father had purchased that funny little German bug! We, all six of us, would cram into and go to town on Saturday and church on Sunday. Could you imagine the seatbelt fines today if someone did that?

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Ah yes, 1973 gas rationing. :eek: Inter-city driving was an adventure to see if one could arrive without running out of gas. Gas stations closed before dark, and on weekends and holidays. And --- oh what fun --- we played Pied Piper following delivery trucks to their destination :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL