Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Green Hornet movie Fedora

hulkamad

Familiar Face
Hello all,

I managed to find some behind the scenes pictures from the 2010 Green Hornet movie starring Seth Rogan. I can't speak for how good or bad the movie will be as I know very little about the character of the Green Hornet. But he is wearing a fedora and I thought some on here would enjoy analyzing and discussing it. Kato played by Jay Chou is also wearing an interesting hat. Enjoy!

green_hornet1.jpg

green_hornet2.jpg

green_hornet4.jpg

green_hornet3.jpg

green_hornet5.jpg

green_hornet7.jpg

Any theories on make? Size? Dimensions? Lets here 'em!

Torpedo

One Too Many
The Green Honet's hat looks like a 50's-60's style stingy, with a c-crown. Typical proportions. I would dare to say it seems to have a velvet finish. Is he wearing something similar to a frock coat, or a trench? It does not match waistcoat and trousers, so probably the latter.

Kato's, of course, is a chauffeur cap.

Not that I am overly familiarized with the original characters, but the producers at least seem to have respected their appearance - unlike that "adaptation" (for stylistical reasons of course) :rage: that was made with The Spirit last year.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Just as a matter of TV trivia, Kato in the original 60's TV series was played by Bruce Lee (pictured here with Van Williams as the Green Hornet back then):

the-green-hornet-kato.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family
Having always been a Green Hornet fan I couldn't resist this little jewel of a Portis last month when it went up for auction:

100_2559.jpg

Even before seeing the photos you posted Hulkamed, I had dubbed it the "Green Hornet". It's being re-built at Optimo as we speak! :D
I asked if Graham had done any of the hats for the this motion picture and Tiffany said no.

I for one cannot wait for the movie, nor for the hat to come home from Chicago! :)

A little more trivia,....the Green Hornet was the son of the Lone Rangers nephew.

Edward

Bartender
Torpedo said:
The Green Honet's hat looks like a 50's-60's style stingy, with a c-crown. Typical proportions. I would dare to say it seems to have a velvet finish. Is he wearing something similar to a frock coat, or a trench? It does not match waistcoat and trousers, so probably the latter.

That was my instant analysis also. From the overall look, I would have said we're looking at a general setting around that early part of the Sixties (pre-Kenney assassination) which was really still the Fifties. My guess, anyhow.

I agree regarding the hat, it definitely looks like it has some sort of plush / velveteen finish, which I think I am right in saying had something of a revival in the sixties(?). The coat looks to me like a mac of sorts. It has what appears to my untrained eye to be a fairly late fifties / early sixties sb pattern as seen in many overcoats then. The overall cut and what I can see of the fabric itself looks to me like a wool gab, which was typical for a sb mac around that period. I like it. Great colour (actually reminds me of the old RUC uniforms!).

Not that I am overly familiarized with the original characters, but the producers at least seem to have respected their appearance - unlike that "adaptation" (for stylistical reasons of course) :rage: that was made with The Spirit last year.

Can't claim any experience with the original Spirit, but I liked what they did with him a lot.... based on the original drawings I've seen. I had no problem with the change from blue to black but then (as far as I understand the comic book industry) a midnight blue in a comic is so often used to represent black that it doesn't seem a stretch for me. The one thing I did feel was simply incongruous was his footwear.... okay, leather-soled dress shoes might not be the ideal thing for leaping around the rooftops, but the Converse just looked all wrong. I'm not convinced that they wouldn't be much more uncomfortable either..... maybe dead guys don't need arch support?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Seth Rogan? This movie will undoubtedly suck.

It doesn't matter whether they play it straight (unlikely), camp it up and go for laughs (likely), try and honor the radio drama and earlier films (why even bother, 90% of today's audience has no memory of the character), or totally reimagine it (aka do whatever the hell they want)... whichever approach. It will suck.

Sorry, but I just had to say it.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Originally Posted by Doctor Strange
Seth Rogan? This movie will undoubtedly suck.

Originally Posted by High Pockets
That's OK,....I was thinking it all along.

Hmm....you two aren't the only ones...

Would that be four? Those pictures above are enough to stop me from watching the movie. Well, almost as I will probably torture myself in the hopes of salvation. I grew up watching the Green Hornet and had the car dolls and the works...lol

I truly hope that those are practice shots and the clothing will be substituted. As I for one would never wear that combination even if I was trying to look like the Green Hornet. The Hornet had better taste than that.

I would post my green hat but it is not showing up as green in the pictures I took. Horrible lighting is to blame, I'm sure. It is a rather nice 50s Churchill Ltd. Beaver "25" Gothamite in a B Pine color.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
suitedcboy said:
I'm with you Doctor Strange. I can't imagine Seth Rogan doing this any justice. He's ugly and his wardrobe guy dresses him funny.........
lol, a much better way than I put it....

Goose.

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
Just as a matter of TV trivia, Kato in the original 60's TV series was played by Bruce Lee (pictured here with Van Williams as the Green Hornet back then):

the-green-hornet-kato.jpg
Serious...is that hat too small for the GH? I wear mine two fingers or less (mostly less) off the ears and close to the brow. Maybe I've been wrong all these years (???)

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Serious...is that hat too small for the GH? I wear mine two fingers or less (mostly less) off the ears and close to the brow. Maybe I've been wrong all these years (???)

Stingies are meant to sit a bit higher; I think GH's hat sits especially high so as to accomodate his mask.
The hat the new guy is wearing has too low a crown, I think. Plus he's ugly and his wardrobe dresses him funny!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner