Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
Doggy Darb said:
Not long ago, a young person shouted, "Nice hat '80's boy!" whilst I was wearing a center dent pinch front fedora. I must forgive the dating error, as I am certain the lad was unaware of Sardou's 1880's play. What unsettled me was that someone had raised a child that felt it was appropriate to insult a stranger. There was not another soul in site at the time. Not only is it rude, but in today's world it is exceedingly dangerous. I feel pity for the boy as a parent and fear for my own children, as this lad will be their peer (in the context of our society).

My straw hat usually draws comments relating to the Amish, such as: Are you Amish? (wearing a necktie, modern clothing, and jewelry) You must really like the Amish? (I assume the individual was intoxicated.) Hey! Check out Eli Yoder! (wearing a linen suit... driving an automobile)

It was said earlier that these instances usually derive from an individual being threatened by your appearance. If you take a moment to observe those who affront you, you will often notice that they are slovenly; and not so by design.

For someone like the early poster, I must say that one's appearance must originate from one's own taste. Do not let the weakness of others shape your outward expression of self. The strength of your own character and your confidence in your self are the constraints that bind you. "Know thyself, and to thine own self be true."-(Socrates/Shakespeare) If your expression of self is to tip your hat, then do so. If it is an affectation of propriety, maturity, and/or sophistication, then do not. There are things in life that cannot worn.

We know you have class, just make sure that you know it, too. If it's right for you, those comments won't offend you. Knowing who you are can take a lifetime. It's best not to let other make it more difficult.

I Can't believe that one someone would actually have the guts not just to touch a complete strangers hat on the street but to raise his own child to touch it! People these days

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Dr. Jones?

While wearing a fawn Campdraft, zip up tan sweater and jeans and heading to the Home Depot someone called out "Hey, Dr. Jones!". I suppose it's better than "Indy" (I expect that when I wear my Fed IV in a Raiders crease) but still - how exactly was I Indy like while wearing a thin ribbon hat with a "C" crown?

Oh right - I was wearing a hat. Silly me.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
FurFeltFedora said:
While wearing a fawn Campdraft, ...

While wearing the same trying to creep unnoticed through the isles of of a Wallmart I heard:

"Go ask him where his horse is." So this pre-kindergartener runs up to me and says, "Hey, Mr., where's your horse?"

"I don't have a horse. I have a dog."

Runs back to Mommy.

"He doesn't have a horse. He rides a dog."

lol

Mario

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
While wearing the same trying to creep unnoticed through the isles of of a Wallmart I heard:

"Go ask him where his horse is." So this pre-kindergartener runs up to me and says, "Hey, Mr., where's your horse?"

Runs back to Mommy.

lol

lol lol lol :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Now that's actually a really nice end to the story! :D

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I get the same thing while wearing a green stingy, shorts and a t-shirt because everyone knows that IJ wears a green stingy, right?lol

CRH said:

Runs back to Mommy.

lol

The mother was encouraging this?! :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: The stupid are breeding a vast array of future idiots without tact or manners I see. :rolleyes:
I would have told them that I wasn't a cowboy. "I'm a hitman." Let the mother explain that one to him. lol lol

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
The mother was encouraging this?! :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: The stupid are breeding a vast array of future idiots without tact or manners I see. :rolleyes:
I would have told them that I wasn't a cowboy. "I'm a hitman." Let the mother explain that one to him. lol lol

Mr. Powers, need I remind you that this took place in a Walmart. Had I announced to the young bugger that I was a 'hitman' word would have traveled at the speed of tongue and I would have soon become conspicuous and most certainly inundated with a flood of $50 offers.

:rage: <really annoyed. <

:whistling

CRH said:
Mr. Powers, need I remind you that this took place in a Walmart. Had I announced to the young bugger that I was a 'hitman' word would have traveled at the speed of tongue and I would have soon become conspicuous and most certainly inundated with a flood of $50 offers.

:rage: <really annoyed. <

:whistling

lol lol lol lol
$50!? What an insult! $5,000, now that's more like it. ;) :p

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
lol lol lol lol
$50!? What an insult! $5,000, now that's more like it. ;) :p

Once I get my Derbynator outfit together I think I should be able to walk like an Egyptian through almost any retail outlet and no-one would dare bother me.

I could, however, be inundated with $5000 offers. :eusa_doh:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:

Or, ya coulda said to the kid, 'Tell your mom Im a gigolo!' and watch the expression on her face. =o)

Stupidity comes in all shapes and sizes, and levels of danger. Outside my school one year, there were parents and kids, and siblings. I was out front, when I saw a parent pick up a toddler, and place him on the seat of my 570 lb motorcycle. I was completely floored. I walked over and had to use everything I had to nicely request that he remove his kid from my bike. What if the pipes and engine were still hot? What if the bike fell over? I still cant believe it.

Sorry about the non-hat content, but the idea of a parent not only encouraging, but assisting a child in an obvious act of bad manners re touching things that they shouldnt, spurred me to relay this little story.

scottyrocks said:
Or, ya coulda said to the kid, 'Tell your mom Im a gigolo!' and watch the expression on her face. =o)

Stupidity comes in all shapes and sizes, and levels of danger. Outside my school one year, there were parents and kids, and siblings. I was out front, when I saw a parent pick up a toddler, and place him on the seat of my 570 lb motorcycle. I was completely floored. I walked over and had to use everything I had to nicely request that he remove his kid from my bike. What if the pipes and engine were still hot? What if the bike fell over? I still cant believe it.

Sorry about the non-hat content, but the idea of a parent not only encouraging, but assisting a child in an obvious act of bad manners re touching things that they shouldnt, spurred me to relay this little story.

If you say you are a gigolo, make sure you say it someone who won't offer to pay you. :eusa_doh: :p
They put a child on your motorcycle?! Geez! That idiot had no sense. On top of it all----it wasn't theirs. Hands off until you pay me for it. Its not a ride at Disneyworld. No manners and no respect for other people's property. They sure would have tried to sue you if the bike fell on the child though. :eusa_doh: :rage:

BurlyNate

New in Town
jamespowers said:
Dillinger probably would have just shot him. ;) :p
Ah the good old days. :p

I might be a bit young to understand, but why would Dillinger shoot someone just trying to get his attention?

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Bruce Wayne said:
A while back on THIS forum, someone asked me if I was a hacedic jew because I like wide brimmed dark fedoras. :eusa_doh:
Depends on if you've got a long beard and curlicue sideburns. If yes, then completely understandable. If not, then, well... :eusa_doh:

jwalls

Vendor
I once had a rabbi compliment my employer on hiring a "proper Jewish man" when he saw me wearing one of my black fedoras. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner