Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Not only was the tag a joke but it didn't fit so you got it both ways. ;) :p
"Men's hat popularized by Humphrey Bogart" Like they would know who that was. :rolleyes:

There is a sandwich store in town which is only open during lunch hours and every time I go in there the guy behind the counter calls me "Bogie" and always puts extra meat on the sandwich
hx7nmo.gif

I guess the Fedora has extra powers that I did not know of? lol

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Polite is the new rude?

The other day I was walking through the downtown, on my way back home. I was wearing high, wide legged trousers, a sweater vest, bowtie, blue jacket, and gray fedora. I passed by a group of young men, and the one in front looked at me and said 'G'day, sir', and all his buddies started laughing as if he had said something really witty. The tone was also certainly not complimentary.

This got me thinking about something Scotrace posted in the thread about men's high boots and an encounter he had. If you're going to be snarky, why pretend to be polite?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick D said:
The other day I was walking through the downtown, on my way back home. I was wearing high, wide legged trousers, a sweater vest, bowtie, blue jacket, and gray fedora. I passed by a group of young men, and the one in front looked at me and said 'G'day, sir', and all his buddies started laughing as if he had said something really witty. The tone was also certainly not complimentary.

This got me thinking about something Scotrace posted in the thread about men's high boots and an encounter he had. If you're going to be snarky, why pretend to be polite?

When I hear a comment like that, I have a sudden urge to grab the little pin-headed moron who made the comment and beat the ever lovin' dog crap out of them. :rage: But, I always refrain. My satisfaction comes from the fact that I know I could annihilate the little pukes if I so desired. ;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
bobalooba said:
People are dumb. It also bothers me when they say "nice fedora. Or, Nice bowler" when I wear my homburg.

In this case they're not dumb, just ignorant and ignorance can be cured! At least they're trying to pay you a compliment even if they get the nomenclature wrong. Depending on the circumstances you may be able to gently educate them, or at least thank them.

Regards,
Tom

Ordinary Guy said:
There is a sandwich store in town which is only open during lunch hours and every time I go in there the guy behind the counter calls me "Bogie" and always puts extra meat on the sandwich
hx7nmo.gif

I guess the Fedora has extra powers that I did not know of? lol

I'll have to see if that works next time I go to a sandwich shop. ;) :p
You can call me Bogie if you give me extra meat and cheese on the sandwich bud. :p

Jerekson

One Too Many
Has it come to this?

Recently I've found myself doing something really stupid.

whenever I see a group of youngsters (or whatever type of hooligans - I have a gift/curse of being able to tell if someone is going to say something) approaching me from a distance, I take my hat off and make it appear as though I'm giving my hair some air, or fixing my hat.

I didn't even realize myself doing this until just the other day, when, as putting it back on, I thought to myself "What the hell is my problem?"

I'm sick of the constant dread of possible comments. It's really ruining my whole outlook on hats, and general clothing. I can easily see why weaker souls have such a problem with conformity.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Jerekson said:

whenever I see a group of youngsters (or whatever type of hooligans - I have a gift/curse of being able to tell if someone is going to say something) approaching me from a distance, I take my hat off and make it appear as though I'm giving my hair some air, or fixing my hat.

I didn't even realize myself doing this until just the other day, when, as putting it back on, I thought to myself "What the hell is my problem?"

I'm sick of the constant dread of possible comments. It's really ruining my whole outlook on hats, and general clothing. I can easily see why weaker souls have such a problem with conformity.

Look at it this way: They're the ones with a problem, not you. The comments I get when I'm dressed vintage are nothing compared to what I sometimes get when I'm kilted, but I'm not dressing for them.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jerekson said:

I hate to say this, but, you are allowing these clowns to live in your head rent free. [huh]

You have adopted their perspectives, you are allowing them to control your activities.

I mean this ... be true to yourself ... not some people whom you believe have disdain for your choices. In other words, if you are going to wear a hat wear it with pride. Stand tall. ;) ;)

Carlisle Blues said:
I hate to say this, but, you are allowing these clowns to live in your head rent free. [huh]

You have adopted their perspectives, you are allowing them to control your activities.

I mean this ... be true to yourself ... not some people whom you believe have disdain for your choices. In other words, if you are going to wear a hat wear it with pride. Stand tall. ;) ;)

One of the main reasons I started this thread---support and reinforcement of sartorial splendor. :D :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Jerekson

One Too Many
Thanks for the reinforcements gents. It's not much of a problem for me anymore now that I've realized what had happened to me...I guess I had sort of let my confidence fall for a while. No longer.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
...I have a sudden urge to grab the little pin-headed moron who made the comment and beat the ever lovin' dog crap out of them. ...
Stuporously drunk and aggressive drunk college kids (both girls and boys) are impossible to deal with laking proper credentials. I will cross the street to avoid them.

These days, at my age, I just give them (the smart asses) a Principally or Fatherly look of disapproval (which they are not long on) and they melt away like glaciers.

...but, the number one dumbest comment I ever heard was from a child who looked to be around the age of 7 or 8 - road his bicycle into into the tobacco/liquor store and asked me if I was a cop. This is a fairly remarkable question at 10:00 PM - in a liquor store - at this hour. Hmmm..... they've sent a scout..........

So I just knelt down and told the boy to tell his Homies that I would be around - that I was plann'n to frequent the place - and that if I ever saw him around this store again that I would take his bicycle away.

A man's gotta have principals.... or stay out of bad neighborhoods :eek:.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Jerekson said:

I have had a sense of impending numptiness from hooligans for as long as I can remember.I too am sick of unwelcomed comments and mockery from them.I have so far started wearing a newsboy cap and I am enjoying the warmth it gives against the wind chill.In the warmer weather, I am thinking of wearing a Panama to ward off any potential skin cancer.I am dreading the laughter and mockery but I will still be wearing it.I will have my own mind.Something they don't!

I have noticed something stupid about their attitude to hats.If a guy wears eg.cowboy hat no one will mock him as long as he is not smartly dressed in a suit or sport coat shirt and tie.The second they see the suit as well they laugh.:rage:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
charlie farley said:
I am thinking of wearing a Panama to ward off any potential skin cancer.I am dreading the laughter and mockery but I will still be wearing it.I will have my own mind.Something they don't!

I have noticed something stupid about their attitude to hats.If a guy wears eg.cowboy hat no one will mock him as long as he is not smartly dressed in a suit or sport coat shirt and tie.The second they see the suit as well they laugh.:rage:

Firstly, get your friends to wear hats too or at least some sort of non-conformative clothing, as in a groups the comments don't matter much really.

Secondly, I get that too. When I wear my leather jacket, shirt and fedora I get nothing (I do brown jacket and grey hat to avoid looking like Indy). Today I wore a tie with what I usually wear just to go down to the photo booth in the local shop to look presentable for my driving licence photo and the amout of stupid remarks was staggering compared to the usual amount of hardly any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR