Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

warbird

One Too Many
rrog said:
As a native Tennessean, I initially was going to ask if this "place" was in East, Middle or West Tennessee, but then I realized... that's pretty much a true statement in the whole state!

rrog

(we hillbillies have to laugh at ourselves. everyone else do, so why not join the crowd? lol )

Well you guys must be hanging out with some of the worst examples of this state I guess because I have never met an adult who I would say didn't know who Einstein was. Might be a lot of rednecks and a lot of country folks, but they aren't stupid for the most part.

Charlz

Familiar Face
warbird said:
Well you guys must be hanging out with some of the worst examples of this state I guess because I have never met an adult who I would say didn't know who Einstein was. Might be a lot of rednecks and a lot of country folks, but they aren't stupid for the most part.
This is very true. I did not mean to insult the entire state. I love TN and the people. My local area is not a wealth of intellectuals, but it is an anomoly and you are right TN should not be lumped into my comment.

greatestescaper said:
.... And I heard a little boy sitting across from me asking his mother if I was a cowboy. She was embarrassed and tried to quiet him. I didn't mind. I thought it was funny. When I got up to leave he flat out asked me "are you a real cowboy?" His mom was mortified. I laughed and told him I was. Then I told him I had to run that I was late for a cattle drive and got off the bus. The smile on his face made it so worth it...
I get that quite often, even wearing a 2 1/2" brim Borso. The cowboy boots I wear don't help at all. Whenever I'm asked about being a "real cowboy", I always reply, "Of course not, I am a horseman! Who would want to mess with a whole lot of ill temper wrapped in a leather bag?"...:D

celtic

A-List Customer
The other day I was wearing wool trousers, a dress shirt and tie, and a tweed waistcoat (Target!).

One co-worker who seems to take all of his fashion tips from George Costanza circa '91, said:

"You look like an aluminum siding salesman"

me: "Pardon me?!?!"

"You ever see that movie TIN MEN?"

me: "No, actually I haven't."

"Well you look like a guy in that movie"

me: "Oh, well, I guess I should check it out then.."

Well, I still haven't seen the movie, so after I do perhaps I should move this into the 'Nicest Comment' thread....but until then...I HOPE I don't look like an aluminum siding salesman...

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Celtic

tinmen2.jpg

I think you better keep it hereshhhhhhhh

celtic

A-List Customer
lol

that's pretty much like i figured.

but like i said, the fella who commented isn't exactly a fashionable person to begin with, so whenever he makes a comment i usually just end up shaking my head.

one day i was wearing a sky blue check dress shirt and he told me i looked like i stole a tablecloth.

:eusa_doh:

Carlisle Blues

Celtic

I am a New Yorker. If you have any sense whatsoever, you never dis' someone's clothes.

Unless, of course, you want to get a wedgie or you have some deep seeded personal problems like poor impulse control.lol lol

Davidson

One of the Regulars
I enjoy reading about all the things people say "off the top of their heads" about hats and hat wearers. I don't have one to add today, but I will keep an ear out.

I have two thoughts, one about behavior and one about opinion of self - a couple things I have slowly learned from and about life.

The behavior thing is how I respond outwardly to "dumb comments". I have a standard (OK, a loose standard:D ) of how I want to behave. Just because someone else is rude or boorish or thoughtless in their comments to me, doesn't mean I want to change my behavior. I was courteous, funny, kind (you get the idea:D ) before the nasty remark about "me and my hat", and I choose to remain so afterward. I will not be drug down by those with lower personal standards.

Also, I discovered a long time ago that I let what people say make me feel a certain way about myself - usually bad in some way. This is foolish. There is no reason to let someone else's words change how I feel about myself. When I understood this, I found it pretty easy to apply to co-workers, acquaintances, and strangers, and it is a huge help. It even helps with friends and family.

You also start to notice the "habitual offenders" you spend time around. These are people who put a lot of effort into emotional manipulation of others. Once you become aware of what they are doing, it becomes ineffective, and often entertaining. But these are not nice people.

Y'all have fun out there today!

Davidson said:
I enjoy reading about all the things people say "off the top of their heads" about hats and hat wearers. I don't have one to add today, but I will keep an ear out.

I have two thoughts, one about behavior and one about opinion of self - a couple things I have slowly learned from and about life.

The behavior thing is how I respond outwardly to "dumb comments". I have a standard (OK, a loose standard:D ) of how I want to behave. Just because someone else is rude or boorish or thoughtless in their comments to me, doesn't mean I want to change my behavior. I was courteous, funny, kind (you get the idea:D ) before the nasty remark about "me and my hat", and I choose to remain so afterward. I will not be drug down by those with lower personal standards.

Also, I discovered a long time ago that I let what people say make me feel a certain way about myself - usually bad in some way. This is foolish. There is no reason to let someone else's words change how I feel about myself. When I understood this, I found it pretty easy to apply to co-workers, acquaintances, and strangers, and it is a huge help. It even helps with friends and family.

You also start to notice the "habitual offenders" you spend time around. These are people who put a lot of effort into emotional manipulation of others. Once you become aware of what they are doing, it becomes ineffective, and often entertaining. But these are not nice people.

Y'all have fun out there today!

The opposite end of this is simply that their comments do not bother me but I don't want them to proliferate in an environment in which they feel safe to say stupid things. Their comments could well effect a new hat wearer who is less than positive about his choice and that bothers me. :rage:
If no one tells them off or turns their comments around on them to make them understand that their comments are unacceptable then they will keep doing it Or as Burke put it:
‘When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.’
Good hat wearers unite! :D ;)

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
celtic said:
"You ever see that movie TIN MEN?"

me: "No, actually I haven't."

"Well you look like a guy in that movie"

me: "Oh, well, I guess I should check it out then.."

Well, I still haven't seen the movie, so after I do perhaps I should move this into the 'Nicest Comment' thread....but until then...I HOPE I don't look like an aluminum siding salesman...
I think they dressed pretty nice. It was set in '59/60 before double-knit houndstooth check took over:

51FRC9GB7VL._SS500_.jpg

Still, it's amazing to me the stretches people make to reference a pop culture icon just to assimilate seeing someone in a hat, suit, or in your case, a vest and tie.

JohnnyB53 said:
Still, it's amazing to me the stretches people make to reference a pop culture icon just to assimilate seeing someone in a hat, suit, or in your case, a vest and tie.

You have a point that was driven home not long ago when I went to the post office to check the P.O. Box. I was standing in front of the box dialing in the code wearing my Tan Dobbs Fifteen, khakis, black shirt and Rock Knit long overcoat. An seasoned citizen woman, likely in her 70s, came around the corner and looked at me like I was a ghost from the past. She didn't say anything to me but the look was sort of shock and surprise rolled into one. she even looked back once or twice to make sure she had seen what she had seen. It actually made me laugh.
BOOOOOO! lol lol lol lol lol

Carlisle Blues

JohnnyB53 said:
I think they dressed pretty nice. It was set in '59/60 before double-knit houndstooth check took over:

51FRC9GB7VL._SS500_.jpg

I don't know John, I think that tinny character still may be the ONElol lol lol

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I was standing in front of the box dialing in the code wearing my Tan Dobbs Fifteen, khakis, black shirt and Rock Knit long overcoat. An seasoned citizen woman, likely in her 70s, came around the corner and looked at me like I was a ghost from the past. She didn't say anything to me but the look was sort of shock and surprise rolled into one. she even looked back once or twice to make sure she had seen what she had seen.
Here's something to think about: Today's septuagenarians were young adults in the late 1950's, when nice big fedoras were associated with the previous generation, and had given way to stingy brimmed porkpies and trilbies. In other words, someone wearing a high crowned, straight-sided fedora with a 2-1/2" brim and coordinating clothing today is going to look retro, even to a person in their 70s.

My dad wore the straight-sided high crown fedoras. He'd be turning 100 next month if he were still with us.

Ghost indeed.

JohnnyB53 said:
Here's something to think about: Today's septuagenarians were young adults in the late 1950's, when nice big fedoras were associated with the previous generation, and had given way to stingy brimmed porkpies and trilbies. In other words, someone wearing a high crowned, straight-sided fedora with a 2-1/2" brim and coordinating clothing today is going to look retro, even to a person in their 70s.

My dad wore the straight-sided high crown fedoras. He'd be turning 100 next month if he were still with us.

Ghost indeed.

It was indeed a high crowned straight sided fedora with a 2 1/2" brim. Quit spying on me. :p ;)
Geez, I dress that way everyday. lol lol lol
I reinterate----BOOOOOO! lol
When it warms up enough around here then they can see me in my hawaiian shorts with khakis and a straw hat. :D

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
It was indeed a high crowned straight sided fedora with a 2 1/2" brim. Quit spying on me. :p ;)
Geez, I dress that way everyday. lol lol lol
And here's my dad in 1954. He was born in March 1909.

BurMilGeoJohn1957-crop-1-1.jpg

Today's 70-year-old would have been 15 when this picture was taken. They'd see such a fedora as an old man's hat--a relic of the previous generation.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
> I've been told I look like Lincoln on a number occasions, I don't usually wear the stove pipe (see left) - at the time I was actually dressing as Isambard Kingdom Brunel and engineer born in my neck of the woods.
> I've had Tsar Nickolas II, the Grandad thing I get a lot particularly when smoking my pipe.

But the one that takes the biscuit is that once when a friend and I were enjoying a drink in a Tudor-built pub a guy came up to us and said:

"Excuse me, but do not think you look like a couple of ***** smoking those pipes?"

We asked him what he was trying to say, to which he replied:

"Oh nothing, I don't want any trouble(???) sorry" and sheepishly walked away

I'm not quite sure what what to makes of that, polite in some matters but the deleted word was filthy and did he think we were some sort of pipe-smoking thugs?

Aerol

A-List Customer
JohnnyB53 has it right

It's easy to confuse "60-70 years ago" with "someone 60 to 70 years old." I'm in my 60's (yes, it pains me to write that) and I can assure you that when I was in my 20's, 40 years ago, no one wore hats. Even my father, who's now in his 90's, never wore a hat.

Actually, there was one type of hat that was common in the late '60s early '70s. It was green and made of steel. And creases of any sort were decidedly unfashionable.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Aerol said:
It's easy to confuse "60-70 years ago" with "someone 60 to 70 years old." I'm in my 60's (yes, it pains me to write that) and I can assure you that when I was in my 20's, 40 years ago, no one wore hats. Even my father, who's now in his 90's, never wore a hat.

Actually, there was one type of hat that was common in the late '60s early '70s. It was green and made of steel. And creases of any sort were decidedly unfashionable.

I am 55 and I seem to remember my old man (born 1912) wearing a hat in some snaps in the 40s/50s but not past the 60s and he was bald at 23!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo