Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWord

Familiar Face
BruceTracy said:
I'm the grandson of Holocaust survivors and I still that's pretty darn funny. lol
Do you mind if I copy and past that joke to my facebook page from your post?

Be my guest, though credit should go where its due ie Stephen Lynch.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I'd never gotten asked if I was Jewish before (a friend, who is Jewish and knows I am not, asked if I was a rabbi the first time she saw me in my black homburg, but that was a joke). But yesterday, it finally happened.

I was wearing my new black fedora, off-white linen suit coat, and a pair of wide leg dark blue trousers. My wife and I walked up to a bus shelter to go into town, but didn't go under it because there were two girls and one guy, all of whom looked young college age, smoking under it, so we waited just outside.

After a few moments, one of the girls came around the shelter and asked me 'Are you Jewish?' with a sort of wide-eyed look. I told her no, I'm not. So she asked where we were from, and I told her America. So she went back into the shelter and through the glass I heard her tell the others 'They're from America!'

:rolleyes:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I can see only one solution to dress vintage whilst avoiding stupid comments. See my avatar. Strangely enough I do get fewer comments when I have my dark coat with the collar up than when I wear my beige trench coat. Obviously the sinister look scares the idiots too much for them to say stupid things.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
avedwards said:
I can see only one solution to dress vintage whilst avoiding stupid comments. See my avatar. Strangely enough I do get fewer comments when I have my dark coat with the collar up than when I wear my beige trench coat. Obviously the sinister look scares the idiots too much for them to say stupid things.

AV I have listened with a sympathetic ear to your unfortunate plights and misadventures getting remarks, looks and your leather jacket burnt up.

You have a lot of heart buddy. Most would have crumbled under such pressure. However, I see that look in your avatar and I would expect that it will strike fear and loathing in your adversaries. :rage: In others a new respect will emerge. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap And still others will look askance wondering what you do next. ;) ;)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Thanks CB. You're right about the respect though, all my friends have learned to accept my hat now to the extent that they are disappointed on the very rare occaisions where I do not wear my hat (the last one being when I wore a dinner jacket and the only hat I owned then was a tan one).

As you can see I just pull my gun when things go too far. Don't be too deceived by my avatar though as I may look mean, but I am not around friends. I still aim to be a gentleman to those who deserve it, such as polite people who mind their own business.

Tampahound

One of the Regulars
failed_2.jpg

I think this is rude and belongs among the dumbest comments. :D

My $.02.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This is sort of an inside-out dumb comment because it's not about my hat, per se, but the jacket I wear 99% of the time - the one in the avatar.

I dont know how many times I've been asked if I rode my motorcycle to wherever it is I happen to be. I'm wearing a fedora! How do you ride in a fedora (in a helmet law state)?

Aerol

A-List Customer
I dont know how many times I've been asked if I rode my motorcycle to wherever it is I happen to be. I'm wearing a fedora! How do you ride in a fedora (in a helmet law state)?

By taking off the fedora and putting on a helmet. Or am I missing something here?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Yesterday I was wearing a British 8-panel cap and a co-worker said I reminded him of Tintin. Tintin? :eek: I seem to recall Tintin may have worn a similar cap at some moment in his adventures, but it is hardly his usual attire, so I can only think that, apparently, the cap sparked in him some nondescript vintage image with Tintin somewhere... go figure...

This is an actual shot of my outfit yesterday:

DSC_0385b.jpg

(and I was NOT wearing plus-fours, mind you ;) )

Tintin in an attire that could have caused the mental link, if one assumes the long shot this means (but note, NO CAP):

images3-1.jpg

Even Tintin is wondering...

images1-1.jpg

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
That is arguably the most stupid comment ever. Having all the Tintin comics I can say that he only wears a flat cap frequently in one of them (The Arumbia Fetish) where he wears it with a trench coat, which looks inconspicuous by Tintin's standards. In the other comics he only wears a flat cap in very few panels.

Assosiating Tintin with a flat cap would therefore be like assosiating Indiana Jones with a German military officer's uniform, just because he wears one in one scene of Indy 3. It is a truly idiotic comment.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
But since that's only in one of 22 comics (only counting completed ones) I think that comment doesn't stand. It makes Indy comments almost seem clever by comparison, even when they are said when you wear the combo seen in my avatar, which has no brown and no leather (except for the gloves).

Torpedo

One Too Many
Yes, agreed. Previously, I just looked for an image illustrating what you said - I did recall that Tintin used a cap, but, precisely because it is NOT part of his usual attire, I could not find any image of it. Once you zeroed on the one album this cap is feaured (even if not that much), I found an image by means of using the album's title in the searching engine.

Even then, I do not believe that funny guy was a Tintin buff who thoroughly knew Tintin's adventures; he just made some loose association, that happens to have a faint basis.

armod

Familiar Face
(I don't know why the encoding isn't working)

_____________________________[/COLOR]

I'm always interested to hear who people liken me to. I get freddy mercury and borat alot (it's probably the moustache) but I get so many different people that it's its own form of entertainment for me. I guess I have one of those faces

armod

Familiar Face
just a few hours ago I got "wild wild west"
I'm not sure if it's a reference to the period or the movie (which I haven't seen).

the funny thing is that I wasn't wearing anything vintage or classicly styled tonight.

3423841691_0c964b0a9f_m.jpg
3424649920_162774c930_m.jpg
3424650020_121f178415_m.jpg

the character is japanese for luck and happiness​

I'm guessing it was the boots. they can look like they'd be useful while riding (wouldn't really survive long in a stirrup though)

Maguire

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
I'd say "Gestapo" is about as bad as the "KGB" shot taken at me over one of my grandfather's old gray overcoats, when everyone around the campus knew I had a mentor who KGB had a death-mark on and it was widely known about me having a grudge-match with the Red Terror over it...

I've probably mentioned it before, but it still annoys me even years later.:rage:

----------------]
My first trenchcoat is this olive drab looking one, and my first good quality pocket watch was this soviet made one emblazoned with a hammer and sickle (i've posted it) so i got plenty of" KGB" comments from some russians at jobs etc. Its all in good fun though.

armod said:
just a few hours ago I got "wild wild west"
I'm not sure if it's a reference to the period or the movie (which I haven't seen).

the funny thing is that I wasn't wearing anything vintage or classicly styled tonight.

3423841691_0c964b0a9f_m.jpg
3424649920_162774c930_m.jpg
3424650020_121f178415_m.jpg

the character is japanese for luck and happiness​

I'm guessing it was the boots. they can look like they'd be useful while riding (wouldn't really survive long in a stirrup though)

I think you found someone gifted with insanity there. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Oh and as the Punch ad says: "I use my cigar as idiot repellent." :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda