Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Today in my Akubra Homburg, it was "Odd Job".
That was something original, at least for me.
"We" know OJ didn't wear a Homburg, but that's why we're the coolest cats in the sandbox.

503179001_Juset-Th-1.jpg

Similar for me yesterday!

I was wearing a homburg and those 'yoofs' that walked passed me called me Charlie Chaplin. They only got the first part of my name right but missed big time on hat lore...

Johnny.

New in Town
Bah. Some people really are idiots. I've been referred to as a Blues Brother by wearing a black Akubra Bogart (I know!) and I was getting milk down at the milk-bar with my dark brown Fed IV the other day and I walked past a teenager and I promptly heard him snigger.

He was wearing board-shorts with thongs (flip-flops) and no shirt. I was in a fitted shirt with a loosely done up tie and jeans. I may be wearing a bit of a weird hat, but at least I have style, buddy...

Kangfish

Familiar Face
I was at a hospital a few days ago visiting a buddy of mine and a young lady came in to fit him for a temp. foot brace. I was wearing my grey Stetson Saxon and there was no safe place, it seemed, to put it down and after a few minutes she looked at me and said "so...what's up with the hat"? I just looked at her debating what to say. I'm really known for my sarcastic one liners but I let her off easy. My friend said "we're just a couple of old blues musicians and we like to wear hats" I thought of a hundred things to say but I just left it at that. Other than that I really only get compliments. I had a meeting with the music and drama director at a local high school a couple of weeks ago and a kid came up and said "man I'm really diggin' that hat right now!" But like I said before. The norm is a compliment. Hundreds of them. My opinion is that a lot more folks do like hats but are to self conscience about wearing them. - Kangfish

alden405 said:
Nope

Some people make strange connection though.A friend (who is Jewish) was wearing a grey hat with a black suit on his way to temple was told that he "looked like a Gestapo agent"

Oh well....................................

Ok, you are getting into the absolute dumbest comment I have ever heard area. Not only was it dumb but a clear case of when someone should keep their mouth shut when they have nothing to say.
I have to quote the Strawman from The Wizard of Oz for the second time today: “Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking. Of course, I'm not bright about doing things.” :rolleyes:

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Johnny. said:
Bah. Some people really are idiots. I've been referred to as a Blues Brother by wearing a black Akubra Bogart (I know!) and I was getting milk down at the milk-bar with my dark brown Fed IV the other day and I walked past a teenager and I promptly heard him snigger.

He was wearing board-shorts with thongs (flip-flops) and no shirt. I was in a fitted shirt with a loosely done up tie and jeans. I may be wearing a bit of a weird hat, but at least I have style, buddy...

At times like that, a little tut or a few tsks would have put him in his place.

alden405

A-List Customer
on a lighter not last night someone said that hat makes you look like Tom Waits

i was happy with that

jamespowers said:
Ok, you are getting into the absolute dumbest comment I have ever heard area. Not only was it dumb but a clear case of when someone should keep their mouth shut when they have nothing to say.
I have to quote the Strawman from The Wizard of Oz for the second time today: “Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking. Of course, I'm not bright about doing things.” :rolleyes:

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Could you believe they do call me a Blues Brother. How could anyone possibly say that? :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:
Don't get it at all since your lid is cooler than their's. Unless that is unless your last name or nic is truly "Blues" and you have a brother that plays in the same band.

Cool pic!

Your new avatar...looks like you are watching me wherever I go in the room.
eyes021.gif
Now I gotta make certain I'm at least wearing my boxers while I type here.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
Don't get it at all since your lid is cooler than their's. Unless that is unless your last name or nic is truly "Blues" and you have a brother that plays in the same band.

Cool pic!

Your new avatar...looks like you are watching me wherever I go in the room.
eyes021.gif
Now I gotta make certain I'm at least wearing my boxers while I type here.

Goose I gotta tell ya ... this forum has not been the same since your arrival. lol lol lol

I am happy to say no one gives me grief. Maybe it's the "I grew up in the projects in the Bronx" look, maybe it's the "I don't have time for your snit" look. Who knows [huh] [huh] I have just been getting compliments lately. ;) ;) :)

Jerekson

One Too Many
alden405 said:
Nope

Some people make strange connection though.A friend (who is Jewish) was wearing a grey hat with a black suit on his way to temple was told that he "looked like a Gestapo agent"

Oh well....................................

I personally wouldn't take any thought to that comment whatsoever, but when you take into consideration the implications that that may hold in a Jewish community - it's possible that's the most offensive comment I've ever heard of.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have gotton the Gestapo comment too from a very small number of people in my school (as I am half German and like to wear a grey fedora with dark coat and leather gloves in cold weather). However, when I explained just how horrible that comment actually is, considering who the Gestapo were, people have apologised which is enough to satisfy me that they will not do it again and did not mean it offensively.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
I have gotton the Gestapo comment too from a very small number of people in my school (as I am half German and like to wear a grey fedora with dark coat and leather gloves in cold weather). However, when I explained just how horrible that comment actually is, considering who the Gestapo were, people have apologised which is enough to satisfy me that they will not do it again and did not mean it offensively.

Ah... ve haf vays of making zem not talk....:eek: :eek: :D

JJWord

Familiar Face
cookie said:
Ah... ve haf vays of making zem not talk....:eek: :eek: :D

Reminds me of a joke Stephen Lynch used in a concert I just went to:

Knock Knock
Whos there?
....ze Gestapo...
The Gestapo wh...
VE VILL BE ZE ONES ASVING VE QUESTIONS!!

It was told in jest to his new traveling partner, David Josephburg.

I'd say "Gestapo" is about as bad as the "KGB" shot taken at me over one of my grandfather's old gray overcoats, when everyone around the campus knew I had a mentor who KGB had a death-mark on and it was widely known about me having a grudge-match with the Red Terror over it...

I've probably mentioned it before, but it still annoys me even years later.:rage:

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Anakin's Betrayal
via FoxyTunes

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
JJWord said:
Reminds me of a joke Stephen Lynch used in a concert I just went to:

Knock Knock
Whos there?
....ze Gestapo...
The Gestapo wh...
VE VILL BE ZE ONES ASVING VE QUESTIONS!!

It was told in jest to his new traveling partner, David Josephburg.

I'm the grandson of Holocaust survivors and I still that's pretty darn funny. lol
Do you mind if I copy and past that joke to my facebook page from your post?

BruceTracy

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Geez, I hope he meant the first one. Unless you threatened to beat him on your way out. ;) :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnbj0w8iOeM
Unless you were Stepping Out. :D
WOW! I was really surprised to find that the Joe Jackson in the first pic was a singer from the 8O's! The pic looks like it was taken in the 40's and the guys looks like someone from the time period (not just his clothes, his face and body type; anyone get what I mean by that?). IIRC, I've heard that song on the radio before a long time ago, but never knew who sang it (or honestly cared lol). However, after watching that Youtube video I now have that song stuck in my head. :eusa_doh:

BruceTracy said:
WOW! I was really surprised to find that the Joe Jackson in the first pic was a singer from the 8O's! The pic looks like it was taken in the 40's and the guys looks like someone from the time period (not just his clothes, his face and body type; anyone get what I mean by that?). IIRC, I've heard that song on the radio before a long time ago, but never knew who sang it (or honestly cared lol). However, after watching that Youtube video I [B]now have that song stuck in my head. :eusa_doh:

Sorry about that but you did mention him. ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR