Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dostacos

Practically Family
from up stream a ways... I have been asked if I was Jewish many times and I NEVER was wearing a hat at the time[huh] {including stewards/stewardesses on EL AL airlines to and from TWICE:eusa_doh: } I did have a full beard but....

as for dumbest, just got it 2 Sundays ago waiting for breakfast, a guy asks me if I am from back east? I said no I was BORN in East LA, where he said "well yeah they wear hats there too." I did not say I GREW UP in East LA, just born there.

He then started telling me how to steal direct TV :eek: and that I should sign up for a reverse mortgage. I told him we were still working.....:deadhorse lol

I had this loud and obnoxious young woman come up to me at work today and ask me "Boy, was you in Grease or sumtin'?!" In a garbled up form of ebonics, who's poor grammar went through me like a Dentist's drill. I told her "Yes, in fact Danny Zuko's working back in Layaway, would you like me to get him for you?"

dostacos

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Sounds like a charming fellow! Life as a dodge.
he was from Nevada, visiting with his sister and some friends.

I suspect he lives in a condo or town home in a seizure world set up. He was saying how if my neighbor had a direct TV box they could use MY main converter/account and it is legal. My first question is WHY would I want to share Direct TV with my neighbors? I mean we are just NOT that close, no wait I would not give two hoots for most of them and the COP would probably not want to do it either....

Heck, HGTV is running a deal where they convert 2 neighbor's garages into living spaces. THAT I would be interested in doing but I don't know any neighbors that I would want to ask.

no pardon me while I go back and use my neighbors wireless Internet connection :rolleyes:

dostacos said:
he was from Nevada, visiting with his sister and some friends.

I suspect he lives in a condo or town home in a seizure world set up. He was saying how if my neighbor had a direct TV box they could use MY main converter/account and it is legal. My first question is WHY would I want to share Direct TV with my neighbors? I mean we are just NOT that close, no wait I would not give two hoots for most of them and the COP would probably not want to do it either....

Heck, HGTV is running a deal where they convert 2 neighbor's garages into living spaces. THAT I would be interested in doing but I don't know any neighbors that I would want to ask.

no pardon me while I go back and use my neighbors wireless Internet connection :rolleyes:

lol lol lol lol Good points.

Jerekson

One Too Many
I was called a greaser while wearing some black New Balance tennis shoes, a pair of ripped jeans, a white t-shirt and a black track jacket. Must have been the hair I guess...

I'm not against the greaser comment at all, because I'm prone to looking JUST like one sometimes - with boots, cuffed dark jeans, a white undershirt (tucked in) and a matching hairstyle - but I'll never get comments when I do look like that. Funny thing is I'm usually carrying a stiletto with that outfit too...

I guess it's just that typical out-of-context frustration again...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Nice outfit Torpedo,

especially with that cap! Though I've never read any Tintin...

Torpedo said:
Yesterday I was wearing a British 8-panel cap and a co-worker said I reminded him of Tintin. Tintin? :eek: I seem to recall Tintin may have worn a similar cap at some moment in his adventures, but it is hardly his usual attire, so I can only think that, apparently, the cap sparked in him some nondescript vintage image with Tintin somewhere... go figure...

This is an actual shot of my outfit yesterday:

DSC_0385b.jpg

(and I was NOT wearing plus-fours, mind you ;) )

Tintin in an attire that could have caused the mental link, if one assumes the long shot this means (but note, NO CAP):

images3-1.jpg

Even Tintin is wondering...

images1-1.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
?Que', que'?

dostacos said:
as for dumbest, just got it 2 Sundays ago waiting for breakfast, a guy asks me if I am from back east? I said no I was BORN in East LA, where he said "well yeah they wear hats there too." I did not say I GREW UP in East LA, just born there.

He then started telling me how to steal direct TV :eek: and that I should sign up for a reverse mortgage. I told him we were still working.....:deadhorse lol

The only time I see fedoras in East Los is on Sundays, when the veteranos cruise Whittier Blvd. in their Chevys, on their way to Montebello City Park. Otherwise, chale!:cool2:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday in Birmingham train station some not very sober looking late-teenage/early twentys called me Indiana Jones and one of them even did a whip impression. Under normal circumstances I would just assume they were being a bit silly but this time (due to the fact that what I was wearing was nowhere near Indiana Jones) I didn't even realise their comments were directed at me until I looked around and saw that I was the only person there in a fedora.

I was in khaki trousers, an off-white sport coat, grey hat, light blue shirt and a deep blue pocket square. So other than the trousers none of my attire could really be linked to Indiana Jones since the hat, even to the untrained eye is definitely not Indiana Jones like both in shape and colour.

I know the Indy comments are probably the most common, but if you wear a Fed IV and an A2 there is a little bit of logic to them. I was wearing neither. Do I have to wear a top hat to convince people that I am not an archeologist but someone who wants to look well dressed?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
avedwards said:
I know the Indy comments are probably the most common, but if you wear a Fed IV and an A2 there is a little bit of logic to them. I was wearing neither. Do I have to wear a top hat to convince people that I am not an archeologist but someone who wants to look well dressed?

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, my friend and I went into a thrift store, simply dressed in sport coats and ties, no hats, with one of us wearing shades. One of the workers piped up, "The Blues Brothers?" to which I replied, "No, the Black Brothers." My point is, there will always be those who, upon seeing even a hint of style, will link it to the closest cultural "icon" that they can conjure up.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
avedwards said:
As I mentioned earlier on this thread, my friend and I went into a thrift store, simply dressed in sport coats and ties, no hats, with one of us wearing shades. One of the workers piped up, "The Blues Brothers?" to which I replied, "No, the Black Brothers." My point is, there will always be those who, upon seeing even a hint of style, will link it to the closest cultural "icon" that they can conjure up.

People today are ignorant of the history of clothing, and style in general. They don't share our appreciation for more traditional standards of dress.

Seems to me that what they do know comes from television, and popular films that go back no further than the 70's. That's not something we can help, and if we're honest, it's their loss that their world is so limited.

I say, let them be amused and make idiots of themselves. We know what we are. ;)

Macheath said:
People today are ignorant of the history of clothing, and style in general. They don't share our appreciation for more traditional standards of dress.

Seems to me that what they do know comes from television, and popular films that go back no further than the 70's. That's not something we can help, and if we're honest, it's their loss that their world is so limited.

I say, let them be amused and make idiots of themselves. We know what we are. ;)

Oh geez! The 1970s comes back to haunt us again. :eusa_doh: [huh]
That was a really bad era for clothing. I don't think I want to be compared to just about anything made around then. :rolleyes:
At least Indy is from the Golden Era. ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Macheath said:

Be careful there, Macheath. Several Loungers will accuse you of being elitist, and the thread will be put on ice. Then, we'll start another thread that tries to figure out what "elitist" means ... and that will be put on ice, too. Catch my drift? :)

Macheath said:

This bears some truth. My mom argued this point with my friends. They gave me the nickname "Sixties" and my ma argued with them one day that it should clearly not be that because my style is very much more fifties.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Be careful there, Macheath. Several Loungers will accuse you of being elitist, and the thread will be put on ice. Then, we'll start another thread that tries to figure out what "elitist" means ... and that will be put on ice, too. Catch my drift? :) .

Whoops. After rereading my post, I do see how it can come off as somewhat militant :eek:
It most certainly wasn't meant to be. :eek:

I'm just trying to offer a more positive perspective: When you think about it, we're not the victims when someone else is being ignorant, so why be offended?

I definitely don't want to be the catalyst for ->
threadclosed.gif

:rolleyes:

Macheath

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Oh geez! The 1970s comes back to haunt us again. :eusa_doh: [huh]
That was a really bad era for clothing. I don't think I want to be compared to just about anything made around then. :rolleyes:

:eek:fftopic:

I've always wondered about the 4-inch bowties that went with evening attire in the 70's.

As if the pastel colors weren't distracting enough, somebody decided that the bowtie needs to be EXTRA conspicuous. What gives? :eusa_doh:

Macheath said:
I've always wondered about the 4-inch bowties that went with evening attire in the 70's. As if the pastel colors weren't distracting enough, somebody decided that the bowtie needs to be EXTRA conspicuous. What gives? :eusa_doh:
Part of the times. We moved thru the outrageousness of the hippy 60's into the 70's the dress clothes caught up and moved from very narrow ties and laples of the 60's to the extremes of the 70's as a wild pendulum swing, The idea was to leave behind the staid conformaty of what was before, the influence of the turbulence of the 60's bringing greater extremes.

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
I couple years ago during the big grocery store strike, my wife and I went to one of the stores late one night, and there were a few picketers out. One kid, late teens or early 20's (I was only in my late 20's myself) saw me in my leather Indy hat and black trench, and started in with "Hey Tex! Where's your horse! Yeehaw!" and other such comments. Any qualms about crossing the picket line I had flew out the window.

Had an interesting one with just my trench I'll mention for grins. We were at another grocery store, and a father with a toddler came up, and said his kid thought I was Darth Vader. I looked at the kid, and told him "Why, thank you!" The dad got all freaked out and said, "You think that was a compliment? Whoa I'm out of here!" and practically ran off with his kid.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
The only time I see fedoras in East Los is on Sundays, when the veteranos cruise Whittier Blvd. in their Chevys, on their way to Montebello City Park. Otherwise, chale!:cool2:

Actually....depending on how old the person that said this was.....he could have been -entirely- correct in his recollections of many hats.

Boyle Heights/East Los Angeles was, up until just after WWII, a completely different demographic then it is now.

It was the Jewish area of its time (as well as being the Japanese area, the Russian Area...etc), and what is now named Cesar Chavez Blvd. was once Brooklyn Avenue. Canter's deli moved -to- Fairfax from Boyle Heights, as well as one of the oldest Synagogues on the west coast of America being started in that neighborhood.

So depending on how long ago the person was remembering....hats would have been a large part of the scenery.

D...whose family is from there and so has a -thing- for the history of that much maligned side of town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic