Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The end of the homeless look... I hope?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
With the economic downturn I think people are heading away from the mad max scavenger look in ruddy jeans and worn out coats and going for the glamour of being wealthy. Maybe I just notice because all my post grunge era friends are starting to snazz up... yet What do you think?

Is the homeless look hitting the skids?

tonypaj

Practically Family
I do not wish an end to anything. Things will evolve, the social concepts regarding clothes and how to wear them evolve, and rightly so. All I hope is that more people could find their own true way of wearing what they wish to wear, without being judged for it, without being forced to it by peer pressure or opinions by others.

Esthetically pleasing is always pleasant, but my esthetically pleasing is different from my son's. I also see his point of view.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
tonypaj said:
I do not wish an end to anything. Things will evolve, the social concepts regarding clothes and how to wear them evolve, and rightly so. All I hope is that more people could find their own true way of wearing what they wish to wear, without being judged for it, without being forced to it by peer pressure or opinions by others.

Esthetically pleasing is always pleasant, but my esthetically pleasing is different from my son's. I also see his point of view.

Well said. Tollerance and compassion in one package -

repeatclicks

Practically Family
tonypaj said:

:eusa_clap

Also, not a chance that the 'homeless' look is fading out. Equally amusing is the 'jeans going out of fashion' thread on here. Get real. lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
repeatclicks said:
not a chance that the 'homeless' look is fading out. Equally amusing is the 'jeans going out of fashion' thread on here. Get real. lol
QFT

Edward

Bartender
You want to know where mainstream fashion will be here in england in two years time (or in the US in about five - that seems to be about the difference in the cycle in my observation)? Look at what the gay community are wearing out clubbing now. More effort gonig into dressing up there again now, though the 'I spent three hours trying to look this unkempt' approach is still in evidence rather strongly there too. My feeling from observing gay friends who are on the scene is that they're edging towards a smarter but still very much casual style.

tonypaj said:

I think there is a large misconception in society that evolution is inherently better. A comparison of golden era clothing to present day clothing is proof that evolution is not always better.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
i prefer the look of true homeless people to the slobs around here. the real homeless aesthetic has a certain usefulness to it opposed to sweatpants and uggs. hell plenty of homeless guys wear suits at least.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Son_of_Atropos said:
I think there is a large misconception in society that evolution is inherently better.

That is SO true! The "thinking" you describe so well has far reaching consequences and drives me crazy. Another possible misconception (less widespread, but still problematic) is that everything was better in the past.

Either way, let's try to be tolerant of the tastes and stylistic proclivities of others. Diversity is not a threat.

zetwal said:
That is SO true! The "thinking" you describe so well has far reaching consequences and drives me crazy. Another possible misconception (less widespread, but still problematic) is that everything was better in the past.

Either way, let's try to be tolerant of the tastes and stylistic proclivities of others. Diversity is not a threat.

The only problem is that I have to look at it though. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot