Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michaelshane said:
A man I only barely know saw me walking down the sidewalk last summer,I was wearing a straw fedora.He said,"a fedora! I didn't know you liked fedoras,my father always wore a hat like that,My sisters and I were going through his stuff last month and we threw away over a hundred fedoras,he had them in boxes in the attic I wish I had Known you liked them".I still cry when I think about it.
OUCH!

Michaelshane said:
A man I only barely know saw me walking down the sidewalk last summer,I was wearing a straw fedora.He said,"a fedora! I didn't know you liked fedoras,my father always wore a hat like that,My sisters and I were going through his stuff last month and we threw away over a hundred fedoras,he had them in boxes in the attic I wish I had Known you liked them".I still cry when I think about it.

:eusa_doh: Hopefully they were all 6 5/8. :rolleyes:
I just wonder if that is what will happen when I go. [huh]

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
(This hat or other garment) comes from a smoke and pet free home.

Of course I'm only referring to my home, where the item has resided for about a week since the estate sale.

Whether the original owner where it resided for the vast bulk of its existence raised ferrets and smoked cheap cigars, I don't have a clue.

Duh. ;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Self explanatory, I saw this in an antique store today.

mallory.jpg

mall.jpg

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Now popularized? Oh thank goodness Saint Justin deemed us worthy enough to be graced with the fedora. How come nobody ever advertises hats as "popularized a while ago by Dan Aykroyd?" I can't be the only one who was influenced by the Blues Brothers in a hat-related manner.

Story

I'll Lock Up
KeyGrip said:
I can't be the only one who was influenced by the Blues Brothers in a hat-related manner.

300 miles to Chicago, we have half a tank of gas, a full pack of cigarettes, it's dark out and we're wearing sunglasses...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Aerol said:
It's easy to confuse "60-70 years ago" with "someone 60 to 70 years old." I'm in my 60's (yes, it pains me to write that) and I can assure you that when I was in my 20's, 40 years ago, no one wore hats. Even my father, who's now in his 90's, never wore a hat.

Actually, there was one type of hat that was common in the late '60s early '70s. It was green and made of steel. And creases of any sort were decidedly unfashionable.

Now, if you lived in Chicago 40 years ago, that comment is a bit surprising to me. Perhaps you were on the West Coast at that time, or some other area. I am from the West (Los Angeles), and can vouch that younger men were no longer wearing hats 40 years ago (except for some hippies), but that some older men were. I can recall seeing senior gents in my hometown of Glendale, still wearing suits and fedoras, particularly on Sundays. And my father, who is 91 and originally from PA, always wore a fedora when he went out in a suit in the 40's and early '50s (he often wears one now!).

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
The stupidest comment I ever got was when I was wearing my homburg and trenchcoat and was told I looked like sherlock holmes. Sherlock holmes!
Inspector gadget, whatever, I got called "The Don" once, I guess that's in the ballpark but sherlock holmes?

People are dumb. It also bothers me when they say "nice fedora. Or, Nice bowler" when I wear my homburg.

Corky

Practically Family
There is only one suitablereply to any stupid comment...

There is only one suitable reply to any stupid comment:

"Eat your heart out, Jackass!"

univibe88

One Too Many
Lefty said:
This is more of a strange one:

I've been asked if I'm Jewish hundreds of times.

I'm really curious what the questioner's objective is when you receive this inquiry. Suppose you were to say "why yes, I am Jewish." Then what? What does that information mean to the person? Does he simply nod and smile with this new knowledge and walk away? Is he hoping that by determining that you're Jewish you'll be able point him towards a temple or a kosher deli?

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
bobalooba said:
The stupidest comment I ever got was when I was wearing my homburg and trenchcoat and was told I looked like sherlock holmes. Sherlock holmes!
Inspector gadget, whatever, I got called "The Don" once, I guess that's in the ballpark but sherlock holmes?

People are dumb. It also bothers me when they say "nice fedora. Or, Nice bowler" when I wear my homburg.

I empathise. I recently wore a kahki trench coat along with the following hat,

0210092223.jpg

sorry, no pic of the two together, to school. I'm a teacher. I got quite a few Inspector Gadget and Sherloch Holmes remarks. I just figure they're kids, they're supposed to be stupid, that's why they come to school, to get "unstupid". I wonder what excuse that leaves an adult.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Ive gotten the IJ comments, but the most common 'stupid comments' I've always gotten are from my kids at school. Depending on their age, when they see the hats, I either get laughed at, or 'Hey, cowboy,' from those slightly older.

When I tell them its not a cowboy hat, and tell them its a fedora, the response is either laughter, or an 'Oh,' again, depending on their age.

For a good number of them, this happens over and over again, no matter how many times they see me in a fedora.

But hey, theyre kids, so waddaya expect?! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda